We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus sandersii for swap  (Read 12505 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Galanthus sandersii for swap
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
David, lots of Ebay sellers are good honest people.
I agree.  I think this was a mistake when entering a new selling area - David don't tell me you have never made a mistake  :)

Mark is right, there are lots of good Ebay sellers (indeed, several are members of this forum) and it can be an excellent way to buy.  
I also agree with Arthur that this seemed to be a genuine mistake which Bobbydog admitted and is now in the process of putting right.    
Thanks to all for the support here on the forum and behind the scenes of the forum  ;D  I think we will have a good outcome and I hope Bobbydog will now stay on board and share in the wide knowledge and support of this brilliant forum.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:24:12 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2011, 06:58:35 PM »
I have been reading this thread and hoping the outcome would be positive.  I can understand how Bobbydog has made a genuine mistake being a beginner.  Just last year I found some yellow nivalis and was so excited.....this year they are green.  I am fairly new to snowdrops too Bobbydog and I am wondering if your huge clumps were stressed and turned yellow.  The experts on here would know the reasons why.

There are A LOT of con artists on ebay and you have to be very careful and stick with the good ones.  I sell on ebay in the summer (my imported rare daylilies) and I am very very fussy what I sell to the point of driving myself insane.  I never sell what I would not be happy to receive myself.  Just wish more sellers were like that as it gives ebay a bad name.  I would be lost without ebay and have many great buys on there - clothes, printers, perfume, pots, plants etc etc etc.

A happy ending :)
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »

David, lots of Ebay sellers are good honest people.

I agree.

I think this was a mistake when entering a new selling area - David don't tell me you have never made a mistake  :)

Make 'em all the time Art, if fact I've got it off to fine art, but never on Ebay.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »
 ;D

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 08:12:35 PM »
 8) ;D 8)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

bobbydog

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 07:18:08 AM »
as to kentish lass's post, do nivalis turn yellow if stressed, and if they do what can be done to de-stress them so that one can find out if indeed they are yellow

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 08:21:50 AM »
Snowdrops often become yellow if deprived of light just as they are about to emerge and flower; some time in December perhaps.  There is a famous story of a snowdrop enthusiast who was very excited to find a clump of yellow snowdrops in a field growing through a cow-pat.  But next year and ever after the snowdrops came up green and perfectly normal.  Suddenly being buried under a cow-pat, and perhaps some of the chemicals therein, had caused the snowdrops to come up yellow.  But it was a one-off, never to be repeated event, caused by unusual circumstances, not by an unusual snowdrop.  You could probably cause the same effect if you buried some snowdrops under a pile of leaves in December and then uncovered them mid-February.  I have also seen snowdrops looking bleached-yellow, probably through accidental exposure to powerful chemicals.  And a virus infection can cause a yellow flower with variegated green and yellow leaves.
Almost in Scotland.

Granite Chippings

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
Just a quick reply to David Nicholson's post about people not being able to resist a bargain. I've bought quite a few snowdrops on ebay this year but I don't think any of them have been bargains. However for someone who caught the bug in the last couple of years, I haven't been able to obtain some of the one's I bought anywhere else. I'm hoping when some of the more interesting drops increase that I may be able to do some swaps. For instance I think i will have a spare Diggory next year. But until I have something worth offering for swap it will have to be ebay for me. Bobbydog's sandersii have been the only problamatical one's up to now and I'm hoping for a refund from him. Some of the ebay sellers have even popped in the extra bulb or two, so not all are bad.
Paul Regan

Well someone has to live near Milton Keynes!

bobbydog

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 10:25:15 AM »
alan b
these bulbs come from an open field in full daylight, unobstructed by any shadow or other growth, it is like a open parkland.
there are many other drops in the locality all showing different stges of growth,
can you also tell me the flowering time of sandersii
is it earlier or later than now

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 02:27:20 PM »
The sandersii in my garden are in full flower at the moment.  I wish the sun would shine for them.

steve owen

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 05:14:49 PM »
I've bought quite a few snowdrops on ebay this year but I don't think any of them have been bargains. However for someone who caught the bug in the last couple of years, I haven't been able to obtain some of the one's I bought anywhere else.
Excellent point.
I also buy and sell on Ebay, and from and to other Forumists. But buying bulbs labelled "unknown" or "grumpy" (not Joe's) or Grim Reaper or any of the other instant names dreamed up by quick buck chancers is a mugs game.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 06:01:19 PM »
I've bought quite a few snowdrops on ebay this year but I don't think any of them have been bargains. However for someone who caught the bug in the last couple of years, I haven't been able to obtain some of the one's I bought anywhere else.
Excellent point.
I also buy and sell on Ebay, and from and to other Forumists. But buying bulbs labelled "unknown" or "grumpy" (not Joe's) or Grim Reaper or any of the other instant names dreamed up by quick buck chancers is a mugs game.
Most probably, Steve.... but no-one here has suggested otherwise.... this is about G. Sandersii  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 06:37:12 PM »
Bobbydog, I take it that last year you found a whole patch of yellow snowdrops in a field and this year few, if any, are yellow again?  I have found snowdrops that were completely white (with no green marks) and snowdrops that had two flowers on the same stalk but neither of them did the same thing next year.  The point of my earlier story is to illustrate how unwise it is to assume that an unusual snowdrop will remain unusual until you have observed it for several years.  My snowdrop with two flowers on the same stalk did the same thing six years later but was perfectly normal for the intervening five years.  My pure white snowdrop is a bit whiter than normal about every second year.  Since yellow colouration in a snowdrop is a reaction to stress, it's very likely your snowdrops were yellow as a one-off reaction to some stressful event that you never saw.  You'll probably never know what it was.

The name Sandersii (or, strictly, Sandersii Group) is applied to all yellow forms of Galanthus nivalis that have no distinguishing features beyond their yellow colour (but which are yellow every year when settled).  Ordinary Galanthus nivalis typically flower in February in England so the typical Sandersii will do likewise, but exactly when depends on the conditions and your particular form of "Sandersii".
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2011, 04:02:02 PM »
Bobbydog, I am hearing about other Forumists who have bought these  not yellow drops from you.... will you be getting in touch with all of them?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

bobbydog

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 08:30:46 PM »
full refunds are in progress, and a few have been refunded, please open a case with ebay, that is the quickest way to gain refund.
when i get to my computer then i can initiate the refund through that option immediately.
unfortunately i am not at my computer all day every day.
diane, i still have not heard from paypal on the charity item, rest assured though i have re contacted them
PLEASE ACCEPT MY SINCERE APOLOGIES ON THIS MATTER
profuse apologies, i am a good person

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal