We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 274098 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #885 on: December 25, 2017, 11:25:56 PM »
I agree that the smaller seedlings are probably the anagallis. The leaf shape is right comparing with mine, currently in flower. The larger ones look a bit like an ajuga maybe?

Sorry no photo but for many years I've looked at our SRGC logo and decided the seed was rubbishy and continued to have a few plants available from cuttings but at the beginning of December decided to sow a few of the fluffy bits anyway as I had a space left in a tray that takes 20 seed pots. Placed the "rubbish" on the mix and covered it with some grit, not too deep and just 10 days later, a couple of green sdlgs appeared. Not obviously a weed I knew - and I know an awful lot of weeds - I left them and within another few days I had over 20 sdlgs, all Dryas octopetala! The cotyledons are deep green and thin and longish, so will collect seed in future as I find the cuttings none too easy to root. High summer here, we've had days and days of temps in the high 20s and low 30s yet seed germination still continues.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #886 on: January 01, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »
I didn't think that the first germination for the new year would be a gladdie sown in May 2016!
Gladiolus dalenii (green form) NARGS Sdx sown 29-05-2016
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #887 on: January 01, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »

1 January - Seeds germinating in seed pans. Pictured is Calochorus splendens.

Also germinating: Lewisia rediviva, Delphinium patens ssp. patens, Penstemon heterodoxus ssp cephalophus, Calochorus luteus, and Calochortus superbus.

California native annuals germinating. Pictured Clarkia concinna ssp. cincinna.

Pictured germinating Layia gaillardioides.

Also germinating: Trifolium willdenovii, Madia glomerata, and Eschscholzia lobbii 'Sun Dew'.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #888 on: January 02, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
Robert
  Did you sow all of them in fall? They are placed outside?. Both question interest me specially for my Calochortus seeds, as well as Lewisia, Clarkia concinna of which have a spare second lot. Thank you.
Arturo Tarak

Robert

« Reply #889 on: January 02, 2018, 02:24:56 PM »
Arturo,

Yes, all the seed was sown in the autumn. I place them outside in the coolest place in the garden on a table - bench to keep the slugs away. Sacramento may not be the best location to do this as the winters are too mild. Placing seed pans outside worked well at the farm where winter temperatures are much cooler. I guess I could use the refrigerator, as I have in the past, however I guess I am checking to see what I can get away with. In the past, some seeds would germinate in the refrigerator before I expected them too. I even had a piece of paper on the refrigerator door stating when they went in and when they should come out. The seeds had there own time frame and clearly did not care what was written in a book about them as to when they should germinate. Outside has always worked best for me.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

James Cheshire

« Reply #890 on: January 08, 2018, 09:30:33 PM »
Cardamine douglassii (purple cress/limestone bittercress) seedlings looking like tiny lily pads. 3.5 inch pot.

James
James M. Cheshire - Granville, Ohio, USA - zone 6a.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #891 on: January 10, 2018, 08:50:22 AM »
Some of the mixed Galanthus ikariae seed received from the Republic of Ireland and sown immediately early July 2017 are on the move  :o.... Pic taken a week ago .

Thanks Ashley . ;D
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #892 on: January 10, 2018, 11:29:07 AM »
Looking good Dave 8)  The parent plants are emerging now but flower buds have yet to show.
Here at the opposite pole of the growing year galanthus seedlings are also appearing ... & delighting the slugs :P
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

meanie

« Reply #893 on: January 23, 2018, 10:36:21 PM »
A little outside the forums usual field of interest but Litchi chinensis (Lychee) are germinating after just a week...............

West Oxon where it gets cold!

Robert

« Reply #894 on: February 03, 2018, 09:29:19 PM »

Lathyrus vestitus, one of our many California native Lathyrus species.

Delpinium patens ssp. patens. The seed pan was transplanted to a large, deep container filled with a mixture of sand and pumice. Many of our California native Delphinium species thrive in such a soil mix.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #895 on: February 04, 2018, 04:24:37 PM »
Robert... here are two Californians of today... Langloisia setosissima & Astragalus coccineus

Robert

« Reply #896 on: February 04, 2018, 11:30:56 PM »
Two east side, desert species. They must be challenging to grow in your climate? An alpine house is a must? What about light intensity? Anyway, good job!  8)  Do you have any other species from this region at maturity? I could learn a few things understanding your results.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #897 on: February 05, 2018, 07:52:45 PM »
Hello, Robert,
Many more species from this region are not in this year's sowing season. Another native Californian also shows movement... Allium fimbriatum var. fimbriatum. More photos will follow. Now the frost is finally coming and the germination will stagnate.

As far as the cultivation of drought-loving alpines is concerned, I have learned that cold is not a problem. What is more important is permanent protection against moisture. I have all the plants outdoors. But I would like to build a covered plant table. There I would like to cultivate the drought-loving Alpine from all regions in the future.

Also discovered today... Saussurea wellbyi, Daxue - Shan Mountains, SW - China, 4500 m  :)

Thomas

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #898 on: February 24, 2018, 03:44:13 PM »
Pelargonium triste
Veltheimia capensis

both sown in mid-January
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

brianw

« Reply #899 on: March 08, 2018, 08:55:05 PM »
No photos but I noticed within 2 days of the cold spell ending here in the Thames valley 4 or 5 seed pots of Trilliums started showing leaves pushing aside the gravel. In their second season since sowing and all west coast species. Hopefully some more pots will show soon. Some Trillium rivale showed a few weeks before the cold spell. Seed from the Trillium-L discussion group.
They are in a sheltered position (a simple frame with just corrugated sheet cover) and were protected from snow; but we only had a few inches over several days anyway, and it all disappeared as soon as the sun came out.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal