We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A three week Galanthus Blog  (Read 54583 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: A three week Galanthus Blog
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
Hi Sean

It's just a fuji finepix HS10 - I take loads and loads of pictures and hope to get one good'un out of every 15 or so taken.  The wonders of digital.   :)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »
just glad I didn't say Saturday, is horrible out there today.

So am i - we have localised flooding here.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Mavers

« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2011, 06:49:33 PM »
Photos are superb John, it was good to meet you & Jo again.
Mike
Somerset, UK

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »
Thanks John, good to see G.'Swanton' doing well down there, Jane-Ann will be pleased.  I rather like Hagen's 'G.'Ilse Bilse' and G.'Springvale', not one I had come across. 
...and two of my favourite birds Jo and Emma whoops typo  ;D, goldfinch and long-tailed tit.

Brian,  my husband suggested that the 'old jokes' are always the best  ;) then qualified himself with 'not that I'm suggesting you're an old joke '  :o :o   Hmmmm, revenge :-\

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2011, 11:23:50 PM »
Lovely photos John - I love that spotted/webbed double Hellebore, never seen one like that before.  Dodo Norton is a lovely snowdrop even with the flowers closed, reminds me of decorations on a Christmas tree.  Excellent bird shots.  I must try to take a few of birds one of these days.
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2011, 06:37:38 PM »
(The thumbnails in this post can be clicked to see a larger version of the image)

The dilemma!  Do I post here or under the events thread.  I think best to start here so I can look back over this in a few years time - but I'll also pop a few pics in the other thread too.   :)

This morning at 8.55 Art600, Art's mate Dan, and Kentish_Lass (Jennie) arrived at my house.  We had a quick rearrange of the contents in Arthur's car boot as I needed space to fit in a couple of trays of 'chuck outs' and a box full of sausage rolls.  Todays trip is planned to Bennington Lordship in Hertfordshire, where Richard has organised an SRGC gathering of forum members.  As usually Arthur has planned the journey to perfection and we arrive at our destination with a few minutes to spare (and time for Jennie to grab a fag!   ::))

As we walked up the drive I knew it was going to be a good day - this was our first view!

268881-0

Then it was down to the serious business of cake  8)

268883-1

268885-2

This is the window to the room we were eating cake in!

268887-3

During and after stuffing our faces with everyone's delicious cakes and Jennie's amazing savoury cheese scones, that I couldn't stop scoffing, I took charge of the 'swap shop'.  Hopefully everyone went home with something they are not already growing.   8)  I came away with a 'Modern Art' to replace the clump I lost to botritis a few years ago.  Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures during the dividing of drops as my hands were covered in dirt - but here are a couple of photos taken afterwards.

268889-4

268891-5

Then we suddenly realised that we had spent so long stuffing our faces and swapping drops that it was only 30 mins before Joe Public arrived so we dashed outside to go and look at Richard's wonderful collection before the masses!

Looking up at the main house.

268893-6

a view from the balcony

268895-7

More to follow.....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:40:51 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
By jove, I'm surprised anyone would let you into a tea-romm with such a smart window   ;)

For more photos and info about how this 'Snowdrops and Cake'  meeting at Benington Lordship came about see thissi thread: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6221
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »
nice shot of the window  ;)

until that room was converted a little over 5 years ago it was never really seen by anyone (the tea room being on the other side of the hosue) & was virtually covered in stacked boxes in the store room inside, is even more impressive from the inside, hopefully someone got some pics.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »
Richard was a prefect tour guide (he has had lots of practice with coach trips arriving at Bennington Lordship every week).  After walking past the house we entered 'the moat' (which really was a moat hundreds of years ago).  We were told the story of how the drops were discovered in the moat - all due to a goat  :o  but you will have to visit to hear the story.....   ;D

1 & 2 - Moat
3 - our merry band
4 - lovely catkins
5 - The long border (I hear these are fantastic during the summer months)
6 - Admiring some of the specials
7 - Jennie (KentishLass) and Ali (a Lurker - hopefully soon a member  ;)) admiring a snowdrop.
8 - David Quinton went down and gave Richard a 'chipping workshop'- two years later they are coming on.  8)
9 - A dogs bum
10 - Heading back for more cake!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:15:07 PM by KentGardener »
John

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2011, 07:31:34 PM »
Emma is wearing the same clothes as last week :o :)

c-o-f-f-e-e cup cakes

John could you add names to the last photo? There are faces there I dont know. Meeting various forum members it's a mazing how many do not look like their forum avatars. Last week I didnt know who Mavers was when he spoke to me. John F looks different also and I saw him without his bovver boy clothes on LOL
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
Emma is wearing the same clothes as last week :o :)

c-o-f-f-e-e cup cakes

John could you add names to the last photo? There are faces there I dont know. Meeting various forum members it's a mazing how many do not look like their forum avatars. Last week I didnt know who Mavers was when he spoke to me. John F looks different also and I saw him without his bovver boy clothes on LOL

Oh Mark,

How could you be so ungentlemanly as to pass such a comment on a ladies clothing! Emma is dressed perfectly for the occasion.

John, more names would be interesting. Good shots and lovely report.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2011, 07:50:05 PM »
Mark! :o   I am wearing the same clothes I was wearing 4 years ago....   :D

Names to last pic:

KentishLass, Gail, Emma's mum, EmmaT, Ali (lurker), Chas, Chas's misses Janet, Art600, Dan (Art's mate), Simon (hubby of Ali the lurker)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:03:40 PM by KentGardener »
John

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2011, 07:52:09 PM »
John,

You have a great way with words: "Simon - husband of Ali the Lurker". I hope the name doesn't stick.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »
John,

You have a great way with words: "Simon - husband of Ali the Lurker". I hope the name doesn't stick.

Paddy

And they are not even married either Paddy!   :o  ;D

(but they are best friends of mine from my jungle garden jaunts so I hope I can get away with it  ;))
John

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2011, 08:00:10 PM »
John,

thanks for the write up, and bringing half of your garden with you  ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal