We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Year's Resolutions  (Read 3076 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
New Year's Resolutions
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:54:25 AM »
Just a bit of fun, this thread, but I resolve to make more time to post flower pictures and generally contribute more to the forum this year than last, when work pressures (including spending too much time on Facebook, largely as research for a new cartoon book I'm just completing about Facebook) made contributing to the forum difficult. I also resolve to actually sort out the mess that is my garden this year, after years of neglecting it due, again, to work - pics of the amazing transformation to be posted in due course.

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
Anyone else want to put their gardening-related New Year resolutions here, so they can be held to account later?  ;)
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »
Just a bit of fun, this thread, but I resolve to make more time to post flower pictures and generally contribute more to the forum this year than last, when work pressures (including spending too much time on Facebook, largely as research for a new cartoon book I'm just completing about Facebook) made contributing to the forum difficult. I also resolve to actually sort out the mess that is my garden this year, after years of neglecting it due, again, to work - pics of the amazing transformation to be posted in due course.

Hi Martin, I'm curious about your "take" or assessment of Facebook.  As a IT technologist, Facebook (FB) evokes a strong love/hate response from me, mostly the latter (for a variety of reasons), but of course I'm intrigued by some of it's perverse magical wonders. I'd like to see what about FB inspires some humor. In light of FB, you might appreciate this recent link, some fascinating stuff here:

Trends for 2011 where technology and culture are heading, for better or worse ;). Tips: ignore the download link (it's an ad), stop the slideshow (it goes too fast to read) & use the left/right navigation buttons instead, and opt for the full screen button in the lower right (text is tiny otherwise).
http://www.slideshare.net/jwtintelligence/2f-100-things-to-watch-in-2011-6306251

I like the idea of Botanical 2011 New Year's Resolutions, here are some of mine, subject to revision or complete abandonment ;D ::)

1.  Grow as many Epimedium plants and seedlings as possible, and do a full assessment of all of them.
2.  Create an Epimedium web page (update my sorry, way-out-of-date website)
3.  Hybridize the beejeebers out of my Epimediums.
4.  Rip up sod on a large area of hillside that's too steep & difficult to mow, plant extensively with Epimedium and specialty groundcover plants.
5.  Actively initiate a hybridization program on woodland Iris.
6.  Reinvigorate a Sempervivum collection.
7.  Explore hardy Aizoaceae possibilities.
8.  Plant out tree seedlings that have spent too much time & grown too large in my so-called "nursery area".
9.  Get my act together propagating about 8-10 Allium hybrid selections, get them into the hands of chosen nurseries (great "trading potential").
10. Allium garden extension for new seedlings and additional seedling trials.
11. Photograph garden plants extensively.
12. Participate here on SRGC, also on NARGS & Alpine-L   :) :) :)

.... oh, and 13) run like wind ;D

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »
I'm going to try NOT to clean the inside of the greenhouse with a pressure washer in January, unless I really feel like an icy cold dirty shower.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 07:46:52 PM »
If you achieve that lot Mark, you will have joined the small race of superhumans. 8)

I put a couple else where on NY's day I think but here they are again, and so far, I've kept both. A close thing with the second one though. I've resolved to look after my potted plants better and I've promised myself I won't buy any more Nutella (or similar products under different brand names.

I'm also determined, like Martin, to clean up the mess that is my garden. I started to weed this morning as soon as it was light enough, about 5.45am, did well until 8 than had a shower and breakfast. The day is dull so I hope to get more done later.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martinr

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:22:42 PM »
I'm another who must get the garden tidy and look after the plants in pots more diligently but most important of all.........................................I MUST NOT WASTE MORE HOURS PLAYING SPIDER SOLITAIRE ON THIS B****Y COMPUTER :-\ :-\ :-\

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 09:19:59 PM »
I circled the cat, I circled the cat, stupid cat ;D  Thanks Maggi, for pouring gasoline on the flames of addiction ;D
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 02:32:57 AM »
I circled the cat, I circled the cat, stupid cat ;D  Thanks Maggi, for pouring gasoline on the flames of addiction ;D
Thanks for the tip, Mark - I won't be opening those links from Maggi! ;D
My resolution will be to sow all the seedex seed before we leave for the Alpines Conference in Nottingham!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »
Martin,

Ah, so it isn't just me who plays too much Spider Solitaire.  What a relief!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 11:07:03 AM »
Martin, can I tempt you with these alternatives?

Maggi,

You're pure evil!!  I used to think you were lovely!  Little did I know your mean streak.  I've tried the darn cat (they say it's impossible to herd cats  ;D), I've crashed the darn car.... I probably should be thankful that the third one doesn't load for me.  :o :o :o
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 11:10:07 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Martinr

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 05:51:49 PM »

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 06:23:09 PM »
No, No, No, well, just one little peek, no no!!! I love cats. ;)

My resolution is to spend more time on my allotments. It's just that I have to go and see my pleiones and play with my cypripediums, and talk to all my other orchids. The allotments are in the opposite direction. It's their fault, really. ;) ;) ;)

Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 06:30:51 PM »
yet another wasted evening
Wasted EVENING?! Huh!! You should be so lucky.... I've been chasing that ruddy cat on and off for over TWO YEARS!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gunilla

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 09:49:55 PM »
Maggi, the poor cat must be really tired now, stop chasing it  ;D
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal