We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011  (Read 74561 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011
« Reply #765 on: November 11, 2011, 01:19:02 AM »
That's really quite tragic. A friend's daughter got engaged last Christmas. In April her fiancé felt poorly and had some tests. Signet ring colon cancer. They gave him two years at most. They get married in January and are putting on a brave face. As you say Martin, life sucks.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #766 on: November 22, 2011, 10:21:56 PM »
Not much of a moan in comparison but I'm not happy either so...

I've had a lot of dreams since Teddy died, some pretty awful and some "ordinary" if not especially happy. Last night's though was odd in that while there were various unidentified people and animals involved, I also dreamed that I had 4 seedlings of x Jancaeamonda, the Jancaea Ramonda hybrid. I went out this morning to look but it was bound to be a disappointment. Not only were there no seedlings, there wasn't even a pot and never had been. It was such a believable dream as it happened. Maybe I'm just losing it completely. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #767 on: November 22, 2011, 11:09:02 PM »
Not much of a moan in comparison but I'm not happy either so...

I've had a lot of dreams since Teddy died, some pretty awful and some "ordinary" if not especially happy. Last night's though was odd in that while there were various unidentified people and animals involved, I also dreamed that I had 4 seedlings of x Jancaeamonda, the Jancaea Ramonda hybrid. I went out this morning to look but it was bound to be a disappointment. Not only were there no seedlings, there wasn't even a pot and never had been. It was such a believable dream as it happened. Maybe I'm just losing it completely. ???

I rather like the idea that your subconscious is trying to give you something nice to help make up for your loss. Quite considerate for a subconscious.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #768 on: November 23, 2011, 12:16:23 AM »
Well maybe, but it would have hit the mark better if I'd dreamed about a pot I really did have, and there had been seedlings in that. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #769 on: November 23, 2011, 10:32:05 AM »
Well maybe, but it would have hit the mark better if I'd dreamed about a pot I really did have, and there had been seedlings in that. ::)

The subconscious means well but unfortunately it's often not too clever. You have to give it points for at least trying.  ;D
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #770 on: November 23, 2011, 07:58:43 PM »
 :)

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #771 on: November 24, 2011, 07:52:58 AM »
Similar situation here Martin,our son went through an awful time,His girlfriend got a job in Leicester and he offered to move with her ,but she wanted to wait untill she had settled into the job first, so they decided too have a break for a while,whilst there she was taken ill ,and she would text Chris daily two or three times,and laughing that her mother was having to push her around in wheelchair,finally she went home feeling slightly better and text Chris on this particular friday evening to say that when she was better they should get back together again,Tragically she collapsed ad died at 10 o'clock on the Saturday morning poor chap was absolutely distraught,she was only 27

Thankfully now a year and a half later he has met some one else
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #772 on: November 25, 2011, 04:02:16 AM »
Just a minor irritation: Lucy is coming home from school (we think) with dozens of insect bites. Black fly, mosquito or what? We don't know. She's the only one in the family affected, so either it's where she is and we aren't, or she tastes good! She gets antihistamine to stop the itching, as the spots she's scratched will scar!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #773 on: November 25, 2011, 07:12:38 AM »
Fresh Aloe Vera on the bite will help stop the itching as well.  It seals it off from the air I think, and the itching diminshes rapidly.  Works for mosquitoes and other things, well at least for me anyway.  I've also found that the bottled Aloe Vera for sunburn relief has similar effects, although not quite as itch-free as fresh from a leaf.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #774 on: November 25, 2011, 07:26:53 AM »
Thanks Paul. I'd forgotten about Aloe Vera. Must get a plant. It should grow outside here?

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #775 on: November 25, 2011, 08:05:21 AM »
Anthony,

It even grows outside in a protected spot for me.  Just near the back wall of the house, but sailed through winter despite at least -9oC out in the open at one point this winter. 8)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:13:21 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #776 on: November 25, 2011, 08:18:53 AM »
A friend ( I bought a couple of gecko cages off her via 'Trademe' and we got talking about wildlife - the four legged variety, not my youth), who is a nurse but keeps a frog (she also carves deer antler, bone and green stone http://www.bonewithattitude.net.nz/index.php - really neat stuff), called round to drop off some home-grown maggots, which will turn into flies for my geckos. She reckons it's sand flies. Lucy has no recollection of ever being bitten, but it must be most days, and I would suggest each fly has several attempts!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:21:04 AM by Anthony Darby »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #777 on: November 27, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »
Sandflies are brutal little beasts. They bite unseen unless you're in an area like Manapouri or somewhere on the West Coast where the air is thick with them and you can't help but see them in clouds. But here in the garden a single one will bite and you only know it's there when the sharp end goes in and releases its poison. You can still smash it sometimes, but it's already done the damage. I'd endorse Paul's note about Aloe vera. It works well as a de-itcher.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #778 on: November 30, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »
This sign is above the Burger King in Pakuranga, East Auckland.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #779 on: November 30, 2011, 11:15:19 AM »
Good Laud, what wonderful spelling.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal