We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncos 2011  (Read 72802 times)

Hendrik Van Bogaert

Re: Oncos 2011
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2011, 12:13:31 PM »
Yesterday we had a lot of sun here in Belgium.
Two onco's start flowering: Iris sprengeri and Iris nigricans, both plants from our friend Janis.
As you can see no problem to send Janis some offsets of Iris sprengeri.
Hendrik

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »
Hendrick,

you have a knack for raising wonderful oncos in pots.  I've had much more success in a gravel garden.  Can you tell us a bit more about your potting regimen.  Mixture? Potting season?  Year round maintainance?  Your I. sprengeri is perfect.  I've not managed to keep it more that 2 years, so far.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2011, 04:45:04 PM »
More beauties Hendrik !!  :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2011, 04:56:39 PM »
very nice indeed Hendrik. If only I could........................ ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »
You're right Jamie,
I don't have such a success with Onco's in pots in the greenhouse, only pots in the frame but much better in the open bed...
what is your secret Hendrick ?
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2011, 11:22:14 PM »
Outside, in the bulb frame, Iris swensoniana, from Syria, is flowering ; as always, looks very different depending of the light direction.
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2011, 12:01:56 AM »
Magnificent, Fred. Outstanding!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2011, 08:50:18 AM »
Hendrick,

you have a knack for raising wonderful oncos in pots.  I've had much more success in a gravel garden.  Can you tell us a bit more about your potting regimen.  Mixture? Potting season?  Year round maintainance?  Your I. sprengeri is perfect.  I've not managed to keep it more that 2 years, so far.

The secret (?) is loam and akadama (I think).
I had the possibility to visit several countries where onco's grow; I saw that they always grow in heavy soils, mixed with chalk stones; the soil is not particularly poor!
So I decided to add a sandy loam in my mixture, together with akadama (Japanese clay pellets) - see google.
My mixture is: equal volume parts of split (here we call it Japanese split), coarse river sand, small dolomite stones  (yellow sun 8 - 11 mm), akadama, sandy loam, ordinary potting soil + bonemeal.
I use always clay pots; they stay just to the rim in a sand bed.
Watering must be done carefully, but due the presence of akadama most of the free water is quickly absorbed; so a few hours after a water gift my soil feels humid, but never wet; otherwise there is always sufficient water available during the growing season. I add sandy loam, because loam can absorb a lot of nutrients ... important to achieve strong growing plants
Potting season: October.
First watering after summer: as late as possible October - November (even December if possible)
I try to reduce leaf grow during winter, but that's not easy in my climate. So I use artificial led lights during the dullest months of the year, but I have my doubts if this make the difference.
And maybethe most important thing: everyday of the year I visit my greenhouse and check the plants....
Hendrik

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2011, 08:55:58 AM »
You're right Jamie,
I don't have such a success with Onco's in pots in the greenhouse, only pots in the frame but much better in the open bed...
what is your secret Hendrick ?

Frederic,
I think you must avoid as long as possible early leaf growth in autumn...
I received in December plants of the collection of Jim Archibald; they were in very bad condition and extremely dry.
I thought: impossible that such rhizomes will recover.
During this winter: no leaf or very little leaf growth.
Next week I will show you flowers! Unbelievable!
Hendrik

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2011, 09:51:15 AM »
I agree with you Hendrick regarding starting growth time : they usually start mid september here which is too early.
This year I'll start to delay it untill december.
In the greenhouse, may main problem is temperature as they're grown with caudiciforms plants, so I have to keep minimum 9°C and sometimes more than 25°C durung winter days.

I've really more success growing them in the bed ( with rain protection) so I think I'll build another one to put all plants in this conditions.
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )

arillady

« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »
I read that growers want to keep them from growing as long as possible but I find that they start growth without any holding them back here. Rhizomes that I have dug previously and stored in paper bags start growth by themselves and I NEED to put them in the ground. I am going to try to protect them in the middle of winter from too much rain (if we get it) and maybe a little frost protection too.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »
As a person struggling to learn how to grow these plants (I only have a couple so far to kill  ::)) I find the information and experience of growers sharing their experience here very helpful. Thanks
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

PeterT

« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »
Hendric, when do your temperatures drop so cold that the Iris stop growing for the winter?
I repot in September because the warmer days and cooler nights at that time of year seems to stimulate root growth. That is too soon if cold weather comes late in December because they are growing for too long but if the cold comes early, and they are not well rooted, they suffer in the winter.
  I try to avoid a lot of leaf before winter by giving very little water once the plant is growing and recoverd from repotting. I give no water from the end of October untill warm weather in February.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2011, 08:37:18 PM »
Hendrick,
thanks for the secret!  I've tried watering a clay slurry into the gravel beds to create a heavier, non-organic soil, but it does tend to soak up the water in Winter.  Not always good.  I've not tried akadama clay.  Does it break down or is it a lightly fired clay?  I know it is very popular for bonsai, but, other than the internet, I've never seen it offered.

I can't stop them from growing in the Autumn, actually, I have a lot of seed germination in Septembre to Decembre and most overwinter very well.  Generally, those with pure of more than 50% onco genes want to start growing early, while the regelias seem to wait until they have a freeze to start back into growth.  I find I. hoogiana very difficult, though, regardless of how I treat it.  Don't know why. I. stolonifera generally does quite well for me.  The last teo Winters have hit -15°C, which is bloody cold for Cologne.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

arillady

« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2011, 11:15:25 PM »
Hendrick,
So glad that you got some of Jim Archibald's oncos to grow on. You seem to know exactly what to do for success with them.
Pat
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal