We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: FRITILLARIA 2011  (Read 28939 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: FRITILLARIA 2011
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2011, 09:51:17 PM »
I really like the F. baskilensis, a name new to me, and the gibbosa is a beautiful form - trying to be a Nomocharis? ;D

How many flowers does it take Janis, for the stenanthera to be a multiflowered form? It looks very "multi" to me, and a lovely shade of pink.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2011, 07:17:47 PM »
I really like the F. baskilensis, a name new to me, and the gibbosa is a beautiful form - trying to be a Nomocharis? ;D

How many flowers does it take Janis, for the stenanthera to be a multiflowered form? It looks very "multi" to me, and a lovely shade of pink.

May be this one could be named as "multiflowered" ;D
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

christian pfalz

• Journal Access Group
  • mediterranean alpines, greece, turkey, iran
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »
janis, you have an absolutly fantastic bulb collection...
cheers
chris
Rheinland-Pfalz south-west Germany, hot and relatively dry

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2011, 07:20:33 PM »
Today all the day cloudy, cold and rainy. So no joy to go out to greenhouses, so only two new frits of today
Fritillaria minima SASA-121
and Fritillaria crassifolia WHIR-183 from Iran
Janis

Gerry Webster

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2011, 08:22:24 PM »
Fritillaria thessala

Received as F. gussichiae from 'Rare Plants'. This is my second attempt to obtain true F. gussichiae from this supplier.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Darren

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »
This is the first flower on the only survivor from a packet of frit group seed (2005) of 'F. crassifolia kurdica'. Much to my surprise it turned out to be a rather lovely unmarked luminous green. Any views on the ID? I ask because I have also got first flowers on a couple of other pots of seedlings from the same exchange, the same year, and 'F alfredae glaucoviridis' turned out to be acmopetala, 'F pyrenaica' is meleagris....  To be fair - there are numerous individuals still to flower so it is possible that the odd stray seed of more vigorous interlopers has got there first.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2011, 09:03:56 PM »
That is a pretty thing, Darren.

Here is a shot of clumping F. meleagris, plus a single alba of the species.  As with most of us, this will seed about in moist conditions.  Clumping seems to be possibly clone specific, but constant moisture certainly has a bit to do with it, possibly summer coolness, as well.  This clump is under an Acer palmatum dissectum.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

wooden shoe

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2011, 09:23:53 PM »
all beauties,

I'm just starting with Fritillaria and it seems that I'm not the only one having problems with the names. Could someone please identify these:
The first one was sold as Fritillaria pudica which it is not. Anyway 2 out of 4 looked like this while the 2 others were Fritillaria uva-vulpis. As far as I could make out it looks more like Fritillaria glauca but then which is the second one? That one was sold to me by a different supplier under the name Fritillaria glauca 'Goldilocks'?
Thank you Rob
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »

May be this one could be named as "multiflowered" ;D
Janis

Wow! Oh yes, that would do it all right. 8)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2011, 10:04:09 PM »
Your first one wooden shoe, is (I think) either collina or aurea. I can never remember without looking it up, which of the two has square shoulders. Before I enlarged it, I thought the second was acmopetala, but no. Not glauca though.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:06:29 PM by Lesley Cox »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »
all beauties,

I'm just starting with Fritillaria and it seems that I'm not the only one having problems with the names. Could someone please identify these:
The first one was sold as Fritillaria pudica which it is not. Anyway 2 out of 4 looked like this while the 2 others were Fritillaria uva-vulpis. As far as I could make out it looks more like Fritillaria glauca but then which is the second one? That one was sold to me by a different supplier under the name Fritillaria glauca 'Goldilocks'?
Thank you Rob
Rob - The first one could be F. aurea, I don't think the  second one is  F. glauca - I'm not sure what it is. To identify frits one needs to see the leaf arrangement on the whole plant & the inside of the flower - stigma & nectaries.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2011, 05:41:30 AM »
all beauties,

Thank you Rob

The first is aurea without doubt. The second - too many with similar flowers, but not glauca. Must to see details.
Janis

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2011, 09:47:09 AM »
Fritillaria thessala

Received as F. gussichiae from 'Rare Plants'. This is my second attempt to obtain true F. gussichiae from this supplier.

Gerry

I trust he refunded your money  :-\ ??? :-\
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »
Rob, your first is aurea and the second looks to be a yellowish  hermonis.

Not sure what your pale beauty is , Darren, but I like it!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »
Fritillaria thessala

Gerry
I trust he refunded your money  :-\ ??? :-\
Arthur - He  replaced the first misidentified  plant with another which turned out to be F. whittallii - not what I wanted but rather a nice form actually. I haven't yet  had a reply to my latest complaint. It appears that his supplier is either ignorant or careless or both.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal