We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2011  (Read 17853 times)

Knud

Re: Trillium 2011
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2011, 10:53:45 PM »
Very nice leaf pattern on your trillium, John, and I enjoyed the crocus pictures you posted in the crocus thread. Your crocuses are about a month behind our garden, but your trilliums seem to be at the same stage as most of ours. Is your spring relatively short and intense, after a long and cold winter?

About ten years ago we were given a potful of trillium seedlings that friends had found in their garden, among a stand of Trillium erectum, I think. The first started blooming three-four years ago, and each year new ones start. I have not been able to identify this trillium (suggestions welcome), but assume it is a hybrid, most likely with erectum as seed parent. The entire plant, apart from the flower, has a very nice dark olive-green colour. The flower petals are slightly pink on the outside, but white inside. This year I noticed that one of the plants had four leaves, four petals, and eight stamens, see picture two.

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2011, 01:15:33 AM »
Has the look of Trillium pusillum Knud

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2011, 01:51:10 AM »
Very nice leaf pattern on your trillium, John, and I enjoyed the crocus pictures you posted in the crocus thread. Your crocuses are about a month behind our garden, but your trilliums seem to be at the same stage as most of ours. Is your spring relatively short and intense, after a long and cold winter?
Knud

Knud - Your Trillium is simply spectacular.  I have never seen such dark foliage.

The Crocus have lasted a very long time as they came out about the first day of Spring and despite a bit of wind damage may last another week.  Very strange the Trillium is at the same stage as yours, it's cuneatum. T. albidum sometimes peeks up in the autumn and yet comes through the winter unscathed, only a couple of those are up at this point. Because of the North Atlantic Current our Springs are very cool and slow, as long as a freak snow doesn't flatten things bloom lasts a very long time provided March rains take the frost out of the ground quickly.  Sometimes the ground can stay frozen into April though as highs are usually in the single digits until May  And then the fog (close to 120 days/year) helps things last, Narcissus leaves last well into July. The Hellebores are slow this year, as you can see they are just opening fully now, a few weeks later than usual and the same for V. 'Dawn'.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »
Knud, a really super trillium.... T. pusillum of some sort.... VERY nice!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »
Some Trilliums flowering here during the last week:

Trillium erectum
Trillium luteum
Trillium sulcatum
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2011, 08:03:32 AM »
Susan I send the beautiful white/red Trillium to you for 3 years ago. It is a eretum hybrid and it came from a garden here in Denmark, it is a strong and well growing plant and I have several of them in my garden.
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2011, 05:43:46 PM »
Hi Karl, I Knew that someone would recognise it, it is so distinctive. Thanks very much, as you can see it is doing really well. It did flower last year also and now I hope it is going to bulk up. Has it been named? Thanks again.
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

christian pfalz

• Journal Access Group
  • mediterranean alpines, greece, turkey, iran
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2011, 07:59:10 PM »
today in bloom, trillium sulcatum and trillium luteum....

cheers
chris
Rheinland-Pfalz south-west Germany, hot and relatively dry

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2011, 08:00:45 PM »
I want to post a couple pictures of Trillium simile in habitat somewhere in the Smoky Mountains.  These were taken on our field trip on April 17, 2010.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

christian pfalz

• Journal Access Group
  • mediterranean alpines, greece, turkey, iran
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2011, 08:08:57 PM »
jim, fantastic pictures from the habitat...
cheers
chris
Rheinland-Pfalz south-west Germany, hot and relatively dry

Knud

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2011, 08:19:12 PM »
Thank you, Dave and Maggi, for help in identifying the trillium. They are nice plants, and all appear to be identical or at least very similar.  It is, however, a very dense stand and I have to split them, - is the best time to do this just as they wilt and go dormant?

John, by the sound of it your spring is not very different from ours, which I like as it keeps things blooming for a long time. We only get about 12 days of fog per year, but we compensate by what feels like at least 108 days of rain. We too had a late start to spring, but a warm April has more than caught up the slow start. All our trilliums have now appeared, grandiflorum, last as usual, is about 1 cm out of the ground today.

Knud

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2011, 07:03:28 AM »
Susan is a self sown seedling and it has no name. It grows easily and quickly becomes to a clump. I have divided it several times and it takes no damage of it. This year I have flowers in a chloropetalum? who is self sown seedling in my garden it is also two-colored. Many of my Trillium sown them self in my garden e.g. grandiflorum, erectum, chropetalum, kurabayashii and around a no-named, maybe angustipetalum there are several hundred seedlings. I grow Trillium in a mixture of mould, peat and humus (old leaves)
Last year I got a Trillium sp. do not get flowers but leaves. It is also the first time I have flowers in Trillium chloropetalum 'Volcano' which I got from New Zealand several years ago. It is also the first time I see flowers in Trillium albidum Cherry Base as I got in Scotland last summer.
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2011, 09:47:33 AM »
Thank you, Dave and Maggi, for help in identifying the trillium. They are nice plants, and all appear to be identical or at least very similar.  It is, however, a very dense stand and I have to split them, - is the best time to do this just as they wilt and go dormant?

Knud

Knud
The accepted time is to divide late summer /early autumn, however in my experience i have divided clumps and potted up offshoots as late as May here without losses.Some individuals sulk for a season,(put up a leaf 4/5 months later but no bloom) ,while others 'don't turn a hair ' and flower as normal.

The following link shows an example of a division of the double white --T. grandiflorum forma flore pleno made a week ago .
http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=631.15

Nice Trillium pics Karl and others.

Interestingly today i found a seed pot of T.chloro 'Volcano' ( NZTG seedex sown july 2010), just germinating.
I understand from postings on Trillium L the seedlings may not come true and that there will probably be a number of colour variations....some of them quite yummy.....

Cheers Dave.  
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:51:15 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Knud

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2011, 11:02:22 PM »
Thank you, Dave, for advice, and for a useful example of trillium division. I will return to it in August/September, when it will be time to divide. I have included a picture of the patch of T. pusillum taken a few days ago. The leaves have paled a little to a more green olive, but are still quite dark.
Knud

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »
I wonder who accepted that time? Is it based on experience on Trilliums o??
Best results for transplanting and dividing trillium is when the flowers start to fade.
The new roots start to emerge then and it is more important not to disturb the new roots than to preserve the greeen parts at that time.
I have learnt this the hard way; dividing T grandiflorum at various stages and it seems to work the same for all species that I have tried.
The sulking seems to be connected with the disturbance of the young roots. I have killed several by dividing too late in the year.
Several members of the Trillium list say the same as I do.
By the way. The same holds true for Lilium martagon and its allies.
Of course a potted plant can be put into the garden any time if it is done with care.
Have a nice weekend
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal