We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: FRITILLARIA 2011  (Read 28372 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: FRITILLARIA 2011
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2011, 12:02:12 PM »
One of the problems we had on this trip to Turkey was the amount of road building that is taking place.  Everywhere dual carriageways were being built even to seemingly remote villages.  This has changed the landscape a lot - the banks where you expect to find plants are no longer there.

A case in point was the road to Bahcesaray where we had previously found Fritillaria minuta and minima.  The first two photos show where we stopped to look for the Frits - not a previous location as this was now under a new road - not very promising.

We did not find Fritillaria minuta, but found Fritillaria minima growing amongst the boulders, and scattered across the site were a few Fritillaria crassifolia.

A companion plant was this excellent tulip
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »
Wonderful to see these plants in the wild Arthur.  Thank you.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2011, 06:52:06 PM »
Thank you , Art, I enjoyed the photos very much  :)
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

art600

« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »
We travelled from Van to Dogubayazit and along the way were fortunate to see alot of Fritillaria at various sites.

Perhaps the most interesting was the first site - hills of gypsum.  Here we found Fritillaria crassifolia.

Further on we found Fritillaria ? caucasica - shots 4 - 6

At the Tendurek Pass we found a crassifolia, that at one time had fooled people into thinking it was Fritillaria michailovskyi - it isn't  :) - approximately 50% of the plants had the yellow tips.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:40:35 AM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Gerry Webster

« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
Arthur -  very interesting to see the frits on the Tendurek Pass. F. michailovskyi is morphologically very similar to F. crassifolia & the two hybridise. I remember some years ago Bob Wallis opining that they were in fact the same species.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

art600

« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2011, 02:42:30 PM »
I think in this instance Ranveig is wrong - wait until I show the 'real' michailovskyi before you reply.
Arthur Nicholls

art600

« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »
I had tried on several trips to Turkey to see Fritillaria michailovskyi on the Tahir Pass.  This is a very short form compared with the plants seen near Patnos (sorry no images of the latter as I only took slides then and need to transfer them to my computer).

When we set off from Dogubayazit the weather was threatening - the deluge arrived just as we reached the site, hence only two shots.

I also managed to take a couple of shots of fritillaria armena.
Arthur Nicholls

art600

« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2011, 03:44:28 PM »
I had hoped to see Fritillaria alburyan on the Kop Pass, but fresh snow made this impossible.

Fortunately, another new site proved more productive, though looking at the site it was difficult to believe that it could be growing there
Arthur Nicholls

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
so close yet so far for me :)
in Eskisehir / Turkey

art600

« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2011, 07:40:28 PM »
At the site for Fritillaria alburyana, we also saw Fritillaria caucasica and some delightful companion plants.  The ground was very boggy.

1.  Fritillaria caucasica
2.  General view
3.  Primula ?  ID please
4.  Caltha polypetala
5.  Primula ?  ID please
6.  Another view of 5.
Arthur Nicholls

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #175 on: June 30, 2011, 04:38:48 AM »
Wonderful pictures Arthur. The pure pink alburyana is sooooo much nicer than the purplish form.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #176 on: June 30, 2011, 09:44:19 AM »
Wow, Arthur.  Fantastic pics of plants in the wild.  I'm just blown away by some of the species you've shown..... I'm not sure I've even seen half of them before (certainly not in the flesh anyway).

Thanks so much for sharing the pics. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2011, 10:35:17 AM »
Hello all, I am about to bother you with another question of mine :)

I have some frits, my first frits which are gathered by me from wild , very small-hazelnut sized bulbs, probably F.pinardii. I am keeping them in sand at the moment. Should I plant them a proper pod now and take them out? And when should I start watering? I am planning to imitate nature, when it rains I'll water. What do you think about this idea?
in Eskisehir / Turkey

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2011, 05:36:51 PM »
Arda, if it is not too difficult for you you should read Ian Young's Bulb Log it would help you enormously.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »
Arda

Plant the bulbs and then give the pot a very good soaking with water - make the soil completely wet.  Then put the pot where it cannot get wet and wait until you see growth before giving more water.

There are more details in Ian's Bulb Log, this is a summary and works for me.
Arthur Nicholls

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal