We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus registration  (Read 14333 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus registration
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »
"Galanthus nivalis ‘Tippy Green’
Edibulbcode: 81298
Registrant: Gerard Oud, Andijk.
KAVB REGISTRATIES2 december 2010 • Bijlage BLOEMBOLLENVISIE • 7
Samenvatting: wit 155D met lichtgroen N144D.
Winner: Gerard Oud, Andijk."

Did you forget 'Tippy Green', Gerard?
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 07:10:53 AM »
No i have not Alan, but i had this one registrated 4 years ago. I gave them 30 bulbs for planting them in the observation garden( only for Dutch growers) They stay there for 2 years and after those 2 years When it has beenn stabile its definitively registrated( only for Dutch growers)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:23:34 AM by Gerard Oud »

Gerard Oud

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 07:19:03 AM »
Gerard, you may have missed my question. I was asking if these two registered snowdrops are recent selections and if these one or two bulbs of each are all you have yet?
I was offline last night, was playing badminton like every wednesday and thursday.
I have selected White Kay i think 7 years ago and have a small number of it now.
Anneke Claasen did flower 3 years ago for the first time and i have 5 bulbs inclusive offset.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 07:26:01 AM »
'Tippy Green' is in the 2010 list of registrations, which made me think it was a new one. 

I have noticed it on sale on eBay but the accompanying photograph was of a large clump of flowers in bud.  Likewise the photograph here http://www.sneeuwklokjes.info/pics/DSC00503.html is over-exposed (a problem I myself often suffer from when photographing snowdrops).  So I was hoping you would take the opportunity to show us a good-quality photograph of it, Gerard, and maybe say something about it. 
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2011, 07:42:19 AM »
Its a small welldoing nivalis with small green stripes on the outers. I did sell them on ebay and give them some times as an extra for customers or visitors.
I have plenty so if you want to do a online order Alan ;D

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2011, 07:43:35 AM »
I have selected White Kay i think 7 years ago and have a small number of it now.
Anneke Claasen did flower 3 years ago for the first time and i have 5 bulbs inclusive offset.

New snowdrops can be frustratingly slow to bulk up.  But if I were the Registration Authority I would demand evidence of a minimum number of bulbs and I would probably make that minimum number around 50.  The reason I would do this is to try to guard against the possibility that a registered plant may fail to survive in the short term.  As Steve Owen is want to complain, too many named snowdrops are unobtainable and, I suspect, may not even exist any longer.

I was approached to enter the virescent elwesii I found a few years ago into the next edition of The Book but I turned down the opportunity because it only exists as 8 non-flowering bulbils at present.  I don't think it would be right to record this snowdrop until I am sure there are enough bulbs around that it should not die out.  In my case I would want those bulbs to be spread over several different locations, but I recognise that a commercial grower may not be able to do this.         
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2011, 07:52:13 AM »
I have plenty so if you want to do a online order Alan ;D

I do rather like green-marked snowdrops and I'm all in favour of vigorous ones, so I'm quite tempted, Gerard.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2011, 08:09:55 AM »
Could you please mention to Johan that the link on this page http://www.kavb.nl/index.cfm?act=esite.tonen&pagina=106 that is supposed to lead to "De database Geregistreerde cultivars" doesn't work, or it doesn't work for me.

I have checked that link again and it is now working, which means you can now view the database of registered Galanthus cultivars.  And by you, I mean anybody, the suggestion made earlier that the database might only be open to KAVB members was evidently a mistake.

The list includes about 60 cultivars in alphabetical order, from Anglesey Abbey to Yamanlar.  The only one on the list attributed to Gerard is "Tippy Green"; "White Kay" and "Anneke Claasen" are not listed.

This link http://kavb.back2p.soft-orange.com/kavb/kavbSG.nsf/plants-registered?OpenView&Start=1&Count=18&Expand=1&RestrictToCategory=-G-#1 should take you directly to the Galanthus section of the list.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:13:58 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2011, 08:28:55 AM »
They have not had time to put the last  ones on the list yet Alan. If you were the manager and i had EA Bowles to registrate, simple calculation 50x 120 GBP = 6000 GBP for a registration :o :o

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2011, 09:09:40 AM »
They have not had time to put the last  ones on the list yet Alan. If you were the manager and i had EA Bowles to registrate, simple calculation 50x 120 GBP = 6000 GBP for a registration :o :o

Sorry Gerard, I think you misunderstood me.  I'm not saying you should supply 50 bulbs to the Registrar, I'm saying you should make a statement to the Registrar that 50 bulbs exist.  I think a requirement to supply any bulbs goes beyond what should be needed for registration.

You mentioned E.A. Bowles and before this was ever on sale, a big pot was displayed at an RHS show in London.  So a Registrar would know that there are at least enough bulbs of that snowdrop in existence to fill a large pot!   
Almost in Scotland.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2011, 09:15:38 AM »
I have followed Alan's link above to the list of registered snowdrops and my attention was drawn to G. 'Brenda Troyle'. This is an old Irish cultivar; its origins are vague, even unknown, and I wondered who registered it - or even why?

I also notice that among the registrants are Henry Elwes, James Allen and the Rev. Blakeway Phillips. Surely, they didn't register their snowdrops on this site!

Paddy
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:18:57 AM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »

....I also notice that among the registrants are Henry Elwes, James Allen and the Rev. Blakeway Phillips. Surely, they didn't register their snowdrops on this site!

Paddy

Only needs E A Bowles and they could play Bridge ;D Might be somewhat more satisfying than registering Snowdrops!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2011, 10:41:22 AM »
I also notice that among the registrants are Henry Elwes, James Allen and the Rev. Blakeway Phillips. Surely, they didn't register their snowdrops on this site!

Well James Allen registered his snowdrop on 12/31/1891 so he was well ahead of his time!

Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2011, 12:01:24 PM »
I must look properly, but are there no photographs?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »
... but are there no photographs?

Not that I can find, Brian; nor descriptions either.  But you can look to see if your intended name has been taken.  "Magnet", for example is still free.  I'd get in there quick before somebody else thinks of that one.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:38:47 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal