We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthomania - the book  (Read 17306 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Galanthomania - the book
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »
As you say, nice photo.  :)
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
I think you stole the show, Martin.

And, what did you think of the book?

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 08:51:12 PM »
I haven't had time to read it properly yet, just flicked through it very quickly. Strikes me as more of a coffee table book about the phenomenon of galanthophilia than a plantsman's guide to snowdrop collecting and growing.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 01:52:06 AM »
Strikes me as more of a coffee table book about the phenomenon of galanthophilia than a plantsman's guide to snowdrop collecting and growing.

Coffee table book - good description. 

I am glad I got it. 
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 08:39:54 AM »
I'm sure there will be plenty of people, including a fair few snowdrop enthusiasts, who will enjoy it for what it is - a comparatively light coffee table book read about galanthophilia and galanthophiles, but others who were expecting something more heavyweight with lots of practical and detailed info on snowdrop cultivars and how to grow them may well be disappointed. Maybe it's all a question of expectations. My advice to anyone who hasn't pre-ordered it but is thinking of buying would perhaps be to try to see the book in the flesh, at a bookshop, or maybe a friend's copy, before buying and have a flick through it to see if it's what you expect it to be.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 08:46:50 AM »
And of course if it helps to get more non-galanthophile gardeners (who might not need a mass of heavyweight practical info initially) interested in snowdrops, then that can't be a bad thing.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
And of course if it helps to get more non-galanthophile gardeners (who might not need a mass of heavyweight practical info initially) interested in snowdrops, then that can't be a bad thing.
Here, here, Martin.  It is certainly not an academic tome, but I find myself picking it up and reading a page when I've got a couple of minutes.  It is very nice to see who all these well-known galanthophiles are after having read all the mentions of them elsewhere.  Obviously useful, and attractive, to those who only have a slight temperature rather than the fully blown condition ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2011, 09:11:08 AM »
I do agree with Brian, i have only had a short look in the book and its completely diffrent then the snowdropbible. Its understandable and readable for everyone. If you would like to write a new snowdropbible and i know you have experience with writing Martin. Just remember how much work needs to be done before you have it all complete, and what will be a reasonable sellingprice? I think there wont be any profit after all that work :'(

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 10:48:55 AM »
No, Gerard, I certainly won't be trying to write a new snowdrop bible  ;D  I know just how much work would be involved, and anyway the team who brought us the first one are already working on producing a second one with new cultivars named since the first came out.

I don't mean to attack Hanneke's book. I have heard that some people have been disappointed by it, probably because it didn't turn out to b quite the kind of book they were expecting. I was just trying, in response to Paddy's question, to give an honest and positive view on it.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »
Martin you could write a snowdrop collectors cartoon booklet
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 06:21:02 PM »
No, Gerard, I certainly won't be trying to write a new snowdrop bible  ;D  I know just how much work would be involved, and anyway the team who brought us the first one are already working on producing a second one with new cultivars named since the first came out.

This century? ;D

galanthophile

• Webshots album
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2011, 07:36:21 PM »
It's not often a new book on snowdrops comes out so I for one was pleased to obtain it. A light read with some nice descriptions of the mania and nice pictures. I'm glad to have it but I would buy any book that featured snowdrops as the main subject....!
Gal-Ann-thophile! from Newcastle in North East England

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
Ann,

I think you were part of the target audience for this book - a person who would buy anything to do with snowdrops. Perhaps, "Galanthobookmania" might have been a suitable title. And there are many, many more like you; I being one.

It is, as you say, a light book.

Paddy

jnovis

• crocusfile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2011, 09:40:20 PM »
I like all the thumbnail pictures in the back pages,makes it easier to compare different plants.
James (Jim) Novis,Horsham,West Sussex.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2011, 09:42:11 PM »
But, it's not a comprehensive listing of photographs, Jim, and many are of  poor quality.

Paddy

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal