We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncos 2011  (Read 72805 times)

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
Re: Oncos 2011
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2011, 09:22:39 PM »
Fantastic grown plants, Hendrik! :o
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:32:38 PM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »
I agree with Jamie : iris Jordana is just fantastic : colour and shape
congratulations for both species hendrick !
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

arillady

« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
Found the garden on the web:
http://www.ramat-hanadiv.org.il/index_en.aspx
Hendrik lovely oncos.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Alisdair

« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2011, 04:13:13 PM »
Pat and Hendrik (and Fred),
The closest I can get to pinning down I. giladensis (which I'm pretty sure it was spelled on the label) is that in the 1933 Flora of Syria an iris was described as Iris atropurpurea var. gileadensis. The current Kew/Missouri Bot Garden "The Plant List" (which despite being obviously a work-in-progress, with all the defects that naturally go with that, is a wonderful tool) sinks this into Iris atrofusca, but admits to low confidence limits on that judgement, which really means that the question is pretty much open as to whether or not this iris is truly a separate taxon.
We did incidentally bump into David Shahak out in the field - or I should say flat out on the field, as he was stretched full length out on the ground busily measuring and photographing. Oron says David certainly knows far more about Israel's oncos than anyone else.
Here is a link to the Rothschild memorial gardens at Ramat Hanadiv:
http://www.ramat-hanadiv.org.il/lobby.aspx?boneId=323
They are excellent, with a strong educational bent (bee/butterfly gardens etc), an emphasis on native plants (e.g the onco area, which is to dream about); the total area is over 400 hectares, largely a nature park, which surrounds the central area of well laid out and tended themed gardens.
Alisdair

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2011, 07:04:39 PM »
Very nice display Hendrik, Hans and Alisdair  :o
This is what I know about Iris gileadensis: Iris gileadensis is not Iris atropurpurea. The distribution of Iris atropurpurea is limited to the Mediterranean coast line. Iris gileadensis is Iris haynei (dark forms) from Jordan ( Gilead is an area refers to the mountainous region east of the Jordan River, situated in the present-day Kingdom of Jordan).

Here is the twin-brother of Hans' Iris damascena ;)
I thought it is pretty similar to Iris hermona, but they are very different both in leaves and flowers.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:09:06 PM by Miriam »
Rehovot, Israel

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2011, 07:42:44 PM »
This winter I lost ~80% (may be even more) of my Oncocyclus :'( :'( :'(
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2011, 08:38:10 PM »
Like Janis, I lost many of my oncos, but in the other hand some older seedlings have germinate. Needless to say I am more than shocked by the amazing pictures that all of you have posted, congratulations.

Definitively I have to paint Iris camillae and Iris damascena, maybe together in the same plate!!!??.... Hansi? Miri? any picture that you could send meeeeeeeeee :'( ;D

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2011, 09:11:43 PM »
Gorgeous plants everybody !!

I've got Iris Paradoxa flowering in the garden - with possibility to give it some summer cover when needed.
I'm trying it outside and will have to see if I have the same result next year...
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2011, 09:14:27 PM »
WOW  :o :) :o
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2011, 09:49:05 PM »
Gorgeous plants everybody !!

I've got Iris Paradoxa flowering in the garden - with possibility to give it some summer cover when needed.
I'm trying it outside and will have to see if I have the same result next year...

Well grown, Luc!

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »
This winter I lost ~80% (may be even more) of my Oncocyclus :'( :'( :'(
Janis

Janis,
The irises you give me during so many years, grow here in Belgium very well.
I will help you to rebuilt your collection!

Hendrik

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2011, 10:12:45 PM »
Well grown Miriam and Luc !
Rafa and Janis, I'm also here to save part of onco species, so I will help you to rebuild your collection, as I think it's the only way to save them : to share them !
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2011, 06:16:49 AM »
Well grown Miriam and Luc !
Rafa and Janis, I'm also here to save part of onco species, so I will help you to rebuild your collection, as I think it's the only way to save them : to share them !

Indeed Fred! The only way to save them is to share them.
Hendrik

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2011, 06:19:35 AM »
Very nice display Hendrik, Hans and Alisdair  :o
This is what I know about Iris gileadensis: Iris gileadensis is not Iris atropurpurea. The distribution of Iris atropurpurea is limited to the Mediterranean coast line. Iris gileadensis is Iris haynei (dark forms) from Jordan ( Gilead is an area refers to the mountainous region east of the Jordan River, situated in the present-day Kingdom of Jordan).

Here is the twin-brother of Hans' Iris damascena ;)
I thought it is pretty similar to Iris hermona, but they are very different both in leaves and flowers.

Very beautiful damascena Miriam!
You can see that they grow in the environment of their homeland.
Hendrik

arillady

« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2011, 09:58:19 AM »
I too am thoroughly enjoying the photos which are amazing.

Rafa if you want to see any of your onco paintings on a cover of an ASI Yearbook or two just let me know.

So sad that you have lost so many of your oncos Janis and Rafa but heartwarming to read of the offers of replacements from other members whose irises have fared better.

You don't know how lucky you are to be able to bring in such irises without all the red tape and hoops you have to jump through here in Oz - plus of course the deep pockets and luck you need here.

Arils here are coming away nicely with lots of fresh new leaves. The long range weather forecaster is predicting cold and dry April and May here this year so that possibly means frosts. I better get their gravel covers thicker before it comes. Ants which have made their homes under some of the arils have been dusted and the small snails will get treated too.

A couple of new seedlings have appeared this week in pots. Must be the cold that triggers some of them. Atropurpurea is of course the first to show germination.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal