We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop Gala 2011  (Read 11113 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Snowdrop Gala 2011
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »
I was going to congratulate you on buying just one bagful Brian. But then recognized THAT BAG. It was only for your Colesbourne plants!  
I'm not saying anything ;D ::) ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »
to continue, I believe Ruth is named for a friend of theirs.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »
The lovely Priscilla Bacon again...

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 06:55:25 PM »
and the last few folks! 'Turncoat' is one of Richard's Trym crosses (I do believe Valerie may have named it :D), compared with the original plant it is much more vigorous and robust.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »
The sale seems much more civilized than the mayhem and rush on JohnG's site.  That one is not the event for those of us who like to think long and hard about our purchases ( :-X).

On the contrary John, by the end Glen Chantry's stand looked like a bomb had hit it.  It was in a good big hall and the stands were spaced round the edge which meant there was a lot more room for milling around.

Of course having thought long and hard, you go with a wish list and find as many as you can...and get waylaid by other lovely things too.

Hagen I am pleased you are finding them interesting, I think probably one of the hardest things is trying to find a new name for a snowdrop that has not been used before!

I apologise to all those I have not named, I sat in front of Jo Hynes, Mark, AlanB and Steve Owen at the lecture and bumped into no end of other people (and that wasn't just trying to get to the sales tables 8)

Sean Fox

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 08:10:18 PM »
Thanks for the photos Brian, gives newbies like myself a good insight into what goes on at the Galanthus gala!! The sales area seems a little mad for my liking, as has been said, I also like to browse before buying so think I'd stand little chance to be honest. Seems that some people get a new lease of life when it comes to being first to a sales table looking at Jims blog!!  :o

Going back to snowdrops like others have mentioned Pricilla Bacon is a wonderful snowdrop and stands out. I also like the look of Wisp.

With your account of the gala, Johns blog and others who have put photos up we're really being spoilt at this moment in time :) :P

Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »
Sean,it helps if youhave played rugby in the past,especially when the doors are opened,I was about 10th in the queue,it was a bit like a cork coming out of a bottle

It was good to meet other forum members there,even if only briefly, there never is much time to chat,but have to say was pleased with my purchases one of them being Pricilla Bacon

I will have to visit Woodchippings again on a quieter day with Jan sometime,did like the look of Ruth,and Turncoat
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »
Brian - great photos of the Gala and gardens.  I would love to attend a Gala one of these days.  I love the photos of Woodchippings - what a beautiful garden with lovely clumps of snowdrops.  I have been trying to get my garden to look like that for years and am still nowhere close to it.  I have realised that my garden is missing the early colour of Cyclamen coum - I must remedy that asap.

Out of interest what are the snowdrop prices at the Gala?  Do they start around £4 and go up to £50...or beyond?  Is there an average price ie. £20?  Just curious.  Was there much worth buying after the initial crush? ???

Really enjoyed your photos - Priscilla Bacon is beautiful
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Sean Fox

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 08:34:30 PM »
Sean,it helps if youhave played rugby in the past,especially when the doors are opened,I was about 10th in the queue,it was a bit like a cork coming out of a bottle

It was good to meet other forum members there,even if only briefly, there never is much time to chat,but have to say was pleased with my purchases one of them being Pricilla Bacon

I will have to visit Woodchippings again on a quieter day with Jan sometime,did like the look of Ruth,and Turncoat

We'll have to get a forum scrum together to keep the masses at bay  :D
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
Now there's a thought Sean

And Jennie ,prices ranged from abot £10 up to £120 depending on what it was,also you find that some drops there, are only in limited numbers,I was after Rosemary Burnham but by the time I got to the sales table in question they had all gone, as they only had 5 for sale
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:44:07 PM by chasw »
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 08:45:48 PM »
Brian - Great shots.  This Walker Canada is a complete mystery. A couple of years ago nobody that I have contacted in Canada could ever recall a Walker that had a penchant for snowdrops - east or west.  Any mention of the original source at Woodchippings?

johnw - a cold and miserable day here with sun.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 08:55:34 PM »
Now there's a thought Sean

And Jennie ,prices ranged from abot £10 up to £120 depending on what it was,also you find that some drops there, are only in limited numbers,I was after Rosemary Burnham but by the time I got to the sales table in question they had all gone, as they only had 5 for sale

Thanks for answering my question Chas & well done on getting Priscilla Bacon - I really like that one.  I keep reading that Rosemary Burnham can be fickle, but it is beautiful
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 09:44:35 PM »
I must put the record straight or I will be 'drummed out of the brownies', only the first photos were mine.  The rest courtesy of David who strangely found time on his hands whilst I was succumbing to the fever.

Jennie I did think of you when I was at Woodchippings.  I came home with my head spinning, you ought to try and visit.

John I don't think anyone knows who this 'Walker' was.  For those who don't know about this one it came from the garden of Richard Nutt and the book says
A nearby faded and barely legible label with the name "Walker, Canada" is all that is known about this lovely snowdrop.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 09:52:04 PM »
I am going to regret asking this I know.  But I am intrigued to know what is so fascinating about the picture of me bending over that deserves all those viewings...it must be for the Colesbourne bag surely.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »
I am going to regret asking this I know.  But I am intrigued to know what is so fascinating about the picture of me bending over that deserves all those viewings...it must be for the Colesbourne bag surely.

Oh, Brian, Darling, you must realise that you do cut a fine figure of a man. It's not just your snowdrops that people admire.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal