We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scilla 2011  (Read 24022 times)

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
Re: Scilla 2011
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »
Paddy,
amazing garden. That is a dream :o :o :o
To me it looks like S. biflora.
Best wishes
Armin

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2011, 09:54:59 PM »
Armin,

Many thanks for the identification, much appreciated.

Of the garden, I can only say that I have shown just a few views of many, many other such scenes. These blue stretches will be followed by the while of our wild garlic - considered a weed here but a lovely plant and edible.

If you ever come to Ireland and can only visit one garden, then this is the one to see. It is the perfectly quintessential Irish garden, the perfect example of a "Robinsonian" garden - in the style of William Robinson. At all seasons it is a joy to visit. Yes, I adore it and visit often even though it is an hour and a half away.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2011, 10:07:38 PM »
Paddy,
I visited Ireland several times in the past but always business related. It is a wunderful green country. But unfortunately I never had time to stay there long enough to visit the botanical highlights. Maybe one day... ;) :D
Best wishes
Armin

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2011, 10:28:02 PM »
Great pictures of a superb garden Paddy, thanks for sharing them.  I wish it was nearer ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2011, 11:40:17 PM »
Thanks Gabriel
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »
Usually we are reporting about nice flowers and success, but sometimes I think it would be good to share information about possible problems in garden. Last spring, when Henrik Zetterlund visited my nursery, he spotted out one pot with beautiful and well looking Muscari, with only some black dust (soot) on leaves. He touched the spike and I saw how very fine powder falls out of flowers. So I for the first time saw the fungal disease which Henrik named as Bellevalia & Muscari "flower-soot" which he first  saw  on B. pycnantha about 25 years ago. It doesn't destroy the plant, but makes it sterile as instead of pollens the anthers produce this soot. The black powder on leaves is the single symptom on Muscari. I immediately destroyed this pot and carefully checked all other Muscari - fortunately no one more showed symptoms.

This spring I was surprised seeing one pot of Scilla bithynica with smaller flowers and black anthers. When I touched this - fell off known before from muscari black powder and then I note deformation of petals, too. So carefull checking of all Scillas followed and I found one pot with S. sibirica caucasica with similar symptoms. They all immediately were mowed to fireplace. Unfortunately I maid picture only from bithynica, was so shocked, that didn't pictured caucasica flowers, but symptoms were similar - deformed petals (although of normal size), fat black anthers issuing very fine black powder.

I immediately sprayed all my plantings with combination of Tilt + Carbendazim - so future pictures can be with some whitish spots on leaves. Tilt is against rust. Henrik suppose that it is some phase of rust (rust fungus has 4 different stages and different spores), but I more think that it could be some of little known fungus from Fumago/Capnodium complex, but my knowledge about those pathogens are 40 years old (when I was student). May be someone of you know something about this disease?

I will post the same on Muscari pages, too.

In attached picture infected Scilla bithynica, may be it came with infection from wild as I saw in wild large populations of Fritillaria, Erythronium, juno Iris with heavy infection of rust.

Janis

Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2011, 11:10:09 AM »
Janis this is very interesting.  Here is my Scilla sibirica Penza (picture taken in 2006) with the same thing (Janis, they came from you in 2005).   I didn't realise this was a fungus and thought the plant had black pollen.  The plant is still alive (and I think I still have a pot of them) so presumably it can live with the fungus, but I will give it a anti-fungal spray.  HansJ have you still got yours?    
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:15:55 AM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »
Yes, it looks infected. Problem is that PENZA stock has naturally black pollens, but here you can see black powder on leaves and anthers are "fat". I'm growing Penza only outside and never noted something similar, but it is so ordinary plant, that little attention is given. Will check my plants this spring.
Just destroyed one pot with Scilla rosenii Alba which I got last year from Czech Republic - wanted to cross it with my stock of Alba. So it shows that this infection can be much more widespread, but growers simply didn't give attention. Really I noted it on rosenii Alba only for black color of anthers because healthy rosenii alba has yellow anthers. There were no deformation on flower segments.
It seem that this infection really belongs to Ustilago family. There are several species attacking grain crops and many ornamentals, but they were little explored when I was student and now I didn't find any information about them in my literature. So may be some systemic fungicide used for grain crops can help.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2011, 06:50:33 PM »
With great help from Suzan, I found (really Suzan found) article about this fungal disease. From that article I made small extract about the subject. As it is just article relating of systematic topic, I added my opinion how to work with it. Fortunately now we have new systemic fungicides used by farmers on grain crops, which may be will work on bulbs, too.
This patogen belongs to the genus Vankya quite recently seperated from Uromyces, which is quite common disease on various grain crops. I suppose that now Uromyces are regarded as patogen of Dycotylodens and fungus infecting monocots (most of bulbs etc.) now is renamed as Vankya. So I think that systemic fungicides used against Uromyces (by old system) can be useable for bulbs, too. Follows extract from original article (VANKYA VAILLANTII (USTILAGINOMYCETES) ON SCILLA IN CENTRAL EUROPE.) Once more - many thanks to Suzan!

Vankya vaillantii
(Tul. & C. Tul.) Ershad (Urocystales,
Ustilaginomycetes
) is a parasitic fungus
affecting members of the genera Albuca, Bellevalia,
Chionodoxa, Eucomis, Hyacinthus, Muscari,
Puschkinia, Scilla, Urginea
and Ornithogalum
pyrenaicum
L. worldwide (Vanky 1994). The
fungus systemically infects anthers of host plants.
The anthers are enlarged, olivaceous-brown, with
sori producing a dark olive brown powdery mass
of spores. Distributed in areas with generally
warm climate in the floodplain woods.

Janis

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2011, 07:19:12 PM »
See  http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=7016.msg194984#msg194984 for more about the article Janis cites above.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2011, 02:03:34 AM »
 Ustilago maydis, the one that attacks corn, makes a delicious edible mushroom considered a delicacy in Central America...

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2011, 05:46:05 AM »
Few Scillas for today from last week pictures.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2011, 07:39:13 PM »
Few more scillas
Scilla gortganica WHIR-093
2 pictures of Scilla khorasanica, both from Iran (WHIR-033 and WHIR-039)
One of two Central Asian scillas - S. puschkinioides
Scilla rosenii Alba - perfectly replaces from seeds - no one seedling are of other color.
Janis

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2011, 11:31:10 AM »
Hi all ,

here are some pics of a unknown Scilla - I have collect this seeds before some years in Northern Spain ( Picos de Europe ) - here now first flowers
When I found it I was thinking it is Scilla hispanica .....but now I'm struggle  :o
Has maybe anyone a idea ???

Thanks
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2011, 01:01:26 PM »
Scilla lilio hyacinthus
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal