We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2011  (Read 148305 times)

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
Re: Galanthus February 2011
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »
I believe Marijke rings very well, she has a long pedicel.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

loes

« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2011, 03:27:26 PM »
Marijke,here I come  ;D
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2011, 04:06:31 PM »
OK David, here are some pics of Magnet, Ginn's Imperati, Augustus and Comet :)

I've also included a comparison of Magnet and Bungee, Magnet being at the bottom of the pic.

So as long as you had those in the first place then you can decide if you think they're the same.

Many thanks for taking the time Jo, I'll check 'em out in a minute.

Yup, they all look OK
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2011, 04:11:30 PM »
Wim, lovely markings on 'Marijke', what a good find, well done.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2011, 04:31:37 PM »
For the Dutch or travellers; I just had the information that at Garden Centre Nijssen in Heemskerk, a few plants in pot of Galanthus 'Marijke' are on sale, for the first time ever. First come, first served.
Wim
For the travellers:  ;)
For Heemskerk you should read HEEMSTEDE , which is only 16 kms. from my place. Whereas Heemskerk is about 40 Kms.

Reading the experts comments I will have to go for it, as they sound very positive and Wims comment states that is might be a good garden plant, which is more importent for me, being not a Galanthophile  ::) ::)

PS after Wim's first message the first trhee were sold already within a few minutes ::) ::) ::)
I will never understand those people who suffer on white fever  :P
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2011, 04:39:15 PM »
For the Dutch or travellers; I just had the information that at Garden Centre Nijssen in Heemskerk, a few plants in pot of Galanthus 'Marijke' are on sale, for the first time ever. First come, first served.
Wim
For the travellers:  ;)
For Heemskerk you should read HEEMSTEDE , which is only 16 kms. from my place. Whereas Heemskerk is about 40 Kms.

Reading the experts comments I will have to go for it, as they sound very positive and Wims comment states that is might be a good garden plant, which is more importent for me, being not a Galanthophile  ::) ::)

PS after Wim's first message the first trhee were sold already within a few minutes ::) ::) ::)
I will never understand those people who suffer on white fever  :P
;D ;D ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »
Does anyone know anything about elwesii Peter Try or maybe Peter Fry?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:22:30 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2011, 07:03:19 PM »
I think the first time I heard of it was when you posted a picture last year Mark ( http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5090.msg141765;topicseen#msg141765 )

I do like it a lot - it's got that 'Pat Mason' chunkiness that appeals to me.   8)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2011, 07:08:34 PM »
It would be nice to see some wider shots of how everyone grows their plants, garden, frame, glasshouse etc

few pics of various beds at work where I've been trying to establish new plantings, the raised beds is a new project but is taking much longer to complete than I planned, it's mainly a nursery area for twin scales to be planted and stock to swap/sell instead of having to raid clumps in the borders.

Bank under the Apples is doing very well, the Cornus/Artichoke bed is very new, most went in last year, border under the Roses & wall (netting is to keep chickens off the mulch  >:() was first planted about 3 years ago and most are thriving, am slowly planting more varieties around the garden in amongst the masses but the walled garden is the priority.

have no "garden" at home, more a big mess... home to lots of birds, badgers, bunnies and occasional deer.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2011, 07:15:27 PM »
I see what you meant about the apple bed being a happy home for the  'drops, they're looking good..... makes you wonder why you put all the effort in other bits, doesn't it?

I expect that having the raised beds fro growing on/ splitting clumps will make it much easier to get a stock to sell with maximum grwoth on bulbs and least disturbance to main plantings. Again, a lot of work but it'll pay off in the end.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »
I see what you meant about the apple bed being a happy home for the  'drops, they're looking good..... makes you wonder why you put all the effort in other bits, doesn't it?

it really does, the soil is terrible but everything that has gone in so far has probably increased faster than anywhere else, I did try and lift a few last year but the soil is so bad they're almost impossible to split without resorting to removing a huge lump of clay & washing off clumps slowly with a hose.

last year the whole lot got splattered with mud from rain dripping off the trees so has had a good layer of mulch this year.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2011, 08:58:57 PM »
As you saw John it's the same photo as last year. With more people coming on board maybe someone knows.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2011, 09:14:25 PM »
I think the snowdrops fit in most naturally under trees, so the apple beds do look just right.

I see what you mean about the amount of mulching you've been doing, hard work , making the mulch as well as spreading it, but it does contrast well with the white of the snowdrops. :)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
JohnF  - Loved your Wedding Dress photo in the latest Yearbook.  My there are some good ones in this issue.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2011, 09:51:16 PM »
I went into the garden today with my camera but the snowdrops are hardly up and what are were closed.  It was so windy here today - I can take most weather conditions but loathe wind. I ended up tidying pots of daylilies which was not a good choice of job in the wind - lots of dry foliage blowing around like tumbleweed  :)

Wim, I love the snowdrop Marijke.  I like them big and l have a thing for long pedicels - it has both.  Really lovely, cannot wait for it to be available to buy.

Richard, those mulched borders look lovely.  I love to see a freshly mulched border and it makes me want to go and do mine.  Pity it disappears so fast.  

I have added the link to my blog beneath my name.  It is mostly about the daylilies I imported from the USA but I also post general garden photos and things of interest.  I was aiming to write an article about snowdrops as I have many readers from the USA and Canada that are intrigued with the different varieties and have urged me to write about them.  I will be nervous now with all you experts looking  ???

That was a very honest email from David Ward at Beth Chatto's and puts an end to the mystery of the real G Beth Chatto.  When mine arrives from Harvey's I will just  label as 'Beth Chatto seedling' - but who knows - I may get the real thing, but doubt it.  Like everyone else I just want a snowdrop in my garden to remind me of her and her beautiful gardens.  I bet David Ward will make it his mission now to find the original and propagate it.

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal