We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: FRITILLARIA 2011  (Read 28377 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: FRITILLARIA 2011
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2011, 11:45:53 AM »

Here is a shot of clumping F. meleagris, plus a single alba of the species.  As with most of us, this will seed about in moist conditions.  Clumping seems to be possibly clone specific, but constant moisture certainly has a bit to do with it, possibly summer coolness, as well.  This clump is under an Acer palmatum dissectum.

Some of my Fritillaria meleagris growing in a very wet border which was flooded last winter. Both white and purple are clumping and spreading. As mentioned in an earlier post these came from two bags of 10 from a supermarket
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2011, 12:45:07 PM »
This is the first flower on the only survivor from a packet of frit group seed (2005) of 'F. crassifolia kurdica'. Much to my surprise it turned out to be a rather lovely unmarked luminous green. Any views on the ID?

Maybe pontica Darren, although lacking the usual brownish suffusion.  A view inside might help, horned bulbs would clinch it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:51:35 PM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gerry Webster

« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »
This is the first flower on the only survivor from a packet of frit group seed (2005) of 'F. crassifolia kurdica'. Much to my surprise it turned out to be a rather lovely unmarked luminous green. Any views on the ID?

Maybe pontica Darren, although lacking the usual brownish suffusion.  A view inside might help, horned bulbs would clinch it.
I've just had another look at the picture & see that there is a whorl of 3 bracts below the flower. So Ashley's suggestion is possible; a horned bulb would be conclusive. Another possibility is an unmarked form of F. involucrata.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2011, 08:10:34 PM »
New photos of fritillaria pinardii(?)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:48:18 PM by Maggi Young »
in Eskisehir / Turkey

wooden shoe

« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
Thank you all for identifying my frits. As for the Frit 'known as pudica' general agreement says it's Fritillaria aurea and I guess that's right. Just for the record I have added a photo of the inside.
The second one is a bigger riddle. I have added more pictures for the experts. Fritillaria hermonis might be right although mine is more yellow indeed. For one photo I got assistance of a slug who helped to make the innerside of the flower more visible. The green one of Darren is still a mistery too, I have googled a bit but couldn't point the rightone out.
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
Rob, I'm sure your last photo is another frit again.... look at the markings on the petals....  ???
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
The second one is a bigger riddle. I have added more pictures for the experts. Fritillaria hermonis might be right although mine is more yellow indeed.

Could this be F (hermonis) amana 'Goksum Gold'
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:32:49 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

wooden shoe

« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2011, 09:31:48 PM »
I have been googling and I guess that's the one indeed Diane. Thank you all!
I also saw it spelled Gokzun Gold, probably derived from Göksun Turkey.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:37:24 PM by wooden shoe »
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2011, 09:35:03 PM »
The second one is a bigger riddle. I have added more pictures for the experts. Fritillaria hermonis might be right although mine is more yellow indeed.

Could this be F (hermonis) amana 'Goksan Gold'

My thought too - 'Gokzum Gold' I think; the yellow form of F. hermonis amana (or F. amana, if you prefer). This terrible  cv. name was neither devised nor approved by Norman Stevens who made the original collection.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2011, 06:54:48 PM »
Frit. grandiflora ( back ) in difference with Frit.latifolia
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Gerry Webster

« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2011, 09:00:11 PM »
Superb Dirk.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »
I raised this plant as Frit cirrhosa from society seed. I see that this can be variable and as it doesn't look like the ones I saw in the wild can someone confirm whether it is likely to be correct?
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
Although F. chirrosa is variable I think that all have tendrils to the tips of their leaves.
Here are 2 Frits flowering this evening. Fritillaria crassicaulis with very large yellow bells from china and another with small yellow bells from Turkey I think.
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2011, 11:46:11 PM »
Your yellows are beautiful Susan. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Graham Catlow

« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2011, 08:53:35 PM »
My fritillaria meleagris 'meadow' OK my small patch of fritillaria with an underplanting of primula. Unfortunately the frits are at their peak just before the primula are at theirs. The Trillium chloropetalum giganteum is just going over now. (top right of the photo) hardly discernable.

Fritillaria meleagris 'Alba'
Bo'ness. Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal