We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2011  (Read 86076 times)

cycnich

• Mister 1000
Re: Galanthus March 2011
« Reply #255 on: March 13, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
Martin
         Your imput is to this forum is not only welcome it is invaluable, on the other hand although you are passionate it is only a hobby, come back soon. Pat
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

steve owen

« Reply #256 on: March 13, 2011, 07:59:30 PM »
A few pics in this afternoon's sunshine;
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

steve owen

« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2011, 08:10:18 PM »
a few more..
Beds/Bucks border

steve owen

« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2011, 08:13:42 PM »
and a few more..
Beds/Bucks border

steve owen

« Reply #259 on: March 13, 2011, 08:15:50 PM »
and finally..
Beds/Bucks border

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #260 on: March 13, 2011, 08:37:22 PM »
Yesterday's Telegraph gardening section had an article by Val Bourne "Celebrating the 'Immortals'" about a lunch hosted by Chris Ireland-Jones of Avon Bulbs for 30 or so people who have snowdrops named after them.  There is a nice photo of 19 of the group including galanthopliles such as Brian Mathew, Ray Cobb, Dorothy Lucking and Carolyn Elwes.  Unfortunately the article doesn't seem to have made it onto the Telegraph's website.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #261 on: March 13, 2011, 08:51:10 PM »
David - lovely photos as usual and really like your 'finds' - very nice markings and puffy flowers.

Steve - Very nice late selection.  Several are ones I have been looking at for a few seasons and it has helped me make my mind up to get them next year if I can ie. Uncle Dick and Fiona Mackenzie.  Many I have never heard of at all.  Whats up with The Whopper!?  Is Jennie Owen one of your snowdrops?  It is very nice.

I really like Alburgh Claw - how bizarre (another like it or hate it one for sure).  Pom Pom and Little Drip are desirable too.

Thanks for the photos Steve - really enjoyed them.  More to add to my ever growing 'wish list'  :)

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #262 on: March 14, 2011, 05:56:09 AM »
Hello Steve, good late collection. Can you tell something about MOTHERING MORN and LITTLE DRIP please (niv elw plic)
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Martina Kopsieker

« Reply #263 on: March 14, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »

Dear John,

Sorry for the delay, was at work the whole weekend, but here comes a pic of the clump. You are right, I think it is some gracilis, but do you know the name?

Martina

275006-0

Martina Kopsieker

« Reply #264 on: March 14, 2011, 09:28:07 AM »
Hello to all,

I just thought I should post some more pics that I took on saturday having a short break from work. It was a mild and sunny weekend here. Everything starts to grow now.
The first photo shows what was sold as Magnet to me, second is Hill Poe, then there is Mrs. Thompson what I really think is a snowdrop that can make you smile- the 4th photo shows what is sold as Primrose Warburg to me( hope it is).The 5th is Gerard Parker, 6th Percy Picton.
7: For spotting:How many Wendy's Gold can be seen in the photo? (little joke) Taken in the foregarden.
8: Visitor! (Galanthus woronowii)

Hope you all have a nice day and enjoyed the photos!

Martina

Martina Kopsieker

« Reply #265 on: March 14, 2011, 09:38:29 AM »

I really like Alburgh Claw - how bizarre (another like it or hate it one for sure).  Pom Pom and Little Drip are desirable too.

Dear Jennie,

seems we have the same taste!!

Steve has a lovely late collection, but these are the three I will also add to my wish list!

Martina

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #266 on: March 14, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »
Steve - A splendid posting of so many new ones to me.

The only one I have is Martha Mclaren which has been a good-doer here over the last 10 years.

Feeling quite out of touch!  Time for another trip over there.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #267 on: March 14, 2011, 03:02:03 PM »
Goodness, David, two wonderful snowdrops. 'Henry's White Lady' is one I don't recall seeing previously. Now, this may be because of poor memory, it must be admitted, but it is a lovely snowdrop and certainly well named; though Henry could have kept out of it.

Your foundling is an excellent snowdrop, great size of outer petals and beautiful texturing, certainly one to be delighted to have found. Beautiful.

Paddy

Thanks for the kind comments, Paddy. Henry's White Lady' was a kind gift and I am glad that the flower does the generosity justice. It really is a lovely flower.

Cheers,
David
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2011, 03:06:31 PM »
David - lovely photos as usual and really like your 'finds' - very nice markings and puffy flowers.

Jennie

Jennie,

Thanks for the complements about the photographs and plants; I'm glad that you like them. Not many more left to post this season as the warm weather really has meant that those flowering have aged dramatically over the last 48 hours. I'll just have to wait until Autumn now and start all over again!

Cheers,
David
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #269 on: March 14, 2011, 03:15:40 PM »
David - nice to see some 'Henrys white lady' flowers - I was sent some as a gift this year and they have flowered with slightly green marks on the inners - after seeing your pics I am looking forward to seeing them next year when the're settled.   8)

Martina - I think that is an interesting snowdrop you have there.  Has it always looked like that or is this year the first?  Do you remember where it came from?  I would like to see it in real life rather than just photos so that my brain could compare it to others I have seen.

Steve - a great selection.  (not sure 'The Whopper' is really true to form   :-\)

but 'Alburgh Claw'...  - wow!   ;D

Canandian John - there is a spare room here for you guys if you make it over in 2012.   8)

Sorry if I have missed any posts - was my birthday yesterday so have been busy all weekend and am trying to catch up/keep on top of posted messages.    ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:53:13 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal