We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South African Bulbs 2011  (Read 96446 times)

PeterT

Re: South African Bulbs 2011
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 08:28:52 AM »
I have to agree with you Paul, the extrems that plants evolve with in their natural climates are not the climates we think of them occupying. Those extremes may kill the plants in cultivation but often the plants survive and we discover their tolerances are much greater than expected. I had Massinia pustulata seedlings survive -15 C last winter for six weeks, the bulbs tried to flower this winter but I think have finally died at -18 C Our normal winter cold is about -8 C, these are the coldest winters we have experianced in my life and I would not have left these plants out if I had known what was coming!
Cryptostephaus, Clivia, Cyrtanthus speciosus, falcatus, Sprekelia, will all take some frost, this is of course not the same as hard freezing for prolonged periods, which is a more doubtfull affair.
Also having plants well drained and dry will much increace frost tolerance 
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Hristo

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2011, 09:43:49 AM »
Always fascinating how plants will behave in 'unexpected' ways, all this experience underlines for me the need to observe how various species behave in cultivation in your prevailing conditions and to take your lead from the plant!

Sown in 2007 this is my first flowering of Gladiolus splendens, given that G.tristis can overwinter here under the snow I suspect a spare of this will be put out in the garden to see just how tough it is! ;)
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »
Wow, Chris.  Unusual flower shape.  So un-gladiolus-like. :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hristo

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »
According to the PBS this used to be Anomalesia splendens but has now been lumped. ;) ;)
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »
chris would you mind doing a pic of the whole plant please.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Hristo

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »
Here it is! Form isn't great but then it's on a windowsill in Bulgaria!! ;)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 06:08:28 PM »
Nice gladiolus Chris 8)

On a windowsill in Ireland, Lachenalia pustulata blue form
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

PeterT

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
I'd rate G splendens as more tender than tristis Chris. It barely survived rather dry last winter for me, when it would certainly have frozen to the bottom of its pot although plunged, and I have been growing it without heat for 8 years, I expect to have lost it this winter though, as well as even colder, the south african corms were wetter this time when the frost hit.  :'(
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:21:19 PM by PeterT »

Hristo

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2011, 08:07:35 PM »
Ashley,
Nice pustulata, one of my fav Lachs. :D

Peter,
Taa for that info, I'll only risk it if I have a spare cormlet or two, I've been surprised by what can make it in the open here, but as ever discretion is the better part of valour! 8)

PeterT

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2011, 08:29:28 PM »
yes the lachanaelias are lovely Michael, Ashley, sorry should have said.
Polyexena ensifolia looks like it is growing a new set of leaves after the frost messed its first lot but it self seeds anyway. You could try it outside Chris. My  pot of P maughanii seedlings are dead. I have 2 new bulbs of it, but definately more tender though they came through last winter.

Hristo

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 08:38:03 PM »
I have enough P.ensifolia to give it a go outdoors, it would be interesting to see how it coped! Your Massonia observations are fascinating, were they at -8 to -15c and fully exposed or under snow?

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2011, 08:47:23 PM »
Looks very snowy in Bulgaria. 8) ;)

Thanks to a very generous friend I am growing a few south african bulbs, actually Romulea sabulosa and Daubenya aurea are blooming.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

PeterT

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2011, 08:54:48 PM »
Beautifull Hans.
Chris they are in a greenhouse with no sides, only a roof, some snow blew in, but just as far as the Massonias
Some Daubenya seedlings seem fine, just growing very slowly but obviously quite hardy.

arillady

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »
I do not envy those of you who are growing plants in pots on windowsills in snowy countries. It would be so much harder to keep them going. Any attempts I have tried on my windowsills never succeed. Hence my concentrating on those plants that will grow outside in our conditions - maybe with a little extra help.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

angie

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2011, 11:41:37 PM »
Hans those are two beauties  8)

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal