We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011  (Read 74552 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011
« Reply #840 on: December 16, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »
Could be, Maggi ;D Has to be one in the hills on the other side of the fjord, and it is a movable one! ..and shortliving, it disappeared a few hours ago :o

Ah, that will be one of those Northern lights!   :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #841 on: December 16, 2011, 05:44:25 PM »
Cliff, the other side of the fjord is west, not north ::)

Maybe it is a Western light?
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #842 on: December 16, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
Could be, Maggi ;D Has to be one in the hills on the other side of the fjord, and it is a movable one! ..and shortliving, it disappeared a few hours ago :o

Such lights are expensive.... they must have turned it off when they saw what it cost  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #843 on: December 16, 2011, 06:10:20 PM »

Such lights are expensive.... they must have turned it off when they saw what it cost  ;D
Yes! You're right! I got the source: A little south to west is Scotland. . . . . . ;)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #844 on: December 16, 2011, 10:38:35 PM »
Cliff, the other side of the fjord is west, not north ::)

Maybe it is a Western light?

Perhaps a Best Western then?
Cliff Booker

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #845 on: December 16, 2011, 10:47:23 PM »
I ordered 3x 10 port seed feeders for birds in the garden. When they arrived one had two feeding points missing and the other two had one missing each. They must have seen they were missing. I phoned to complain and the guy said "do you have any at home to make them complete" grrr
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #846 on: December 17, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »
That damned cat - one of those THREE damned cats - was sitting on a trough when I drove in from my work yesterday. I opened the car door, picked a handful of gravel off the drive and threw it. Hit it too but only lightly because of the distance away. It left but when I went to have a look found it had been scratching among Oxalis laciniata which is doing quite well in the trough in two separate crevices. Not enough to dislodge the bulbs but enough to bare the underground leaf stems. I'll have to put wire netting over the troughs.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #847 on: December 17, 2011, 08:22:41 PM »
Or razor wire.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #848 on: December 17, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »
Cliff Booker

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #849 on: December 17, 2011, 10:04:12 PM »
Maybe I'll leave a note that I'll use its guts for garters - if only I used such things. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #850 on: December 18, 2011, 03:17:07 AM »
Moan of moans.  Since the election of a right-wing gang of sleazebags called The Conservative Party Canada's international reputation has been in a nose-dive.  Foreign policy contrary to everything we thought we stood for has been tarnished and now they've pulled us out of the Koto Accord.  George Monbiot has summed up the situation perfectly in his recent article in The Guardian. Tempers are flaring here.  Pierre Trudeau's son, now an MP, let loose in Parliament last week and called the "?envirnoment minister?" a name which neatly sums up him and his party, unfortunately he had to apologize to the Speaker of the House.  

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cif-green/2009/nov/30/canada-tar-sands-copenhagen-climate-deal

Luckily I do not know a single person who voted for this party.

We all knew they had a hidden agenda and now with a majority we are getting a nasty taste of it. But what lies ahead?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #851 on: December 18, 2011, 04:02:24 AM »
At least our "new" govt - the same as last time but with a few new faces and more Greens in opposition, is reasonably reliably centre-right rather than extreme, thank heaven. The one real danger was left out in the cold but his party's slogan was "Protect the farmers from the Emissions Trading scheme." Since the farmers or their stock make a large proportion of carbon emissions and pollution of waterways and lakes, I don't see why they shouldn't pay a fair share of the new taxes the rest of us have to pay for petrol and many other things. The ETS is unpopular with everyone but it seems we are locked into it, as well as the Kyoto Agreement, unlike Australia and the USA.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #852 on: December 18, 2011, 04:18:00 AM »
I don't like these trading schemes, where one country buys another's quota of pollution. It's as bad as Japan enlisting land-locked countries to back their barbaric whaling industry.

That article is not that recent John? This is: http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/12/15/justin-trudeau-calls-on-peter-kent-to-issue-his-own-apology-after-expletive-filled-commons-clash/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 04:21:57 AM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #853 on: December 18, 2011, 07:56:30 AM »
I suspect that I might get shot down in butter-burning flames here, but politics and religion have more often than not been avoided on this forum and long may it remain so.  I can fully understand the frustrations, disappointments and shattered dreams in individual circumstances/countries,etc., but how long will it be before the radicals, fundamentalists and Raving Loonies gather to add their words of hate, bile and discord. Where should poor Maggi draw the line, when would she be forced to step in, what might attract the stern red pen of Aberdeen?
We have had a number of heated debates over the years, but at least they were about our beloved plants.  I, for one, hope that it remains that way!
Cliff Booker

Martinr

« Reply #854 on: December 18, 2011, 08:59:50 AM »
I'm with Cliff on that one but I can't resist adding one comment....at least most of us, but I doubt quite all, on this forum can say what we like on these topics in public without fear of anything worse than a verbal disagreement and...we have the opportunity to use our votes to change things. Which is just as well because ruling parties are like soap operas, the longer they are in place the more bizarre there plots become :(

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal