We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2011  (Read 148338 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Galanthus February 2011
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »
I had heard a similar story about G. Beth Chatto this week but didnt want to say until the official reply came through
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Wim Snoeijer

« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »
For the Dutch or travellers; I just had the information that at Garden Centre Nijssen in Heemskerk, a few plants in pot of Galanthus 'Marijke' are on sale, for the first time ever. First come, first served.
Wim

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »
What does it look like, Wim?

Warren Desmond

« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »
On January 31st I posted a photograph of G. 'Beth Chatto' (http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6443.405) from my garden. Subsequent discussion led me to conclude that what I was growing was not in fact the real 'Beth Chatto' at all,  something which was a great disappointment to me as Mary and I had visited the gardens, had absolutely adored them and treasured the snowdrop as a memento of the such a great gardener.

Following our discussions here on the forum, I dropped an e-mail to the Beth Chatto Nursery - I posted a copy in the forum. This morning I received a reply from David Ward and will copy it below for your attention. While it confirms that I don't have the genuine 'Beth Chatto' and that continues to be a disappointment, I am delighted with the honesty and openness of the reply. Anything other than such a reply would have spoiled many fond gardening memories. It reaffirms my great respect for the Beth Chatto Gardens and Nursery and that was the value the snowdrop held for me so I'll continue with the bulb I have but change its name to reflect its new status, "Beth Chatto Seedling", perhaps?

Paddy

Here is David Ward's reply:

Dear Paddy,

Thanks for getting in touch re Galanthus plicatus 'Beth Chatto'. It was fascinating to read the thread on the SRG forum so please fell free to post this answer if you think it will help.

Firstly let me apologise to yourself and others who have been growing what they quite rightly expected to be the original obtained directly or indirectly from the stock here. Several years ago it became clear that the patches here were becoming muddled with self sown seedlings. Using our memories ( poor move), the Snowdrop book and a couple of photos we identified the true plants main features being its large globular flowers on relatively short stems. The inner markings should be a pinched X if that makes sense with no separation. Both the inner and outer segments can be misshapen but this is variable. Foliage is flat against the ground. Finally two flowers per bulb when settled. Using these characteristics I have tried over the past 5 years or so to sort the plants out.   

We are often asked for the plant as Matt speaks well of it in his book, so we have sold a few or swapped the snowdrop with other enthusiasts over the years and some people undoubtedly have, in more recent years, been supplied in good faith with plants that were not true. We sold a few ex Beth Chatto seedlings via ebay, clearly stating they were seedlings of and not the true plant. I believe we sold two or three supposedly true 'Beth Chatto' which I selected out.   

I think I must admit defeat and just let the stock here become G. plicatus Beth Chatto seedlings. Of the images posted in the thread, Gerard Oud's looks to be the most correct form. I will sift through our old slides to see what more I can find. Its a shame the image in Snowdrops is so unhelpful.

Its such a lovely snowdrop and I must confess to feeling somewhat guilty of not taking better care of it. Does everyone deadhead their snowdrops?

Once again my apologies and please keep me updated, it would be wonderful if somehow we could get the true plant back in circulation again.

Kind Regards,

Dave Ward...The Beth Chatto Gardens.

My e-mail to the Beth Chatto Gardens:

Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:08 AM
To: info@bethchatto.fsnet.co.uk

username=Paddy Tobin
usermail=pmtobin@eircom.net
comment=http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6443.msg182771#msg182771

Please refer to the link above where there is a short discussion on Galanthus plicatus 'Beth Chatto'. You will read of my purchase of a  bulb of same from you in 2005 and my delight that after five years of producing only one flower each year it is now showing six flower buds this spring. However, on posting a photograph from last year, other members of the Scottish Rock Garden Forum have pointed out that the bulb I grow is not true to description and is not, in fact, G. 'Beth Chatto' at all.

Can you rectify this for me, please?

Yours Sincerely, Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

Thanks for posting the reply from Beth Chatto Nursery Paddy...
That shows a nursery with integrity... 8)
Warren

The Wirral

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »
OK David, here are some pics of Magnet, Ginn's Imperati, Augustus and Comet :)

I've also included a comparison of Magnet and Bungee, Magnet being at the bottom of the pic.

So as long as you had those in the first place then you can decide if you think they're the same.

Devon snowdrop events this week include Rosemoor Saturday, here, Cherubeer Gardens, Sunday ( NGS ) and The Garden House Thursday so hopefully I'll see you at all of those  :o :o :o

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »
You may remember that last year I took most of my collection out of their lattice pots. They all have a new vigour and where many had stopped flowering most if not all are great this year. What I also did before replanting, in the same place, I replaced the soil beneath the lattice pot, added bone meal and leaf mould.

All snowdrops are open today because its 11c but sadly no photography because of the wind.

Some people were worrying about no show snowdrops. I was also. My Penelope Ann are only just showing.

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »
The strangest thing has occurred last year a friend gave me a clump of snowdrops from thousands that have naturalized on a cemetery that he looks after i photographed the clump when i got them home (photo one)i then split them and put them in pots.They have come up this year with very distinct greentips on there outers(photo two)what i missed was the clump did have faint green on there outers,you just see on the first photo on a flower to the rear.Is the amount of green down too stress in the plant?
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2011, 12:51:31 PM »
I've heard before that stress causes it. You'll have to wait until next year. I like the shape of the inner mark. My nivalis Mini Me, not green tipped varies from year to year

Looking at last years photos I forgot that my Mini Me had increased to 3 flowering bulbs. I said last week it was only two. That means I'm down a flowering sized bulb :(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:59:24 PM by mark smyth »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2011, 01:01:11 PM »
 .. and a reminder of how small it is

Mavers

« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2011, 01:06:51 PM »
Steve & Paddy, I also bought a 'Beth Chatto' from Beth Chatto Gardens through ebay in March 2009

It was bought as the real thing not ex BC.

When it flowers this year I'll have a careful look at it. (no flowers last year)

Mike
Somerset, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »
For the Dutch or travellers; I just had the information that at Garden Centre Nijssen in Heemskerk, a few plants in pot of Galanthus 'Marijke' are on sale, for the first time ever. First come, first served.
Wim

Sounds exciting for the snowdrop collectors, Wim!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Wim Snoeijer

« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2011, 01:51:28 PM »
Mark,
It is one I found and "it's enourmous" and can be classified in the Green Group, see Hanneke's book. I send all bulbs I had, except 3 (one for Marijke, one for Hanneke and one for Annie), to Nijssen who let the bulb grow and propagate by a nursery in France. They hope to offer more in future as the plant is very easy and multiplies well by itself.
Wim

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2011, 01:55:51 PM »
WOW thats lovely
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2011, 01:57:39 PM »
'Marijke' is the style I like.... full and sturdy. Lovely flower.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2011, 03:11:02 PM »
OK David, here are some pics of Magnet, Ginn's Imperati, Augustus and Comet :)

I've also included a comparison of Magnet and Bungee, Magnet being at the bottom of the pic.

So as long as you had those in the first place then you can decide if you think they're the same.

Many thanks for taking the time Jo, I'll check 'em out in a minute.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal