We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2011  (Read 148377 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Galanthus February 2011
« Reply #405 on: February 12, 2011, 06:38:46 PM »
I hope everyone has enjoyed a great day at the gala today.  I have really enjoyed my 5 hours on trains and underground trains....    :D

Some quick pics from my garden when I got home from Devon.

1 - nivalis 'Mark Solomon'

2 & 3:  
4 - My first flower on JM6 (or JMDS-7B2-6 as it is also known  ;D) - I've been waiting a few years for this after a postal blunder where the parcel took almost 2 months to reach me.  A very sad looking mess was unwrapped but luckily there was a small solid bulb in the centre of the mess.  A couple of patient years of feeding the leaves and I've been rewarded with a beautiful little flower.   8)

It certainly is a beauty John, what is the inside mark like?  Your patience has it's own reward - in bundles.

2:  Some inner pics of my first JM6 flower  :)

3 - the spath of JM6 - I don't know if it does this every year as this is my first flower - but an amusing  "funky spathe" this year.   ;D

4 - 'Quad'
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:09:09 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #406 on: February 12, 2011, 07:10:16 PM »
Maggie,the weather for the Gala could not have been better,gloriuos sunshine,ideal Snowdrop weather
That's good to hear, Chas.... you'd have needed snorkels up here!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

steve owen

« Reply #407 on: February 12, 2011, 07:31:27 PM »
Included in the details for a snowdrop selling on EBay:

.......they will be packed with stagnant moss to avoid damage - oh really  :)
I prefer stagnant - easier off the tongue than spaghnum. It could have been worse; would you believe Staggy moss? :D
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #408 on: February 12, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
It could have been worse; would you believe Staggy moss? :D

Now that would be worse that 'stagnant' moss. 
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

freddyvl

« Reply #409 on: February 12, 2011, 08:31:28 PM »
A few snowdrops of today:

1) G. elw. 'Godfrey Owen': a distinct snowdrop with 6 outer and 6 inner segments (Found by Margaret Owen in 1996 and named after her late husband)
2) G. 'Richard Ayres': a full double snowdrop and very tall (spotted by Richard Nutt in 1987 at Anglesey Abbey and named after the former Head Gardener)
3) G. 'Ronald MacKenzie': A G. nivalis seedling with rich yellow ovary, markings at base and apex of inner petals also yellow (Dr Ronald MacKenzie, recent introduction)
4) G. nivalis 'Spetchley Yellow': A strong plant from the nivalis Sandersii Group witch increasing well, yellow ovary and single yellow mark at top of inner petals (found at Spetchley Park, Spetchley, Worcestershire)
5) G. 'Wasp': A classic snowdrop who's name is justified (Found by Veronica Cross in 1995 at the former Backhouse garden at Sutton Court
P.S  - The white shine on the leaves is from a fungicide against Stag (precaution ), not nice but efficient !
      - For John (Kentgardener): as promised I'm on line now, hope to see you in Oirlich Germany, your Galanthus Blog is glorious !

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #410 on: February 12, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
Wonderful photos from John and Freddievl.  I like that Ronald Mackensie and Spletchley Yellow looks a nice shade of yellow.  JM6 is gorgeous.  Imagine if JM6 always had a spathe like that - would look great in a clump.  Quad is very nice too. 
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Warren Desmond

« Reply #411 on: February 12, 2011, 10:58:06 PM »
Hi All

Loving all the Galanthus images... :)

Brian...the detail you have managed to capture of the flower is phenomenal...especially with the close up ones...I thought the only way to capture the sheen on a flower needed to be taken outside in the sunshine...but you live and learn  :)
but
Here are a few of mine...

1) daglinworth
2) diggory
3) nothing special
4) pat mason...been after that one since Paddy posted an image last year...

Regards

Warren
The Wirral

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #412 on: February 13, 2011, 04:20:50 AM »
Good to have you posting Freddy.   8)  Nice pictures - hopefully the first of many.  Have you found 'Ronald Mackenzie' to be a happy grower in the garden?  I have heard mixed reviews with some saying that it is one for the alpine house.

Oirlich is fast approaching.   ;D  Fingers crossed for good weather.

Warren,  glad you like 'Pat Mason' - one of my favourites.  Wish I could grow 'Diggory' - I have moved it again this year but expect it will not be alive in 2012.   :(  It seems to be one that just doesn't like my garden.    ::)
John

Graham Catlow

« Reply #413 on: February 13, 2011, 09:46:14 AM »
Every garden should have ONE ;) to add some brightness to this time of the year.
Last year I dug some up from a friends garden and added them to various places in the garden. I kept a group for a pot which I will probably put in the garden later in this year.
Photos taken this morning in the drizzle.

I assume they are G. flore pleno.

1. In a pot
2. In the ground
Bo'ness. Scotland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #414 on: February 13, 2011, 09:52:24 AM »
My goodness, Graham, that potful looks pristine, so perfect - quite unlike my snowdrops at present which are mud-splattered following days of heavy rain.

Freddy & Warren, a lovely set of photographs and excellent snowdrops.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
« Reply #415 on: February 13, 2011, 11:18:25 AM »
So many wonderful photographs from everybody! It is really the most exciting time of the year, isn't it?

On Friday in business I regretted having not gone for the gala ... but on Saturday we had a warm spell with sunshine here with all the snowdrops open and I really could enjoy my garden. Here are some impressions from yesterday:

Barbara's Double
Ding Dong with Ginn's Imperati behind
Godfrey Owen
James Backhouse
Lapwing
Lavinia
South Hayes
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #416 on: February 13, 2011, 11:34:13 AM »
I had a very pleasant time at a little known snowdrop sale at Marchants plants in East Sussex. I was made very welcome by Graham Gough and Lucy Goffin. With around 40 varieties on offer I had pre ordered but was unable to resist adding to the list on the day.[urlhttp://www.marchantshardyplants.co.uk/index.php][/url] If anyone would like a copy of the list pm me and I will send it to you.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #417 on: February 13, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
Thomas - it is good that you had sunshine in your garden while you missed the Gala - I sat on trains travelling back from Devon and missed the Gala too.  Your day looks a lot nicer than mine was.  John Grimshaw has posted a video of the sales 'rush' on his blog today so you can see what we missed.   ;)

Lapwing looks lovely - I saw it at Brian's last year and remarked on how nice it was.  Your picture has reminded me what a great looking flower it is.  And your 'South Hayes' is looking great - such a good green line on the petals.   8)

Pat - thanks for the pictures from Graham's - I would have loved to have attended but other things were arranged first unfortunately. 

John

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #418 on: February 13, 2011, 12:04:28 PM »
John Grimshaw has posted a video of the sales 'rush' on his blog today so you can see what we missed.
Not to mention a lovely picture of "Biggles" (Steve Owen) with a wide smile, and Melvyn Jope.....  :D

The video is just like the "January Sales" reports  we used to see on TV news, only with more men rushing about than women!  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #419 on: February 13, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »
The video is just like the "January Sales" reports  we used to see on TV news, only with more men rushing about than women!  ;D

....and it is in February.   ;D
John

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal