We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Allium 2011  (Read 83147 times)

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
Re: Allium 2011
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2011, 09:07:56 PM »
Wietse,

Very beautiful alliums! I get a great pleasure looking at your wonderful pictures. Thanks a lot for showing.
I am very pleased to see you grow allium rotundum as well, which is native to our country. This allium is very common in Armeina.

My native allium species are not in bloom, but soon some will flower. I will certainly share the photos.

Just came from the country house and photographed my allium sarawschanicum CHINORO.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

wmel

• a giant in alliums!
« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Wietse,

Very beautiful alliums! I get a great pleasure looking at your wonderful pictures. Thanks a lot for showing.
I am very pleased to see you grow allium rotundum as well, which is native to our country. This allium is very common in Armeina.

My native allium species are not in bloom, but soon some will flower. I will certainly share the photos.

Just came from the country house and photographed my allium sarawschanicum CHINORO.

Thank you Boyed; Rotundum is a very nice allium, but it has very smal bulbs, so they are not easy to find in the clay here....
Are you sure your allium photo above is Chinoro?, because it doesn't look like mine; Yours looks very much like christopii to me, but ofcourse I could be wrong.

Wietse Mellema, Klutenweg 39 I, Creil  Netherlands
Bulbs and bulbflower grower of allium and tulips

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2011, 10:53:50 PM »
Thank you Boyed; Rotundum is a very nice allium, but it has very smal bulbs, so they are not easy to find in the clay here....
Are you sure your allium photo above is Chinoro?, because it doesn't look like mine; Yours looks very much like christopii to me, but ofcourse I could be wrong.

Wietse,
The thing is that I am not sure it is really Chinoro, especially when I checked and compared its photo with the one shown in Leonid Bondarenko's catalogue. I received Chinoro and christopii in the same year from Janis Ruksans, but I noticed many mislabelling. That's what I received as allium christopii.
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2011, 11:13:54 PM »
Looks he or you mixed the labels

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

wmel

• a giant in alliums!
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2011, 06:23:04 AM »
Wietse,
The thing is that I am not sure it is really Chinoro, especially when I checked and compared its photo with the one shown in Leonid Bondarenko's catalogue. I received Chinoro and christopii in the same year from Janis Ruksans, but I noticed many mislabelling. That's what I received as allium christopii.

Boyed,  The last 2 photos you post are indeed Chinoro, and the first 2 (you call Chinoro) are then for sure christopii

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
Boyed,  The last 2 photos you post are indeed Chinoro, and the first 2 (you call Chinoro) are then for sure christopii

Roland, Wietse,
Thanks a lot for corrections.
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2011, 05:54:46 AM »

Roland, Wietse,
Thanks a lot for corrections.
Zhirair, you certainly misplaced labels!
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2011, 06:09:29 AM »
Shortly ago returned from Turkey. Not many flowers seen as spring was earl;y, winter with less snow then usually. But few nice pictures I maid. Here Allium nemrutdaghense at Nemrut Dag (Malatya). Most beautifull form on last picture. Unfortunately in my collection are only pure white forms grown up from seeds collected at Nemrutdag some years ago. I even didn't know that there are such color forms in this species.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2011, 06:12:31 AM »
Allium huber-morathii is fantastic!

Thank you Maggi,
There are so many beautiful alliums that I find it very difficult to find one to be the most beautiful....
But one of them is (next to huber-morathii) allium gypsaceum. again one that is not making ofsets or seeds :( :(

Allium gypsaceum with me well set seeds every year, otherwise it would not be possible to offer it in my catalogue. Very rarely bulb splits in two.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2011, 06:18:32 AM »
Hello onion fans, a mad dash reply here this morning before work...

@Wietse:  I think the 2 alliums you show, as A. siskiyouense and A. falcifolium, are both A. falcifolium (even if your siskiyouense came from Janis)...  the leaves on that siskiyouense look too broad.  Allium falcifolium and siskiyouense are closely related, thus similar, and A. falcifolium, like many alliums, is most variable.

Rain today allows to check earlier entries. All my American alliums are grown from Ron Ratko's seeds (NW Native seeds, unfortunately not more on trade), so I suppose that they must be true to name as they usually are. Various stocks looks slightly different, I keep them under original numbers and I'm not mixing plants from different localities.
Janis

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
Shortly ago returned from Turkey. Not many flowers seen as spring was earl;y, winter with less snow then usually. But few nice pictures I maid. Here Allium nemrutdaghense at Nemrut Dag (Malatya). Most beautifull form on last picture. Unfortunately in my collection are only pure white forms grown up from seeds collected at Nemrutdag some years ago. I even didn't know that there are such color forms in this species.
Janis

Janis, the color forms of A. nemrutdaghense are simply luscious, the last one especially so. :o :o :o   Oh my oh my, my head is spinning!
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

wmel

• a giant in alliums!
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2011, 10:34:09 AM »
Janis

Janis; These are indeed very beautiful!!. The colour looks like allium nigrum "Silver Spring" a little! (see photo)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2011, 12:15:16 PM »

Janis; These are indeed very beautiful!!. The colour looks like allium nigrum "Silver Spring" a little! (see photo)

Wietse, I thought the same, a similarity in color combination.  Absolutely stunning photo of 'Silver Spring', does that one set seed, and if so, does it come true from seed?  Make the regular European form of Allium nigrum look dull by comparison.

Also GORGEOUS is A. gypsaceum and huber-morathii you showed, both extremely desirable.  I grew a plant from Arnis Seisums of A. sieheanum from Turkey, which looks just like A. huber-morathii; there are a series of similar and confusing Turkish species.

I notice that your A. cupanii is darker pink than forms I've grown, where is your plants from?  I grew A. cupanii ssp. hirtovaginatum from Turkey, and it was a much paler pink.

Regarding Allium ledebourianum, after many years of growing anything by that name, I've yet to find the true Allium ledebourianum.  The species is mainly separated from A. schoenoprasum based on stamen length... more on this later, I'm late for work.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »
Mark

As far as I know is Silverspring multiplied by seed
it never made bulblet's here
but is registered
I don't know how
because the seedlings are variable
would be a nice discussion
how you can make a registration
from a not true regrowing seedling

but maybe I got the not real one

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »

Wietse, I thought the same, a similarity in color combination.  Absolutely stunning photo of 'Silver Spring', does that one set seed, and if so, does it come true from seed?  Make the regular European form of Allium nigrum look dull by comparison.

With me SILVERSPRING set seeds but seedlings didn't bloom yet. Original stock turned virus infected an I destroyed it. Something doubtful about it's hardiness, too.
I noticed the similarity between some A. nemrutdaghrense and Silverspring, too. Pity that didn't collect any of this forms bulbs. It is narrow endemic of Nemrut-dag National Park... So, you can understand my reaction.
Janis

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal