We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011  (Read 74474 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011
« Reply #660 on: September 03, 2011, 11:40:43 PM »
Rather have emeralds myself. And Natalia photographed a beautiful diamond tiara. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #661 on: September 11, 2011, 12:09:07 AM »
I'm so happy that Dunedin's first Rugby World Cup match is now over, especially the Farmers' Market that preceded it in the morning. We had wall to wall people there, including literally thousands of visitors from around NZ and from overseas including the 3 gentlemen below. But I'm moaning because Argentina didn't win the game. I was never going to support the English because they've stolen the All Blacks' playing colours. No reason on earth to wear black and in fact when they first ran onto the field there was an uproar, not supportive, from the capacity crowd. Although the English won, the great Johnny Wilkinson missed several very easy goal kicks. Unfortunately the Argentinians missed more. They seemed to kick as if they had to compensate for wind direction, a no-brainer in Dunedin's brand new glass-covered stadium.
(Another moan, since Dunetin rate-payers are paying for most of it.)

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #662 on: September 11, 2011, 10:08:25 AM »
Lesley i watched the match and as a English man i was not pleased with the black at all,like you its not a colour i associate with England.I thought we played very poor and was very lucky not to loose it in the last few minutes.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #663 on: September 11, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »
Of course Dave, you're the man to recognise "poorly playing" ;)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #664 on: September 11, 2011, 08:42:41 PM »
The black shirt was specifically chosen to wind up the kiwis. It has worked. I think it is a daft choice, but then the All Blacks alternative strip is white! ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #665 on: September 11, 2011, 10:25:11 PM »
It has worked in winding up the kiwi supporters, like me, but the All Blacks themselves just smile enigmatically and don't bother about it.

We watched Wales and South Africa last night, a bruising game which Wales only just lost. A shame as they played better I think and certainly had the better of the ball. I felt the last play was stopped too early, barely full time and the Welshman could have got up the field for a drop goal.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #666 on: September 12, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »
The alternative football strip of England is red. The Welsh are adult enough not to be wound up by that. No matter what colour you choose, there will be a team whose colours it is!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #667 on: September 12, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »
The alternative football strip of England is red. The Welsh are adult enough not to be wound up by that. No matter what colour you choose, there will be a team whose colours it is!
Yes, but the Welsh haven't been called the "All Reds" for years and years, have they?
I think the All Blacks have a case for their annoyance. It's unnecessary for England to choose that strip and rather rude to their hosts. Whether it has been done out of malice or stupidity is a moot point  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #668 on: September 12, 2011, 08:42:26 PM »

It's blue at the moment actually, thanks to the kit manufacturers who hope to sell millions of strips and make huge, and obscene, profits
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #669 on: September 12, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »
Blue! Better than grey! There are several of the rugby teams that have chosen black as their alternative strip, with Wales, Argentina and Canada being three. The England strip is mainly white with some red. Couldn't they just reverse the pattern and make it mainly red with white?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #670 on: September 12, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »
I've often thought that the Warriors' woes (NZ's Rugby League team, playing in the Australian League competition) are caused by their having a new uniform every year and even more than once a year sometimes, with different colours in different proportions just about every time they're seen. Must give them some kind of split personality syndrome and it totally confuses the fans. ???

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #671 on: September 13, 2011, 09:04:57 AM »
I've often thought that the Warriors' woes (NZ's Rugby League team, playing in the Australian League competition) are caused by their having a new uniform every year and even more than once a year sometimes, with different colours in different proportions just about every time they're seen. Must give them some kind of split personality syndrome and it totally confuses the fans. ???

At least they are playing "proper" rugby not that namby-pamby 15 a-side game!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Colin

« Reply #672 on: September 13, 2011, 11:32:39 AM »
David!  A Devonian supporting Rugby League, or a Notherner .who happens to live in Devon? Despite being a rugby union supporter I live close enough to RL territory and watch many matches on TV.  RL has come a long way in the past 20 years. As a result it is no longer 26 rather overweight lumbering guys training on pints and pies.  It is a fast attractive game with super athletes.  Unoin has some lessons to learn here I think. Unfortunately professionalism has ruined the natural rugby union game forever   I refuse to believe that my fellow countrrymen in Scotland XV are the best 15 players eligible for Scotland.  They are probably the best PROFESSIONAL players available.  The four home unions should look to reinstating amatuer international teams again.  There are many excellent club players who  simply cannot afford to turn pro
and we are robbed of their flair and talents.
CSH  North Wales

Per ardua ad astra

Colin

« Reply #673 on: September 13, 2011, 11:42:06 AM »
Lesley.  Never mind the rugby - how was the Farmers' Market?  Bet they didn't expect the tunrnout !
CSH  North Wales

Per ardua ad astra

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #674 on: September 13, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
David!  A Devonian supporting Rugby League, or a Notherner .who happens to live in Devon?

.................training on pints and pies................................

I'm a Huddersfield lad by birth Colin and that's where the Rugby League was first formed. I used to play a bit in my youth, it was the training that attracted me ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal