We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2011  (Read 148322 times)

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
Re: Galanthus February 2011
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »
I've been planting new areas for a few years, will post some wider shots tomorrow, most are in established borders, bare banks and some raised beds, one of the most successful places is in terrible soil under some old Apple trees, my carefully prepared beds aren't doing anything like as well  ::)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2011, 11:47:40 PM »
Wow, Ian that is a smashing shot of Mrs, McNamara and shows her at her finest.   It appears to be a glorious day there. We are shin-deep in snow.

Yesterday was groundhog day and he promises an early spring from Texas to Newfoundland.

johnw

John in coastal Nova Scotia

Sean Fox

« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
In the words of JohnW, wow, some fantastic photos.
With work commitments I'm not seeing much daylight at the moment so seeing these photos is giving me my Galanthus fix, an absolute delight. Keep them coming  :P
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2011, 01:55:13 AM »
Some really gorgeous photos today by forum members.  John, I love that Bungee - what a pedicel that one has.

Tomorrow I hope I will have some blooms and will head outside with my camera.  Here is a collage I made from last years photo for my blog
Hope the images are not too small to see
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2011, 03:23:11 AM »
John, I love that Bungee - what a pedicel that one has.

Here is a collage I made from last years photo for my blog
Jennie

Jennie - Boy you're right, that Bungee looks like Magnet on steroids.

Nioce collage.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2011, 04:49:52 AM »
Where is 5.

Oops.  I decided it was too similar to the other 2 'fused Wendys Gold' pictures so didn't post it.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Mavers

« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »
Nope looked at him last night & I have to report me 'Godfrey' hasn't dropped yet............ ::)
Mike
Somerset, UK

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2011, 09:11:25 AM »
Some really gorgeous photos today by forum members.  John, I love that Bungee - what a pedicel that one has.

Tomorrow I hope I will have some blooms and will head outside with my camera.  Here is a collage I made from last years photo for my blog
Hope the images are not too small to see
Jennie

Jennie,

Can you post a link to your blog?

Lovely collage.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »

Very nice Jennie, you could always put your blog link on your personal profile ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2011, 09:45:27 AM »
On January 31st I posted a photograph of G. 'Beth Chatto' (http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6443.405) from my garden. Subsequent discussion led me to conclude that what I was growing was not in fact the real 'Beth Chatto' at all,  something which was a great disappointment to me as Mary and I had visited the gardens, had absolutely adored them and treasured the snowdrop as a memento of the such a great gardener.

Following our discussions here on the forum, I dropped an e-mail to the Beth Chatto Nursery - I posted a copy in the forum. This morning I received a reply from David Ward and will copy it below for your attention. While it confirms that I don't have the genuine 'Beth Chatto' and that continues to be a disappointment, I am delighted with the honesty and openness of the reply. Anything other than such a reply would have spoiled many fond gardening memories. It reaffirms my great respect for the Beth Chatto Gardens and Nursery and that was the value the snowdrop held for me so I'll continue with the bulb I have but change its name to reflect its new status, "Beth Chatto Seedling", perhaps?

Paddy

Here is David Ward's reply:

Dear Paddy,

Thanks for getting in touch re Galanthus plicatus 'Beth Chatto'. It was fascinating to read the thread on the SRG forum so please fell free to post this answer if you think it will help.

Firstly let me apologise to yourself and others who have been growing what they quite rightly expected to be the original obtained directly or indirectly from the stock here. Several years ago it became clear that the patches here were becoming muddled with self sown seedlings. Using our memories ( poor move), the Snowdrop book and a couple of photos we identified the true plants main features being its large globular flowers on relatively short stems. The inner markings should be a pinched X if that makes sense with no separation. Both the inner and outer segments can be misshapen but this is variable. Foliage is flat against the ground. Finally two flowers per bulb when settled. Using these characteristics I have tried over the past 5 years or so to sort the plants out.   

We are often asked for the plant as Matt speaks well of it in his book, so we have sold a few or swapped the snowdrop with other enthusiasts over the years and some people undoubtedly have, in more recent years, been supplied in good faith with plants that were not true. We sold a few ex Beth Chatto seedlings via ebay, clearly stating they were seedlings of and not the true plant. I believe we sold two or three supposedly true 'Beth Chatto' which I selected out.   

I think I must admit defeat and just let the stock here become G. plicatus Beth Chatto seedlings. Of the images posted in the thread, Gerard Oud's looks to be the most correct form. I will sift through our old slides to see what more I can find. Its a shame the image in Snowdrops is so unhelpful.

Its such a lovely snowdrop and I must confess to feeling somewhat guilty of not taking better care of it. Does everyone deadhead their snowdrops?

Once again my apologies and please keep me updated, it would be wonderful if somehow we could get the true plant back in circulation again.

Kind Regards,

Dave Ward...The Beth Chatto Gardens.

My e-mail to the Beth Chatto Gardens:

Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:08 AM
To: info@bethchatto.fsnet.co.uk

username=Paddy Tobin
usermail=pmtobin@eircom.net
comment=http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6443.msg182771#msg182771

Please refer to the link above where there is a short discussion on Galanthus plicatus 'Beth Chatto'. You will read of my purchase of a  bulb of same from you in 2005 and my delight that after five years of producing only one flower each year it is now showing six flower buds this spring. However, on posting a photograph from last year, other members of the Scottish Rock Garden Forum have pointed out that the bulb I grow is not true to description and is not, in fact, G. 'Beth Chatto' at all.

Can you rectify this for me, please?

Yours Sincerely, Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Mavers

« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »
I think that's a good idea Jo having some wider shots of the snowdrops as I find it interesting to compare the soil in the photo with mine & the immediate surroundings of the snowdrop. We can learn so much from each other.
Mike
Somerset, UK

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2011, 10:11:40 AM »
Think I'll chuck my twopennorth in, here are some of mine. I have to say that all names are questionable as I decided to follow the mesh basket trend last summer. I had all the bulbs set out in groups on a table I use for re-potting, stepped back wards, forgot the table was there, and the bulbs, closely followed by me finished up in a heap on the lawn. I think I re-sorted them properly but can't be sure so some advice as to correctness or not would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry that the focus on a couple of shots is nothing to shout about. Today has not been my day!

These are I think:-

Magnet (2 shots)
Ginns Imperati (2 shots)
Augustus (1 shot)
Comet (1 shot)

Well, if I can bring you to more mundane matters, can anyone help please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2011, 10:19:16 AM »
Comet, Augustus look right to me, haven't grown Ginns for years but have a pot waiting to be planted not in flower yet, from memory (not that good  ;)) is right, Magnet should be easy from the long pedicel.

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2011, 10:20:50 AM »
Sorry David,  I'll brave the gale and photograph Magnet and Ginn's I. in the same style to see if they look right,

Your Augustus does look properly like seersucker but when seen from the side it should be about globular.

My Comet in north Devon is not out yet but yours has a long pedicel which does look about right.

So now I'll wrap up against the elements and boldly go.......

steve owen

« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2011, 10:47:42 AM »
Paddy

Thanks for all your spadework in getting us sorted out on this confusion. I had a "Beth Chatto" via Ebay that died out and a "Beth Chatto seedling" that is hale and hearty, so seem to have landed on my feet.

Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal