We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus registration  (Read 14331 times)

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
Galanthus registration
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:07:05 PM »
Edit by maggi: these post about Galanthus registration split off from March 2011 thread.....

(Nice one Melvyn! - referes back to Galanthus March 2011 thread)

Do you know that when you want to have it named and registrated officially, you have to send a good photo and a thorough discription (dimensions flower, leaves etc) to the Dutch KAVB.  More info vanscheepen@kavb.nl

I have to pay 50 euro for each registration but for persons outside our BIG country its FREE!!!!!! Just had 2 new snowdrops registrated this week and had a discussion about this with drs Johan van Scheepen because this looks like discrimination!

I hope now all the Sharmens and Mackenzies and all others have theire snowdrops registrated here at the KAVB. For example i can have EA Bowles officialy registrated here with another name and then mr Sharmen will have to change the name of EA Bowles into another name. For a good order this can happen to all not officially registrated ones!

This has been agreed between the Dutch KAVB and the RHS.So why not registrate over here its FREE!!!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:48:04 PM by Maggi Young »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Galanthus registration
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 06:11:03 PM »
For example i can have EA Bowles registrated here with another name and then mr Sharmen will have to change the name of EA Bowles into another name.

The same as allegedly happened to Geranium Rozanne when it was realeased as Jolly Bee
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gerard Oud

Galanthus registration
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 06:15:20 PM »
Then it has been rereleased.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Galanthus registration
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:02:09 PM »
This has been agreed between the Dutch KAVB and the RHC.

I take it you mean RHS, Royal Horticultural Society?

I cannot help but think this is a bad move because it means anybody can register any one-off without the need to provide evidence of consistency or the fact that there is more than one in existence.  I think a few photographs of different clumps taken over several years should be mandatory.   
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

Galanthus registration
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 07:30:05 PM »
ISHS of course Alan.

If you really want to have it worldwide officialy registrated the only place is the KAVB!
That has been agreed between those 2 organisations, for Narcis and some others bulbs there are other regulations.
For a good order again, i am not going to registrate someone elses snowdrops, but as you see on ebay there might be a clever person who can do certain things.

Just do with this what you want, but dont tell later i have not warned you!

Just a copple of good photos and some documentation/discription and registrate, its free and official!!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:51:22 PM by Gerard Oud »

Gerard Oud

Galanthus registration
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:37:57 PM »
I have to say that if you want to registrate it doesn't mean that it gets registrated! It will be compared with other cultivars/ hybrids etc and if its different from others that are already registrated it will get official registration. I was trying to say that there are many "named" snowdrops that are officialy NOT registrated.
If its really important you can ask for breedersrights or royaltys but this does cost money!

Gerard Oud

Galanthus registration
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »
For information got to the website of the ISHS then got to taxonomy related. Then choose ICRA, search for ICRA by genus, G of Galanthus.
Lots of info on this site!

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Galanthus registration
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »

The same as allegedly happened to Geranium Rozanne when it was realeased as Jolly Bee
Beyond comparison, wrong place!
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Galanthus registration
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 10:49:59 PM »
For information got to the website of the ISHS then got to taxonomy related. Then choose ICRA, search for ICRA by genus, G of Galanthus.
Lots of info on this site!

Although I tried to follow the instructions above, the best I could find was a list of bulb species here http://www.ishs.org/sci/icralist/49.htm .  I could not find a list of registered Galanthus names, although I did find a publication showing recent registrations including Galanthus here http://www.kavb.nl/uploads/registraties%202010%20kl.pdf .  If the KAVB want to be some sort of international plant registrar, they really need to put more effort into creating versions of their web site in languages other than Dutch.
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

Galanthus registration
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 06:22:41 AM »

Although I tried to follow the instructions above, the best I could find was a list of bulb species here http://www.ishs.org/sci/icralist/49.htm .

On this URL you can find the list of bulbspecies that need to be registrated at the KAVB when new found, it shows a address and emailaddress.

Youre right Alan about the website from the KAVB it has a English button but this doesn't cover all, this should be improved!
I will report this to Johan van Scheepen, they cant keep complaining about registration, but have to work on the website too!

But as i mentioned earlier, just some good photos and a thorough discription and "name" send to the KAVB and its safe and official!!!!
Very easy and without any charge of money!

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
Galanthus registration
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 06:27:23 AM »
Thank you Gerard, I´m on the way to KAVB.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Galanthus registration
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 07:38:26 AM »
Youre right Alan about the website from the KAVB it has a English button but this doesn't cover all, this should be improved!
I will report this to Johan van Scheepen, they cant keep complaining about registration, but have to work on the website too!

Thanks Gerard.  The lack of a full English language version of the web site makes it quite difficult for me and I imagine our German-speakers would appreciate a German version also.  Could you please mention to Johan that the link on this page http://www.kavb.nl/index.cfm?act=esite.tonen&pagina=106 that is supposed to lead to "De database Geregistreerde cultivars" doesn't work, or it doesn't work for me.

I'm afraid the overall impression I have of KAVB is of an amateurish organization that cannot manage foreign translations of their web site or indeed to get important links operational.

Moreover, if we look through the small list of Galanthus registrants in 2010  they are:

Kwekerij Ferdinandushof, Overslag.
W.P. Vieveen & T. Koopman, Anna Paulowna.
Fa. Th. J. de Groot & Zn., De Zilk.
Ton Koopman & Wim P. Vieveen, Anna Paulowna.
Gerard Oud, Andijk
Valentin Wijnen, België

It looks to me that everyone is Dutch except Valentin Wijnen who lives in the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium.  And much the same is true for every other genus on the list!  KAVB are self-evidently not the international body they are trying to convince you that they are.
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

Galanthus registration
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:42:29 AM »
They are absolutely not amateurish Alan, but some things could be done better like in every organisation isn't it?
To have a look in the registrated  cultivars you have to be a member of the KAVB i believe.

I think its not commonly known, that when you want to have a new snowdrop registrated you have to go to a Dutch organisation!
Just to avoid problems in the near future with Ebay etc its good to have it registrated and NOT as i see on Gala's to name it yourself and sell it. It gives the buyer/collector the intention its officialy registrated.
Maybe you can give Johan van Scheepen your view of the website too Alan, its vanscheepen@kavb.nl

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Galanthus registration
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 10:45:11 AM »
I'm afraid the overall impression I have of KAVB is of an amateurish organization that cannot manage foreign translations of their web site or indeed to get important links operational.

Rather begs the question of the "professionalism " of the RHS then, doesn't it? Broken links aplenty and no translations at all!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerard Oud

Galanthus registration
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 11:04:05 AM »
That also a problem Maggie. Lots of information about registration about cultivars goes from the KAVB to the UK/RHS, but it takes a long long while before we get a reply!
Translation is a problem in general at the RHS; they all do speak English dont they?( with stiff upperlip)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:32:41 PM by Gerard Oud »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal