We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphne 2011  (Read 26417 times)

Jozef Lemmens

• Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains
Re: Daphne 2011
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Two variegated clones of Daphne x burkwoodii.
Golden Treasure is without any doubt the best flowered form of both.
Jozef Lemmens - Belgium   Androsace World   -  Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains

Knud

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2011, 11:07:44 PM »
Beautiful plants, Jozef. Is 'Golden Treasure' fragrant? If so, I can imagine your garden on a warm evening.

Can anyone help me ID the little Daphne in the first picture. I got it at the 2003 Discussion Weekend, and it blooms for the first time this year, started a few days ago. For six years it did nothing, just sat there, nice and dark green though. Last year it it sprouted some new growth, and this year it is blooming, and sprouting a lot of new shoots. It has a wonderful smell.

The second picture is of a D. retusa, which I also got at the 2003 Discussion Weekend. It bloomed first time two years ago.

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Jozef Lemmens

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2011, 09:06:43 AM »
Knud, most Daphnes are fragrant.
It is nearly impossible to identify your plant on a picture without any mention of measures. My first thought was going to D. arbuscula (or an hybrid). But if I am right, your plant should have to cover about half a square meters after 8 years. I am only guessing, so it can be anything.
Jozef Lemmens - Belgium   Androsace World   -  Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2011, 09:30:27 AM »
Jozef your yellows and alpina are fabulous. Is alpina in the ground? Mine is in a trough where it remains small
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Jozef Lemmens

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2011, 08:27:14 PM »
Mark, my largest alpina is about 90 cm in height. A bit too large for a trough, isn’t it  ;)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2011, 08:36:18 PM »
Mark, my largest alpina is about 90 cm in height. A bit too large for a trough, isn’t it  ;)
A horse trough?  ;D ;D

291229-0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jozef Lemmens

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »
A horse trough?  ;D ;D

Hmm, are there horses in Scotland? So far as I can remember I saw only sheep, sheep and ....sheep.  ::)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2011, 07:18:18 PM »
 :o Jozef :o ;D but you might it is Wales that has the sheep.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Jozef Lemmens

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2011, 09:08:10 PM »
D. oleiodes time arrived. This is a lax form of Daphne transcaucasica 'JH-33/97', but there are nice dome forms in cultivation.
A species from the Caucasus.

291479-0

291481-1

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2011, 09:59:11 AM »
I am full of jealousy looking at photos of everyone. Beautiful daphnes!
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Jozef Lemmens

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2011, 07:55:30 PM »
Daphne oleiodes ssp. oleiodes 'VH-134/97' is a clone originating from Bolkar Dag – Turkey.

292974-0

292976-1

Jozef Lemmens

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2011, 07:37:46 PM »
A better flowered form of Daphne oleiodes is this garden clone.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2011, 07:58:38 PM »
You grow some lovely Daphneys Jozef. Could you say something about your cultivation methods please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2011, 10:39:04 PM »
I just have one clone and it flowers so rich that I never searched for another one.
A picture from last Friday.
Daphne oleoides
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Knud

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2011, 10:18:29 PM »
Knud, most Daphnes are fragrant.
It is nearly impossible to identify your plant on a picture without any mention of measures. My first thought was going to D. arbuscula (or an hybrid). But if I am right, your plant should have to cover about half a square meters after 8 years. I am only guessing, so it can be anything.

Thank you, Jozef. My apologies for this late response. You are right, it is very similar in leaf to a D. arbuscula that I have, but quite different in flower. In the first picture you can see both plants, the unknown in front with whitish flowers, the arbuscula above it with mauve flowers (in front of the clematis). The next two pictures show the arbuscula and the unknown in more detail. As mentioned in my previous posting I got the unknown in 2003, and the arbuscula in 2007 during the Czech conference as a rooted cutting with only one "ring" of leaves. It bloomed first time in 2009, and is on the whole a much more vigourus plant than the unknown one. Having said that, the unknown one is putting on a lot of new growth this year, as seen in picture 3.

Maybe the arbuscula's vigour is due to the fact that I accidentally "cemented" it in place during planting. I was making it a good home and thought it would like some of the stone flour I sometimes mix into composts. I grabbed a small handful and mixed it in, planted the Daphne and was very pleased. It was only later, and too late, I discovered I had taken the "rock dust" from the wrong bag; one with extra strong cement used to "glue" bolts and the like into holes in rocks and concrete. And while on planting disasters, the clematis in the first pictue, well that's what happens when you mess up your labels and plant small seedlings in a crack. Could anybody tell me which clematis it is?

Knud   
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal