We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2011  (Read 148404 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Galanthus February 2011
« Reply #435 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »
My first purchased South Hayes looked like an ordinary snowdrop, and was replaced. I chipped the good replacement, and you can see the results below (also Trymmer). The markings are obviously very variable. It will be interesting to see what they are like next year. Another good reason for only selling flowering sized bulbs.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Mavers

« Reply #436 on: February 14, 2011, 10:51:33 AM »
Good morning everyone.

Some pictures of snowdrops in my garden taken on Sunday. Not the best pictures I know but I hope you enjoy them.

Pics 1 & 2 are of Alan B's beautiful find 'Green Light'

Pic 3 Godfrey Owen

Pic 4 Lapwing?

Pic 5 Anyone any ideas why Percy has done this?

Pic 7 & 8 Trympostor bought from Alan Street at The Garden House
Mike
Somerset, UK

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #437 on: February 14, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »
How long has "Tryposter" been around?  I coined that name for a snowdrop John W has that was supposed to be Trym but turned out to be something different.  Did I think of the name first or was I pipped to the post?
Almost in Scotland.

Mavers

« Reply #438 on: February 14, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »
The first I knew of Trympostor was when I walk into the Tool Shed at The Garden House Alan.

Alan Street had a big tray full of them & they went like hot cakes. It's a seedling found at Avon Bulbs & is supposed to be shorter growing & more vigorous.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:35:47 PM by Mavers »
Mike
Somerset, UK

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #439 on: February 14, 2011, 12:55:11 PM »
another nice day but things getting a little muddy under foot after the rain.

St Anne's
Bertram Anderson
Curly
x valentinei
find
quite big green tip double, no idea what it is.
couple of the moat and folly.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #440 on: February 14, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »
'find' is a good one Richard.  Some lovely snowdrops, I am sure by the weekend you will all have a great time.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #441 on: February 14, 2011, 02:40:18 PM »
The first I knew of Trympostor was when I walk into the Tool Shed at The Garden House Alan.

Alan Street had a big tray full of them & they went like hot cakes. It's a seedling found at Avon Bulbs & is supposed to be shorter growing & more vigorous.

Yikes, the Trym mess deepens.  I guess I had better not be using "Trym" impostor for the one here.   I think a few of us may have these and so I guess it's just a matter of having our records clear and passed on.  Of course none of these are true names without the " " marks in the correct spots.

johnw
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:58:27 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #442 on: February 14, 2011, 03:33:55 PM »
My apologies for misleading you over a picture of G.'Kenneth Beckett's AM form' which I showed earlier.  It has now been removed as it was not correct.  When I went round to Richard Hobbs this morning, I showed him the photos to make sure they were correct.  When I got to this one he said "Oh, no you haven't got 'Kenneth Beckett's AM form' but that is much better (indicating the picture below)".  This is a short seedling found in Richard's garden which it was thought ought to be named, Sally wanted to call it Goblin, but that name is taken.  It was then suggested to them that it was called G.'Hobbgoblin' which nicely indicates it's origin. So here it is under it's correct name, and a right sweetie it is too :D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:54:32 PM by Brian Ellis »
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #443 on: February 14, 2011, 04:08:06 PM »
I like 'HobbGobling' Brain - different from a lot of others so could maybe one day earn a space in my little patch.   ;) ;) ;)

Feeling miserable with a cold today (or is that man flu when a male gets a cold?.... )  Managed to drag myself away from my central heating and duvet to take a few photos in the garden.

1 - elwesii 'Wispy'
2 - NOT Fieldgate Superb (I got this a couple of years back from one of the big boys as 'Fieldgate Superb' which it is obviously not. ::)  But as it is such a good do'er and a lovely yellow I keep growing it.  It was suggested last year that it may be 'Primrose Surprise' or perhaps 'Spindlestone Warburg'  - I will never know for sure but as it performs so well here I really don't care that it is miss/un named ;) ;D)
3 - 'Homersfield'
4 - elwesii ex 'J Platt'  (a nice refined drop that attracts my attention every year  8))
5 - 'Sentinel'
6 - 'George Chiswell no 9'
7 - 'Lady Moore'
8 - 'E A Bowles' (I would like to add that this was an extremely kind gift from a penpal - there is no way I could afford the price it is attracting at present!)
9 - 'Bloomer' - I really like this one each year.  It has a wonderful lime green ovary that appeals to me.
10 - another unnamed nivalis poculiform
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:08:28 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #444 on: February 14, 2011, 05:18:56 PM »
Homersfield looks nice, like a bolder marked Ketton.

snowdropman

« Reply #445 on: February 14, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
This is a short seedling found in Richard's garden which it was thought ought to be named, Sally wanted to call it Goblin, but that name is taken.  It was then suggested to them that it was called G.'Hobbgoblin' which nicely indicates it's origin. So here it is under it's correct name, and a right sweetie it is too :D

'Hobbsgoblin' would have been even better  ;)
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

snowdropman

« Reply #446 on: February 14, 2011, 05:54:51 PM »
4 - elwesii ex 'Jeremy Platt'  (a nice refined drop that attracts my attention every year  8))
5 - 'Sentinal'

Did you mean 'Jimmy Platt' & 'Sentinel'  ;)
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #447 on: February 14, 2011, 05:55:51 PM »
Homersfield looks nice, like a bolder marked Ketton.

Hi Richard

A new one to me last year.  The sales list basically says:

A lovely, relatively tall hybrid that grows in Suffolk.  The inner segment mark superficially resembles that of 'Ketton' but the basal markings are much stronger.  The mark and ovary have a distinct olive-green tinge.  A very vigorous snowdrop first shown at the 2009 gala.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #448 on: February 14, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »
4 - elwesii ex 'Jeremy Platt'  (a nice refined drop that attracts my attention every year  8))
5 - 'Sentinal'

Did you mean 'Jimmy Platt' & 'Sentinel'  ;)

Oops, sorry.   :-[

'Sentinel'  (my spelling is rubbish!)

and

G. elwesii var. monostictus ex J. Platt.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:21:36 PM by KentGardener »
John

freddyvl

« Reply #449 on: February 14, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »
Good to have you posting Freddy.   8)  Nice pictures - hopefully the first of many.  Have you found 'Ronald Mackenzie' to be a happy grower in the garden?  I have heard mixed reviews with some saying that it is one for the alpine house.

Oirlich is fast approaching.   ;D  Fingers crossed for good weather.

Warren,  glad you like 'Pat Mason' - one of my favourites.  Wish I could grow 'Diggory' - I have moved it again this year but expect it will not be alive in 2012.   :(  It seems to be one that just doesn't like my garden.    ::)

John, and other forumnists, all our snowdrops are in the open garden. We don't think that snowdrops are happy in pots (Oeps ... now I have said something for discussion !!!). This means that 'Ronald MacKenzie' is also in the garden just like all the others.
We have a  sandy soil here in the north of Belgium (against the border with the Netherlands). We have made it suitable for Galanthus with especially our own (kitchen)compost (2-3 years old) and a lot of (old) leafmould (mainly beech and oak). Every year in autumn they become a mulchlayer with old leafmould, the same as we have mixed in the ground. Important is how you plant your snowdrops. I'll explain in Oirlich otherwise later on this Forum.
'Ronald MacKenzie' is a new introduction but we can say that until now we had no problems with it. It grows but not very fast.
In the near future we gonna try to post some pictures in een Galanthusserie and to do it each on a specific theme. We don't known whether it is interesting to say a few words about each snowdrop. Last weekend we took al lot of pictures from the snowdrops because the weather was good to photograph and we had the time (!) so now we have to select them and 'adapt' them for putting on the Forum (Flemish and Scottish Forum, so look also on www.vrvforum.be and go to Forum).

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:26:34 PM by freddyvl »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal