We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 24572 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: March 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2011, 08:58:59 PM »
A random selection from the garden yesterday:

Anemone nemorosa 'Allenii'
Cyclamen pseudibericum
Euphorbia griffithii
'Fireglow'
Helleborus x hybridus
Hyacinthus orientalis
cvs     ghosts of Christmas past :)
Paeonia delavayi
P. mlokosewitschii
Rheum palmatum
'Atrosanguineum'
Rhododendron arboreum
Rhodo. unknown cv
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »
Thanks for the compliments Paddy and Ashley.

Hi Wim is that Trillium albidum it looks very like the onw I have under this name?

Ian,

it's not Trillium albidum. T. albidum is completely white. This is a hybrid, being correctly sold as "Trillium western sessile hybrids white pink base".

According to Case albidum comes in two forms,one pure white to creamy white the other soft pink-rose near petal base particularly in plants from the northern Napa Valley regio, mostly plain white in northern California and Oregon'

I grow both forms thogh I bought one as purple stained throat but they both fit Case's description
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:12:49 PM by johngennard »
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

angie

« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »
Hi Ashley, nice selection of plants from your garden. Your P.miokosewitchii is really ahead of mine. I love this peony. Every year when mine is ready to open it lovely flowers we either get sleet or gale force winds, so let's hope it gets a good year this time. Post some pictures when the flowers open. It would be nice to see how far behind I am.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2011, 09:24:56 PM »
I grow both forms thogh I bought one as purple stained throat but they both fit Case's description

If not albidum, I would suspect chloropetalum rather than sessile.

Diane I love your little bunch above the kitchen sink, a beautiful way to have regular flowrs and definitely making dish washing a pleasanter task. I really like the steins too. :D

Southern gardeners will be very pleased to see all these signs of a floriferous spring, as they travel north for the Conference. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2011, 01:33:52 AM »
The local garden centre has hundreds of potted primroses for less than
$2 each.  The perfume wafted a good distance, drawing shoppers over.

I bought lots of bright red ones with a wide gold margin.  I suppose their
far ancestor may have been a gold-laced.

Then I saw these:  I was appalled, but had to buy them for the parlour show
at VIRAGS. The flowers are 8 cm across. I matched them with some dainty
acaulis and a sign saying
"If you try really hard ....."

They have a plastic picture label, and are called "Hathor".  As you can see,
I was lucky enough to buy both a thrum and a pin, so if anyone wants seeds,
just let me know and I'll do you a custom cross. ;)
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2011, 02:55:48 AM »
Good Lord!!!

I wondered if you liked the Whiteheadia on the Bulbs of South Africa thread Diane? :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2011, 04:01:06 AM »
I got the name a bit wrong.  Not Hathor, but Hethor.

There are lots of pictures here:
   http://www.visionspictures.com/index.php?module=result&searchKey=Hethor

and I see that the red/wide gold-laced one I bought is called Tagetes.
It's not so outrageously big like the yellow one, whose flowers would
look the right size on a magnolia tree.

OK Lesley, I must go over and look at my namesake.  I took lots of photos of
Whiteheadia in South Africa.  Someone has decided to sink the genus
though.  I forget what in.  Most unfair.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:12:33 AM by Diane Whitehead »
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2011, 08:59:52 AM »
Ashley,

I see you have the same habit of planting out the Christmas hyacinths each year after they have finished flowering. Here, they have made substantial clumps in some parts of the garden.

I like the anemone nemerosa, nice shade.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2011, 11:42:38 AM »
Ian, there's an amazing density of flowers on that pulsatilla. Have you it on steroids?

Paddy
Ian, there's an amazing density of flowers on that pulsatilla. Have you it on steroids?

Spectacular, isn't it?  The Trillium is superb too 8)

;D ;D Thanks fellas it always seems to do well
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2011, 11:47:20 AM »

Hi Wim is that Trillium albidum it looks very like the onw I have under this name?

Ian,

it's not Trillium albidum. T. albidum is completely white. This is a hybrid, being correctly sold as "Trillium western sessile hybrids white pink base".

According to Case albidum comes in two forms,one pure white to creamy white the other soft pink-rose near petal base particularly in plants from the northern Napa Valley regio, mostly plain white in northern California and Oregon'

That was my thought too. I think the term sessile is used quite a lot as a generic meaning only the positioning of the flowers rather than the species. I bought a T sessile many years ago now a lovely garden weed which is most likely a form of chloropetalum

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »

Ian,

That was my thought too. I think the term sessile is used quite a lot as a generic meaning only the positioning of the flowers rather than the species. I bought a T sessile many years ago now a lovely garden weed which is most likely a form of chloropetalum

I agree that it is probably a hybrid with chloropetalum genes in it. Maybe the name under which it is sold is confusing but "Trillium western sessile hybrids white pink base" just means that the flower is sessile not that it has T. sessile as a parent. I have the true T. sessile here too but that one is very different from this plant. (Pic here attached (taken in 2009) is true T. sessile). With thanks to John Lonsdale for the correction : This is Trillium recurvatum!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:25:11 PM by WimB »
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »

Ian,

John,

those sound very nice. Do you have a picture of them?
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2011, 03:19:22 PM »

Ian,

I agree that it is probably a hybrid with chloropetalum genes in it. Maybe the name under which it is sold is confusing but "Trillium western sessile hybrids white pink base" just means that the flower is sessile not that it has T. sessile as a parent. I have the true T. sessile here too but that one is very different from this plant. (Pic here attached (taken in 2009) is true T. sessile).

Wim did you get this one from Robin he has produced some wonderful hybrids. I have some seed of western sessile hybrids which has just germinated so fingers crossed

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2011, 03:52:37 PM »

Ian,

I agree that it is probably a hybrid with chloropetalum genes in it. Maybe the name under which it is sold is confusing but "Trillium western sessile hybrids white pink base" just means that the flower is sessile not that it has T. sessile as a parent. I have the true T. sessile here too but that one is very different from this plant. (Pic here attached (taken in 2009) is true T. sessile).

Wim did you get this one from Robin he has produced some wonderful hybrids. I have some seed of western sessile hybrids which has just germinated so fingers crossed

Ian,

I did get them from "Green Mile Nursery'. The Callens family have produced some wonderful hybrids indeed: here's the link to some pictures of their Trilliums: http://www.greenmilenursery.be/photo_trillium.html. I hope you get some hybrids which are just as beautiful as theirs.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »

Ian,

Ian,

I did get them from "Green Mile Nursery'. The Callens family have produced some wonderful hybrids indeed: here's the link to some pictures of their Trilliums: http://www.greenmilenursery.be/photo_trillium.html. I hope you get some hybrids which are just as beautiful as theirs.

Me too  ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal