We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011  (Read 74463 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011
« Reply #675 on: September 13, 2011, 08:38:03 PM »
Colin, I don't have a final gate count yet (we have 3 entrances, with counting in quarter hours breaks from 6am until we closed at 1.30pm) but will get it today when I have a meeting with my boss. The market itself went wonderfully well with a big expansion out onto the street which we've never been permitted before. Lots of fun and though hard work and sore feet, I think we can say it was a great success. First new potatoes of the season too. Yum yum.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:44:39 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #676 on: September 13, 2011, 08:43:49 PM »
I used to be a fan of league but in recent years the management, money and sex scandals that haunt the Australian game have put me right off, along with the on-field violence. I don't enjoy seeing grown men trying to beat the life out of each other. Union has its incidents too of course, but comparatively, it is a clean game, here at least.

You may be right about the Scotland team Colin. Commentators are suggesting that Georgia could beat them.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #677 on: September 13, 2011, 10:49:49 PM »
You may be right about the Scotland team Colin. Commentators are suggesting that Georgia could beat them.
We are going to the Scotland v England match, so I don't have Georgia on my mind! :P
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #678 on: September 14, 2011, 02:57:08 AM »
What about Sweet Georgia Brown? :D

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #679 on: September 14, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
Don't think I'll be writing any more gardening articles for the Daily Mail Weekend Magazine. Just received payment for my February feature on snowdrop collecting. So it only took SIX MONTHS of nagging them to finally get paid!!! That on top of the fact that their hacks tried to mess around with my copy and would have turned parts of it into ignorant-sounding hack rubbish just to suit their house 'style' if I hadn't pointed out all their mistakes and corrected them. No, really don't think I'll be doing anything for them again  >:(
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #680 on: September 23, 2011, 07:09:26 AM »
Spotted today on the internet ... grieve with me please ...

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: - Knowing when to come in out of the rain; - Why the early bird gets the worm; ... - Life isn't always fair; - And maybe it was my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies, don't spend more than you can earn and adults, not children, are in charge. His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion. Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault. Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement. Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility, and his son, Reason. He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers - I Know My Rights, I Want It Now, Someone Else Is To Blame and I'm A Victim. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, do nothing.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #681 on: September 23, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
Amen, brother.  :'(
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #682 on: September 23, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »
Very apt.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #683 on: September 23, 2011, 09:31:05 AM »
Too true. :'(
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #684 on: September 23, 2011, 11:26:37 AM »
Totally agree!!!
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #685 on: September 23, 2011, 06:11:14 PM »
Fortunately Common Sense is like the Sun, it keeps coming up every morning!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #686 on: September 23, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »
Fortunately Common Sense is like the Sun, it keeps coming up every morning!

Often shrouded in mist though Tim?    :D ::)
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #687 on: September 24, 2011, 10:18:49 AM »
The examples are legion.  We often go to Troon harbour to see what birds are about.  Over the years access has been denied to more and more of the area with a proliferation of warning  notices.  The most stupid is "DANGER DEEP WATER".  Who would have thought that a harbour for large ships would have deep water !!!  You would injure yourself more if you fell 15 feet into shallow water and hit the bottom
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #688 on: September 24, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »
Is this when the tide's in Tom, which case it would be deep, meaning full?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #689 on: September 24, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »
In fact we have been mourning his loss for many years now. If he comes up every morning, maybe someone will, in time, have the gumption to put out a helping hand and haul him to the surface again for a second life. Just occasionally those who miss him rebel and make such a fuss that the powers who destroyed him retract and give hime another chance.

Sorry Cliff. I'm writing a lot of twaddle here. What brought on this particular and heartfelt note?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal