We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2011  (Read 148370 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Galanthus February 2011
« Reply #420 on: February 13, 2011, 12:29:42 PM »
I'm getting snow blindness - so many lovely 'drops  8)
Yesterday someone came to me at a meeting and said that they would never buy or sell a snowdrop that had been chipped as they are no good, and he had tried them side by side with divided ones in his garden to prove it.  Discuss.
(I was so taken aback that It didn't occur to me to ask how he knew his 'divided' ones hadn't been chipped before he got them )
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #421 on: February 13, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »
No sun here today so thought I would picture a couple of the more unconventional ones as they look great whatever the weather ("that's a matter of opinion!" I here some groan...  ;D)

1 - Bunch
2 - Walrus

There are some more on their way but need a week to expand to their full potential.   ;)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #422 on: February 13, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
Out in the garden earlier in the week I took pictures of two lovely Galanthus. The first is G. dionysus a lovely gift from Frank Tindall some years ago.  The other, well I am blaming the blackbirds again for whipping out the label.  Can one of you wonderful galanthophiles help me with a name? You can see that it has broad glaucus leaves, is about 4 inches tall and the three outer petals are much longer than the inner.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #423 on: February 13, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »
Here's a link to John Grimshaw's Garden Diary blog with the pics and video from the Gala snowdrop sales hall:

http://johngrimshawsgardendiary.blogspot.com/
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
« Reply #424 on: February 13, 2011, 05:30:08 PM »
Shelag,
your snowdrop looks like a Galanthus elwesii var. monostictus, but the inner segment seems to have no notch. May that be or didn't I see it right? That would be unusual.

John, I looked at the video ... same procedure as every year  ;D  I never liked this rush  8)

You seem to be quite successful with 'Buch' and 'Walrus' and I like them very much  :D  Unfortunately they refuse to thrive with me. But 'Lapwing' is really a good doer!
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #425 on: February 13, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
John,

You always like the very odd ones but they do seem to grow well for you. Obviously they feel at home with you!

Thomas, a lovely selection posted earlier, lovely photographs.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #426 on: February 13, 2011, 08:04:33 PM »
John
Love Bunch & Walrus.  My Walrus was new last year and only has some tiny leaves this year - don't think it will flower.

I love the Spikey's.  I have some growth on Irish Green but no sign of a flower yet....and Boyd's Double has not shown at all....probably a gonner.  Was relieved today to see that Puck has emerged....whew  :)

Rained all day here but I battled on as all the Epimedium foliage has to be cut down before the flowers emerge.  Am looking forward to RHS Halls on Tuesday.  Top of my list is early flowering Cyclamen coum with pretty leaves.
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #427 on: February 13, 2011, 08:21:50 PM »
Feeling rather out of my depth here ::)

G. fosteri first flower from seed sown Jan 08.  Is this green wash at the base of the outer petals usual?
G. 'Rosie' (x3) a very kind gift from Chris Sanham, for my teenage daughter of the same name.  I am to look after it until she has a garden of her own.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #428 on: February 13, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »
I do like Bunch ,I believe that it was one of Joe's finds was it not John,I did try to get it at his Spring Thing last year
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

alpinelover

« Reply #429 on: February 13, 2011, 08:58:27 PM »
Today here, Galanthus 'Wisley Magnet' (photo 1) and a G. elwesii (nameless) (photo 2)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:00:02 PM by alpinelover »
Lichtervelde, West-Vlaanderen

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #430 on: February 13, 2011, 09:59:20 PM »
Today here, Galanthus 'Wisley Magnet' (photo 1) and a G. elwesii (nameless) (photo 2)

'Nameless' has very nice long petals  :)
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #431 on: February 14, 2011, 06:53:49 AM »
Yesterday someone came to me at a meeting and said that they would never buy or sell a snowdrop that had been chipped as they are no good, and he had tried them side by side with divided ones in his garden to prove it.  Discuss.

A year or two ago I posted some comparisons pictures of the 'South Hayes' on the Foxgrove Nursery stand at the RHS London show in February that were taken several years apart.  This lead me to wonder if that was not going downhill.   
Almost in Scotland.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #432 on: February 14, 2011, 07:45:44 AM »

I only started chipping a few years ago, everything I've sold/swapped to date has been division though I've no idea if any I've had in have been chipped, but given how finicky drops can be I would say that's probably generalizing a bit, if not quite a lot.

my first chips, mostly mighty atom are being planted so will be interesting to see how things pan out in the next few years, I'm not really sure how the process can be detrimental, unless there was something wrong with the original bulb in the first place.

I assume many new drops are chipped to increase stock quickly, so it could also be that some plants haven't had the time to prove themselves as good "doers" anyway.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #433 on: February 14, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »
I'm not really sure how the process can be detrimental, unless there was something wrong with the original bulb in the first place.

An interesting topic Richard, I have been told that some bulbs can lose their characterstics if over-chipped 'South Hayes' being the one quoted to me, which can lose the mark on the outers.  'Big Boy' I have also been told is difficult, two people have told me they chipped it and lost every single one.  I think the answer is to be sensible and chip only bulbs you have spares of, and then to be grateful if any survive to adulthood ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #434 on: February 14, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
must admit I haven't experimented with many yet but I can already see variation in vigor, the Atom chips are doing very well, Merlin not so well, probably half the size, but it's also a plant that has increased very slowly here whereas Atom grows like a weed, so that's at least one comparison that is reflected in the garden.

it's food for thought, and I suppose it should be made clear whether a bulb you're buying/swapping has been chipped, although my plan to plant large clumps of Mighty Atom in areas with divided bulbs might make separating them tricky in the long term.

when I do my final planting I'll put in clumps of chipped/split bulbs and mark them, would be interesting to see how they develop but the whole thing seems a potential minefield to me, particularly for a plant that so many either like you or don't  ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal