We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2011  (Read 147218 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Galanthus February 2011
« Reply #795 on: February 27, 2011, 11:19:40 PM »
Green Tear was stolen while Avon staff were away for the day.

I assume they were all at a show and the nursery was shut. Was Green Tear all that was taken? If it was, that would suggest  it was specifically targeted by someone knowledgeable who waited for a show day and slipped in when no-one was there. Not likely to be a random visitor who found the place empty, unless they took other snowdrops too.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #796 on: February 28, 2011, 07:18:57 AM »
I saw two people walking around with krasnovii clutched in their mits in Germany - didn't get a chance to find out where or who they came from  - but lovely flower (and distinct enough to attract my attention - VERY nice  8))
[/quote]
That was me John, but i thought you could recognise me by now ;D

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #797 on: February 28, 2011, 07:47:39 AM »
Of course I recognised you Gerard - but it was who the krasnovii came from that I was uncertain.   ;)

Lovely flower shape on them  8)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #798 on: February 28, 2011, 12:01:05 PM »
we're now closed, almost 6000 visitors over the three weeks but has taken its toll, paths all chewed up & mud everywhere, don't think I've ever seen it so bad  :'(

pic of Cliff Curtis before I find it a home.

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #799 on: February 28, 2011, 01:02:20 PM »
A few photos from Colesbourne last week along with a few from my own collection.

The first two are to show Emma that her snowdrop is doing well and multiplying nicely. My only regret is that I didn't take a photograph showing the whole clump as it really is doing well.

The next two show Green Brush. The flower is a little dirty but they do show the outer markings quite clearly.

Corrin, Megan, Bloomer and Jonathan are all mine and seem to be doing well. I know that this is no guarantee of success but I hope that they continue to prosper.

Cheers,
David

edit by maggi to rotate some pictures
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:32:26 PM by Maggi Young »
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #800 on: February 28, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »
Of course I recognised you Gerard - but it was who the krasnovii came from that I was uncertain.   ;)

Lovely flower shape on them  8)
A guy called Rudi Bauer sold them for a fair price compared to the Dutch price if you can buy them!

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
« Reply #801 on: February 28, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
A little clump (is that the correct word) that I came across on Saturday whilst out birdwatching

Snowdrops - Attenborough NR by nick_the_grief, on Flickr

We have a small copse near where I live but the weather has been abolutley rubbish to take photo's and it is about 2 acres of snowdrops this time of year... I live in hope!
Nick
North Warwickshire

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #802 on: February 28, 2011, 09:21:04 PM »
Were the snowdrops in the picture seen here http://www.attenboroughnaturecentre.co.uk/ , Nick?  I used to live a few miles away, although that was quite a long time ago now.  Snowdrops (in the UK) are usually an indicator of former human habitation. 
Almost in Scotland.

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
« Reply #803 on: February 28, 2011, 11:02:52 PM »
Hi Alan,

YEs it was there.
Nick
North Warwickshire

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #804 on: February 28, 2011, 11:05:15 PM »
Nick you aint that far from me.Fellow midlanders love em ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
« Reply #805 on: February 28, 2011, 11:16:30 PM »
I'm a bit further now DaveyP it's about 40 minutes from here to Attenborough but we have a few new members in the Bridwatching club so we took them there as it's close & good.  Now I know where it is I'll be going back so I'll have to look you up next time  8)  I'll bring my trowel  :P
Nick
North Warwickshire

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #806 on: March 01, 2011, 08:41:41 AM »
A few photos from Colesbourne last week along with a few from my own collection.

The first two are to show Emma that her snowdrop is doing well and multiplying nicely. My only regret is that I didn't take a photograph showing the whole clump as it really is doing well.

The next two show Green Brush. The flower is a little dirty but they do show the outer markings quite clearly.

Corrin, Megan, Bloomer and Jonathan are all mine and seem to be doing well. I know that this is no guarantee of success but I hope that they continue to prosper.

Cheers,
David

edit by maggi to rotate some pictures

Thanks David for the photo   ;D
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #807 on: March 01, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »

It's a very distinctive snowdrop, that one.  I cannot help feeling it has had a raw deal in being denied a name when snowdrops in general are being named willy nilly.

Very nice to hear from you again, David.  We've been missing your contributions to the forum.   
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #808 on: March 01, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »

It's a very distinctive snowdrop, that one.I cannot help feeling it has had a raw deal in being denied a name when snowdrops in general are being named willy nilly.

I too think that this is a lovely 'drop.

Is is too late to register it as 'Emma Thick'?  ???

PS: New March Galanthus thread now open.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:20:51 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

GoodGrief

« Reply #809 on: March 01, 2011, 08:25:17 PM »
Trying to see what happens when I upload my first photo.

Visited Colesbourne last week to see the presentations by Melvyn Jope and Rod Leeds.

And what a lovely day...

Regards, Malcolm.

PS. Maggi, by searched through the archives for loading photos and drew a blank. So here goes...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal