We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Proposed sale of UK woodlands  (Read 4507 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Proposed sale of UK woodlands
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 06:43:54 PM »
I still can't quite get used to seeing Gerry Adams' name as that of a member of parliament.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »
Rather a lot of "absent" names there, don't you think?

Our MP voted  "yes"  :-X
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:49:24 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »

MPs often buddy up with opposite Members, who are going to vote differently, so that they don't have attend the vote, ie each Members vote would cancel the other's out.

Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Gerry Webster

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 08:13:46 PM »

MPs often buddy up with opposite Members, who are going to vote differently, so that they don't have attend the vote, ie each Members vote would cancel the other's out.

I believe that in the UK that is what is known as democracy.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 08:16:53 PM »

Our MP voted  "yes"  :-X

Maggi, you do realise the vote was on whether to have a rethink on the sell-off. Your MP voted to have a rethink. It wasn't a vote on whether to have the sell off. So your MP voted the 'right' way. The big vote on going ahead with the sell off will come after the government's so-called consultation.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »
Martin is correct. A 'Yes' vote was the right vote.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 08:25:14 PM »

Our MP voted  "yes"  :-X

Maggi, you do realise the vote was on whether to have a rethink on the sell-off. Your MP voted to have a rethink. It wasn't a vote on whether to have the sell off. So your MP voted the 'right' way. The big vote on going ahead with the sell off will come after the government's so-called consultation.
Aha, Yes, okay, I got wrong end of the stick, or woodland, as the case might be.... I was puzzled.......so she voted in favour of a re-think and/or protection of the status quo? Excellent!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 10:07:07 PM »
Gerry apparently my MP was absent ,WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

Probably far to busy preparing his expenses claim to bother attending ;D

I went through the full voting list and of the Conservative members attending only two voted Yes-Julian Lewis the member for New Forest East, and Zac Goldsmith the member for Richmond Park. Don't suppose either would have dared to go back to their constituencies if they had voted No.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:09:13 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 11:33:02 PM »
Gerry apparently my MP was absent ,WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
Davey - my apologies, I've only just seen this post. I think David has provided the most likely  answer

Probably far to busy preparing his expenses claim to bother attending ;D

Gerry Webster

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 04:38:52 PM »
So far  490,000 people have signed the petition against the sell-off. The organisers are hoping to make this half a million.

The  scale of  public opposition to the proposals seems to have caught the coalition unawares and publicly they appear to have been making concessions It looks like they  hope that these recent  (& minor) concessions will cause the fuss to die down so they can press on with  their plans for a sell off. The requisite change in the law  will be included  in  the Public Bodies Bill when it comes before MPs in the next few weeks. It is this legislation that will give the government the powers it needs to go ahead with the removal of woodlands from public ownership.

If you object to these proposals, it is not too late to sign the petition & make your views known to your MP.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »
Below is copy of an Email from my MP in response to my Email telling him he was gutless at the last House vote. By the way he always signs himself as "Gary", he's not a personal friend or anything :P

<SNIP>Dear Mr Nicholson,

Thank you for your further email on this matter.

I think it important to stress that this is a genuine consultation exercise.  The reaction from the public has been dramatic and overwhelming.   I have made my own representations based on many of the concerns that my constituents have raised with me and I will be very surprised indeed if after the consultation period ends in April this policy is not significantly reconfigured.

Very best wishes,
Gary
<SNIP>
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »
As many people will have heard, the proposal to sell off English woodlands  has apparently been  abandoned & the so-called consultations will be scrapped. While this is cause for celebration I think we should remain vigilant; I cannot believe that this government would be content for public interest to take  precedence over private profit.

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »
There can still sell off 15% every 4 years http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12488847  down the bottom
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Gerry Webster

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »
There can still sell off 15% every 4 years http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12488847  down the bottom

As I understand it, 15% of the forest estate is the maximum the Government can sell under current legislation. It is reported (by Reuters) that this sale has been put on hold while ministers "review the criteria for the sale" (whatever this means). The proposed 15% sale  is quite distinct from, (& I believe predates), the  proposal for  the massive sell-off which would have required new legislation.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »

As I understand it, 15% of the forest estate is the maximum the Government can sell under current legislation. It is reported (by Reuters) that this sale has been put on hold while ministers "review the criteria for the sale" (whatever this means). The proposed 15% sale  is quite distinct from, (& I believe predates), the  proposal for  the massive sell-off which would have required new legislation.

As I understand it the previous government exercised this option several times without consultation or a national outcry. The problem here was they were going to sell the pretty ones and quite rightly people were outraged.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal