We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rate Your Mail Order Purchases  (Read 7488 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: Rate Your Mail Order Purchases
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2011, 11:41:18 AM »
Thank you for that Rudi,I really feel for you Lesley  >:(
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

meanie

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »
I would recommend Burncoose. Not the cheapest, but always well packaged (which is difficult in the case of a 80cm Sollya). And it was my Sollya that reinforced my faith in them - having ordered the white form it was blue when it bloomed. So off went the email with photos and me thinking "here we go" and they replied "no problem, we'll dispatch the correct one ASAP". The replacement arrived two days later. And as a bonus, when I enquired about returning the wrong one I was told it was there mistake and to keep it by way of an apology.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »
This one would not make you happy but may be a collectors item. Although I understand sharing wives is something done in parts of Asia so it may be okay.

http://www.guandongenterprisesltd.com/
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »
I received my snowdrops from Avon bulbs and really can not praise them enough.TOP MARKS
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »
Avon Bulbs: Three snowdrops arrived today, perfectly packed, in excellent condition and all three with two flowering stems. Other items, polygonatum, nerine and eucomis were in similar good condition and packaging. Enclosed was a personal note to apologise that one item was sold out.

This is no surprise as I have always found this standard of care from Avon Bulbs.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Martinr

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2011, 05:59:59 PM »
This one would not make you happy but may be a collectors item. Although I understand sharing wives is something done in parts of Asia so it may be okay.

http://www.guandongenterprisesltd.com/

Knowing the way Royal marriages go perhaps this company has just beaten the competition to the marketplace :-X

scatigaz

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2011, 06:16:31 PM »
Same here. I ordered 8 snowdrops from avon and pleased with every one. Will be using them again.
gary lee

Gerry Webster

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2011, 08:49:31 PM »
This year, after several years of trials, I've found a site in my garden where Erythronium dens canis actually thrives (the Americans seem to do well anywhere). Consequently I've been looking to buy more forms by mail order & have been horrified by the standard charges for postage & packing made by many nurseries, even for small orders. A minimum order size I can understand as economically necessary but exorbitant charges for p & p? That's simply exploitation.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

meanie

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2011, 10:30:42 PM »
This year, after several years of trials, I've found a site in my garden where Erythronium dens canis actually thrives (the Americans seem to do well anywhere). Consequently I've been looking to buy more forms by mail order & have been horrified by the standard charges for postage & packing made by many nurseries, even for small orders. A minimum order size I can understand as economically necessary but exorbitant charges for p & p? That's simply exploitation.

What makes it even worse is when the morons that are entrusted with our goods loose them!
My (admittedly insured) Habenaria medusae have been lost - whilst my money is safe I can't find a replacement this side of Thailand. Very frustrating....

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2011, 10:23:20 AM »

I agree Gerry.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »
Can anybody recommend somewhere reliable to get Penstemons? I seem to have lost my old favourites over the winter, such as Garnet (Andenken an Friedrich Hahn), Midnight etc.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2011, 10:06:16 PM »
Hi Anne, I received a healthy P. Stapleford Gem from Constantine Garden Nursery and they have several Penstemon in their catalogue  ;)
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 08:54:54 AM »
Thank you, Nicole.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

meanie

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2011, 01:04:32 AM »
Can anybody recommend somewhere reliable to get Penstemons? I seem to have lost my old favourites over the winter, such as Garnet (Andenken an Friedrich Hahn), Midnight etc.

Cotswold Garden Flowers has been recommended to me, but as they're about 40minutes away I'll be taking a drive down there at easter instead. I would happily put some seeds for P.digitalis "Huskers Red" in the post, although this gem of a plant is pretty readily available nowadays.

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »

Cotswold Garden Flowers has been recommended to me, but as they're about 40minutes away I'll be taking a drive down there at easter instead. I would happily put some seeds for P.digitalis "Huskers Red" in the post, although this gem of a plant is pretty readily available nowadays.
It's kind of you to offer, but that is one of the few that came through unscathed.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal