We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus registration  (Read 14332 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Galanthus registration
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 06:51:11 PM »
Okay, I've obviously stepped on some toes here and have no intention of continuing and risking making things worse. For the record, I never intended to belittle any other countries' horticultural achievements or importance, I don't consider myself to be very conservative or nationalist, and I was simply interested in how the KAVB registration system for galanthus works - and whether it's normal or reasonable to have a registration system where people have to be fee-paying members of a commercial organisation in order to see what names have been registered and what those plants are like. The mention of the RHS not having ever started a snowdrop register is just something that has always puzzled me. It was not meant to be a high-handed, nationalistic comment.

Tony, Bishop, Davis and Grimshaw in Snowdrops set out the evidence for the arrival of G. nivalis in Britain during the 16th century rather than during the Roman occupation. It's quite lengthy, but as I recall is mainly based on the fact that there's no historical or botanical evidence of G. nivalis having been observed or recorded in Britain prior to the 16th century - nothing in any herbals or oter records. They conclude that the arrival was most likely in the 16th century. Exactly who brought the bulbs is speculation, but I believe from what I've heard and read that religious types returning from trips to Rome are highly likely suspects, especially as white flowers like snowdrops are traditionally associated with purity, virginity, etc.   
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 07:36:52 PM »
Sorry, Tony, I should have said that it's also thought that monks or whatever brought the first G. nivalis bulbs to Britain as large naturalised populations tend to be located around or near religious institutions or former institutions - monasteries etc. At least that's how I understand it.

Wim Snoeijer

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 08:04:52 PM »
There is quite a lot to say about registration, but to start I include a short article I wrote on the subject for the International Clematis Society. It does not matter if it is about Clematis or Galanthus.

Perhaps interesting to read for further information exchange on Galanthus registration specifically.

Best wishes,
Wim   

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 08:05:34 AM »
Dont be too serious Martin! Where is your sense of british humor ;D You absolutely unmistakenly certainly didnot step on MY toes! ;D

I am just teasing you and trying to convince everyone to have theire snowdrops official registrated, to avoid problems in the near future with al kinds of people who have other things in mind then we have!

And for the questions/comments please ask/mail Johan van Scheepen he is always willing to help and a very kind person.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:58:45 AM by Gerard Oud »

Mavers

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »
It's easy to misunderstand each other when we can't see facial expressions & body language, well done for keeping the peace you guys....... ;D
Mike
Somerset, UK

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 03:26:39 PM »
My sense of humour is fine thank you Gerard, but I don't find anything particularly humorous in this thread, nor do I think it's likely to get people flocking to register snowdrop names with KAVB.

Here's a link to the RHS narcissus register, which seems to me to do what it should and appears to be available without charges or fees to anyone, I;d have thought this was a good model for international cultivar registration. But then I'm not experienced in these matters, so maybe I'm wrong.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/plant-science/plant-registration/daffodils

It's in English, but Google Translate will translate it into most languages of course.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:44:08 PM by Martin Baxendale »

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »
I'd be interested to know what the two new snowdrops are that you've registered, Gerard. Can you post the photos of them?

Gerard Oud

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »
It's easy to misunderstand each other when we can't see facial expressions & body language, well done for keeping the peace you guys....... ;D
I felt there was nothing going on Mavers! But i know when i do write this Martin wants to give a reply...... ;D

Gerard Oud

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 04:09:58 PM »

Here's a link to the RHS narcissus register, which seems to me to do what it should and appears to be available without charges or fees to anyone, I;d have thought this was a good model for international cultivar registration. But then I'm not experienced in these matters, so maybe I'm wrong.

That is a very good link Martin! Very clear! I send it to the KAVB as an example how it could be done.

Here are the snowdrops i have registrated, 2 of my own selections!
G. nivalis White Kay semi double with simmetric 4x4 petals or 5x5 petals
G. elwesii/gracilis hybrid Anneke Claasen very nice one with green on the bottom of the petals and a bit of a gracilis marking on the inners.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:31:34 PM by Gerard Oud »

Sean Fox

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 04:19:58 PM »
Hi Gerard,

I don't think a plant has to be registered to be officially named as far as I can remember.
Published names are normally accepted. As long as a detailed description accompanies the name ( and photo ) then that is acceptable. It has to be of course an acceptable publication like a book, journal or even a catalogue. So even if you tried to register EA Bowles under a different name the first published name would take precedence over your new name. This has happened time and time again in the past and the original name is the one that is normally accepted, there are a few exceptions of course.

But I'm pretty sure you knew that already and are maybe on a wind up?
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 04:42:29 PM »

That is a very good link Martin! Very clear! I send it to the KAVB as an example how it could be done.

Here are the snowdrops i have registrated, 2 of my own selections!
G. nivalis White Kay semi double with simmetric 4x4 petals or 5x5 petals
G. elwesii/gracilis hybrid Anneke Claasen very nice one with green on the bottom of the petals and a bit of a gracilis marking on the inners.

Are these your own new seedlings that you've just selected, Gerard?

Gerard Oud

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 04:42:43 PM »
A name is easier accepted when the plant has been discribed in certain literature before thats true Sean but its not official.
The only way to get it official is registrating, and why bother its for you guys without any charge!!!
Its a small payment i have to do but otherwise i would immigrate ;D

Gerard Oud

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 04:44:25 PM »
Only Anneke Claasen, White Kay is a steady mutation!

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 04:46:50 PM »
Only Anneke Claasen, White Kay is a steady mutation!

Sorry, what I meant to ask was have you just selected these this year and are these the only bulbs you have of them?

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »
Gerard, you may have missed my question. I was asking if these two registered snowdrops are recent selections and if these one or two bulbs of each are all you have yet?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal