We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2011  (Read 148315 times)

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
Re: Galanthus February 2011
« Reply #675 on: February 22, 2011, 09:48:54 PM »
Now,now Richard calm down it could be worse, I could send you a Mrs Tiggywinkle and Ermine Spikey
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #676 on: February 22, 2011, 09:56:50 PM »
they both would need bags on their heads for open days  :P

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #677 on: February 22, 2011, 09:59:58 PM »
they both would need bags on their heads for open days  :P
Lads stop it I LOVE SPIKIES and am not ashamed of it,have you not read the other thread about plants and feelings if they could read this now :-[ :-[
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #678 on: February 22, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »
beauty really is in the eye of the beholder  ;D

esp with spikies

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #679 on: February 22, 2011, 10:12:30 PM »
I can't believe all those Lady Elphinstones and ALL yellow! I only get about 15-20% yellows whether I move them or not. Different clones??? Jo and Paddy, do you have acid soil? It must be the most annoying snowdrop in the world. :-\

I've got acid clay Anne.  

And I know this isn't by the book but I lift my clumps every now and then and take out and keep the yellow ones.  Eventually I get a group of yellows and a group of greens.   I know , I know, its not possible.But thats what I do and the yellows stay yellow   ??? ???

Maybe the bulbs have to be big to be yellow and the special treatment keeps them big  :-\  and the heavy clay stops them splitting into lots of little pieces.     :-\ :-\

This group hasn't been moved for three years.

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #680 on: February 22, 2011, 10:17:24 PM »
Paddy I love your ducks. Are they Khaki Campbells or Runners.   I've got two Indian runners at the mo and you can't beat their eggs for a good sponge cake.

Mind you they've all got big feet and don't mind where they put them  :)

Hens are the worst for damage,  if you think blackbirds make a mess of mulch its nothing compared to chickens

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #681 on: February 22, 2011, 10:24:10 PM »
beauty really is in the eye of the beholder  ;D

esp with spikies
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #682 on: February 22, 2011, 10:51:31 PM »
Paddy I love your ducks. Are they Khaki Campbells or Runners.   I've got two Indian runners at the mo and you can't beat their eggs for a good sponge cake.

Mind you they've all got big feet and don't mind where they put them  :)

Hens are the worst for damage,  if you think blackbirds make a mess of mulch its nothing compared to chickens

Jo, those are two Khaki Campbells - great ducks, two eggs each day without fail, winter and summer. Great girls. Great omelettes etc. Hens are really the worst in the world when it comes to snowdrops especially so as I have one bed which I mulched heavily with a mixture of garden compost and leafmould and the hens absolutely love scratching in this as it is so loose and has so many worms. Snowdrops which come in the way are simply scratched and scattered all around. I have two Jersey Giants and these are the most stupid hens you could imagine and cannot understand why I am hunting them from  the snowdrops. My run of the mill hybrids are much easier hens to manage, ladies. A few "chuck chucks" and they will run to me.

By the way, the Jersey Giants are named "Snowdrop" and "Crocus". We did have, from the same clutch, a "Tulip" but she turned out to be a "Frank" and got the chop.

Back to snowdrops! Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #683 on: February 22, 2011, 11:28:26 PM »
Jo - your garden is very beautiful with lovely healthy clumps of snowdrops.  I also love the blue Crocus it really sets everything off - I must get some for next year.  Are they just a regular blue Crocus or a named variety?

I am curious what is going on with the trees in the distance of the photo entitled 'Cyclamenpets'.  The trees almost look woven?  Very attractive.

What happens in your borders after spring time is over - do you have other things interplanted for the summer?  I am curious as my spring borders look absolutely dull and dead apart from some Geranium macchorizum and Epimedium foliage oh and the odd Fern.  I have been trying to establish some Lilium martagon alba without much success :)

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #684 on: February 23, 2011, 06:05:27 AM »
....you can't beat their eggs for a good sponge cake.

;D ;D  Was that meant to be funny?   ;D

Jo - love tic showing your pets all together.  I remember the way they all followed you around and were never far from you in the garden.

My 'Lady Elphinstone' are all yellow - but I haven't moved them in years.  Will split and move them when they are dormant this year and see what colour they are next year.

Mavers - that picture!  ::) I hope they don't work in marketing with ideas like that!  ;D

(reproduced here so that we can still enjoy this idea for an interesting backdrop in years to come....)

Brian - perhaps you could get your photographic assistant to try some snowdrop pics with this background so that we can see if we prefer it to the blue?   ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:12:00 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #685 on: February 23, 2011, 06:44:58 AM »
I've gone back over all the pictures because I can't remember seeing
any blue crocus.

Do you mean those purple ones in Jo's pictures?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #686 on: February 23, 2011, 06:51:16 AM »
I visited someone today who has Penelope Ann. Here is a comparison photo.

Penelope Ann on the left.

thanks for the comparison picture Mark - you can see why I thought that might be what you were growing - but, as your picture shows, 'Penelope Anne' is a much larger flower.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Mavers

« Reply #687 on: February 23, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »
That's better John, I didn't realise the actual picture could be posted like that.

Now peeps can see it more easily.
Mike
Somerset, UK

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #688 on: February 23, 2011, 09:48:34 AM »
I've gone back over all the pictures because I can't remember seeing
any blue crocus.

Do you mean those purple ones in Jo's pictures?

They're the ones Diane
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #689 on: February 23, 2011, 09:55:23 AM »
In a certain light, with the right spectacles, with an adjustment of the camera settings and a little imagination they could be considered blue.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal