We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncos 2011  (Read 72801 times)

Tom Waters

• iris geek
    • Telperion Oasis
Re: Oncos 2011
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »

I don't think it is possible to do such a thing since most of the Onco. around this area are very variable in color, size and shape of leaves.
In many cases if you will have a cut flower out of its native habitat, no one will be able to say for sure which species it is.
This genus is still evolving and many forms and some species haven't stabled yet to form a definitive 'type'.

Very true! I've long had the hunch that if botanists ever did a truly comprehensive study of the oncocyclus, the group would reduce to 6 to 10 species. All have identical karyotype, all are perfectly interfertile, and several studies show continuous geographical variation in their measurable characters.
Tom Waters
Telperion Oasis ~ www.telp.com/irises
Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA

USDA zone 6

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2011, 07:25:54 PM »
Welcome back, Oron!

Fantastic photos  :o
David Shahak was also in Jordan:
http://www.tapuz.co.il/Forums2008/ViewMsg.aspx?ForumId=465&MessageId=151163017
To those who do not read Hebrew ;D -You can click on the JPG files and you will see the photos.
Rehovot, Israel

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »
 :o Fantastic pictures Oron!!! Thanks a lot for sharing them with us!

I don't think it is possible to do such a thing since most of the Onco. around this area are very variable in color, size and shape of leaves.
In many cases if you will have a cut flower out of its native habitat, no one will be able to say for sure which species it is.
This genus is still evolving and many forms and some species haven't stabled yet to form a definitive 'type'.

Cannot agree more -  as examples here some Iris kirkwoodii - first belongs to ssp. calcarea but second and third? This two clones of syrian origin are something different (3. from a very generous forumist as single shot, thanks a lot!)- flowers are a bit larger and pale, plants are larger and a bit more floriferous (clone 3 about 50(!) buds).
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »
Second: Thank you Pat, I will try to paint any onco, specially any Syrian or Israelian one if any kind friend send me a picture... :'( ;D

Rafa, will send you pictures, and maybe something more... ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:59:35 PM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »
Hans,

every year, when I see your kirkwoodi collection,  I skip and my heart skips a beat.  I finally have germinated a seed and it looks like it will carry on.

danke,

Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2011, 10:48:28 AM »
Many many Onco's are showing buds now... that I'll missed as I'll be away for one week...  :( :'( :'( :'(
that's the main problem when travelling at this period of the year.

Iris damascena is flowering now, enormous flower as usual, but only one..  >:(

Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

arillady

« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2011, 10:52:57 AM »
Fred it looks like you will have many more to see when you get back.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2011, 11:02:48 AM »
Yes Pat, but as it's very hot now in France, they will grow fastly and the other problem is that I won't be able to manage all the pollinations by myself, resulting in inter specifics crossings...
As I don't want them, I'll sent you the seeds if I have and you want  ;D
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »
Maybe only one Fred, but ONE beauty it is !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Regelian

« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2011, 11:22:16 AM »
Yes Pat, but as it's very hot now in France, they will grow fastly and the other problem is that I won't be able to manage all the pollinations by myself, resulting in inter specifics crossings...
As I don't want them, I'll sent you the seeds if I have and you want  ;D

Moment!  Put me on that list, Fred.  I know that feeling, not being around for the bloom season.  I'm very busy from now until end of July, but this year, I've planned an extra day free each week, which will hopefully actually give ma an occaisional extra day.  Some one always becomes ill at work and guess who has to cover?  ::)

Pat,  I have quite a few seedlings this Spring from your seed.  Some lortetii crosses, as well as hermona and samariae. And, they are looking very healthy!  Three to 4 leaves at this point.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
Ok Jamie  ;)
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )

arillady

« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2011, 11:33:02 AM »
Thanks Fred and I don't mind sharing at all with you Jamie.  :)So glad to know some of the seed are germinating for you Jamie. :D
What more do you need in life than to see rare and interesting seed germinating?...... don't answer that I know there is plenty more to survive and prosper but....... ::)
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Regelian

« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2011, 11:51:53 AM »
Thanks Fred and I don't mind sharing at all with you Jamie.  :)So glad to know some of the seed are germinating for you Jamie. :D
What more do you need in life than to see rare and interesting seed germinating?...... don't answer that I know there is plenty more to survive and prosper but....... ::)

Pat,

a small confesion.  Today, it is sunny, warm and an ever so gentle breeze keeps refilling my lungs with the wonders of Spring.  I'm basking in these glorious moments and nothing can touch me.  A feather-like soul comes to us all too seldom and must be relished like a gourmet meal, by creeping low amongst the pathways and beds, letting yourself be filled with the wonder unfolding about you.  One feels so small, yet so great, in that one had a hand in the bounty.  You can feel the tears swelling as one watches sprouting seeds reaching for the lifegiving sun in a world abosolutely strange to their homelands.  Do I want and iced tea or a gin and tonic.  Oh, how the question tourchers the spirit. The thirst, the thirst.

PS: thanks Fred!
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2011, 12:40:06 PM »
Thanks Fred and I don't mind sharing at all with you Jamie.  :)So glad to know some of the seed are germinating for you Jamie. :D

Pat,

a small confesion.  Today, it is sunny, warm and an ever so gentle breeze keeps refilling my lungs with the wonders of Spring.  I'm basking in these glorious moments and nothing can touch me.  A feather-like soul comes to us all too seldom and must be relished like a gourmet meal, by creeping low amongst the pathways and beds, letting yourself be filled with the wonder unfolding about you.  One feels so small, yet so great, in that one had a hand in the bounty.  You can feel the tears swelling as one watches sprouting seeds reaching for the lifegiving sun in a world abosolutely strange to their homelands.  Do I want and iced tea or a gin and tonic.  Oh, how the question tourchers the spirit. The thirst, the thirst.

PS: thanks Fred!
Jamie,i am not a religious person but with moments like yours I consider spiritual, well as close as it gets.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Regelian

« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »
Davey,

neither am I, but one can venture to understand.  I'm always in awe of what most people seem to ignore....except those like oneself.  Soul brothers and sister.  Funkadelic had it right!
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal