We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop Gala 2011  (Read 11122 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Snowdrop Gala 2011
« on: February 13, 2011, 01:15:25 PM »
Back from the Gala, some good talks, very good company and some lovely gardens.  I'm hoping someone will add photos from the visit to Thenford House as we had to miss that one.  These will probably appear in a muddle but that's me all over.
We were extremely lucky that Richard and Valerie were kind enough to spend some time with us when we looked round their exciting garden at Woodchippings.  No prizes as to why the cottage is called that!  On a completely different topic, the cottage opposite was the home of Flora Thompson for about 14 years I think.  So here you are some of the lovely snowdrops that caught my eye.  For once they are my snaps ;)
A general view of a small part of the garden.  Everywhere was immaculate and Richard and Valerie must have been worn out getting it all ready!
Chetwode Greentip
Cyclops
The beautiful Fair Maid
Long Leys
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Snowdrop Gala 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Priscilla Bacon
Yarnton

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 01:48:27 PM »
Great 'snaps' Brian.

'Cyclops' has just made me grin - good name.

Nice to see what I missed.  Hope you get to see what you missed too.   ;D
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »
Hello Brian, good to sending you to the GALA ;D. So we all can have a lot of good new impressions.
Far away from the galanthophile centre, I`m very thankful for pics of new cultivars.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 02:07:26 PM »
'Priscilla Bacon' looks fabulous.

Great shots, Brian.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:21:20 PM »
CYCLOPS should have only one eye???
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »

Yes, Hagen, the two spots on the inner segments made me wonder also. Perhaps, this Cyclops was is one of the gifted ones with two eyes?

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 05:48:32 PM »
We arrived at the Gala and I immediately joined the queue to pick up Monksilver orders.  In front of me was a hat I have grown to recognise and it was good to meet Emma T in the flesh, not far in front was ChasW.  It was good to see lots of other forumists and lurkers.  The talk by Richard Hobbs showed a couple of David's pictures of 'Penelope Ann' at Glen Chantry and a mention was given of somebody chipping 'Swanton' (I wonder who that could be 8)).  Ian Christie's talk was also well received and it was great to see some more of the Scottish snowdrops in his pictures.  The room gave a collective 'Ah!' when 'Elizabeth Harrison' appeared.  Joe then spoke about words that snowdroppers use, and in between a lady from Norfolk gave readings from an early 20th century book by Edna Jackson.  Then it was the mad rush to the sports hall as seen on John Grimshaw's blog.  There was not enough time to chat to people as snowdrops were to be found!  Lots of the 'big names' were there, and as David was there under sufferance (although he did say he enjoyed the talks ;)) he took some general shots.  You may see yourselves in them, and I have named one or two too.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »
more...

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »
and more ...

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 06:22:50 PM »
Nice pics of the gala  ;D again nice hat  ::)

We went up to Thenford today, and it is the most amazing garden ( snowdrops were not bad  either ;)  )

We had a three course meal at Thenford and Lord  Heseltine sat at our table to have lunch ;D Really nice man.
Pics to follow when im have had a good nights sleep and recoved from all the driving ive done .

We didnt go on the the other garden today, it was late in the day and the weather was nasty so we decided to head home while it was still light.So if anyone went please post some pics  :)
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »
Ooh good, thankyou Emma.  I will bore everyone in the meantime with the rest of David's pics.  It was unfortunate that the sale was in the Sports Hall and there was no stage for David to climb onto to get a general view of the gathering.  Here are the last couple. We went to Evenley briefly after woodchippings and I'll put a few general shots here, I'm afraid we were tired and, after a cup of tea, came home!

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 06:44:59 PM »
I was going to congratulate you on buying just one bagful Brian. But then recognized THAT BAG. It was only for your Colesbourne plants!  

Seems we all have alot of jpgs of rear-ends.  The sale seems much more civilized than the mayhem and rush on JohnG's site.  That one is not the event for those of us who like to think long and hard about our purchases ( :-X).

johhnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 06:46:25 PM »
Here follow the proper pictures of Woodchippings through the eyes of a non-galanthophile garden lover!  The general views show how immaculate it was all looking.  Richard and Valerie (and Vanessa ;D) must have worked their socks off, and it was much appreciated.  The garden is full of good snowdrops, seedlings and crosses that Richard has done as well as good finds from the surrounding area.  I had to laugh as everytime I commented on a really nice snowdrop Richard said 'Valerie named that one".  To be quite honest I could have gone round three or four times as there were so many delightful snowdrops.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »

I see one white eyeball peeking out.  Or were you thinking brown or blue Hagen?  I don't think brown is so desirable.

johnw
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:48:51 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal