We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus reginae-olgae  (Read 55303 times)

Melvyn Jope

Re: Galanthus reginae-olgae
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2009, 06:40:36 PM »
With anemos being Greek for wind presumably wind flower could apply to Anemone  pavonina or A. nemerosa?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2009, 06:47:15 PM »
I thought it was the group called Japanese anemones that were 'wind flowers'??
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2009, 12:23:06 AM »
David,

Me too.  The Anemone hupehensis (I think that is the right species name) types.

To at least briefly mention Galanthus reginae-olgae..... they're still in flower here along with the last of the G. peshmenii.  So cool to still see them there a month after they started.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2009, 08:05:48 AM »
Paul , my G. peshmenii and reginae-olgae [ex Munich Bot. Garden] are still in full bloom in
my garden , but reginae-olgae 'Cambridge' is only just now pushing throughthe ground ,
 so prolonging the season .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2009, 08:55:04 AM »
Otto,

I think I got that one from Marcus this year... no sign of it above ground as yet.  Very pleased to report that my first ever deliberately sown Galanthus seed (G. regaine-olgae ex Sicily) from 2004 have buds appearing.  I only discovered them today, just peeping above the ground.  If they stay at this timing in relation to the others I have, that will also give a nice lengthening of the season for them.  Very, very chuffed to finally have a Galanthus from sown seed.  I even photographed them today, for posterity!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »
The Galanthus reginae-olgae are still in flower here at the moment.  Attached is a pic.  Also a pic of one of the buds on my pot of seedlings.  I've also realised since then on checking my records that the seed actually came from one of our SRGC contributors (via a seedex), but before I knew him here.  Small world eh?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2009, 11:35:26 PM »
Full of promise Paul. I just have reginae-olgae out at present but up are the bulbs I bought last spring (day before I went to Australia), of G. elwesii 'Emerald' (as it is grown by Denis Hughes at Blue Mountain Nursery) or 'Hughes' Emerald' as Susan and I know it or 'Emerald Hughes' as apparently it is known in the UK. whatever, it is a large and robust form originating in the Blue Mountain nursery. I bought 3 bulbs for $20 each (ouch) but each of the 3 pots, when I planted them out in February, had 7!!! bulbs in it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2009, 11:47:05 PM »
Well that makes them MUCH more reasonable, doesn't it.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2009, 03:25:05 PM »
Tidying up a cold frame this afternoon I was very surprised to see the first Galanthus reginae-olgae in flower, this one had self sown in a pot of Erythronium which I have not repotted for some time.
 Not a particularly elegant flower but nevertheless a very welcome arrival.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »
I have my first about to open in the greenhouse.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2009, 05:43:50 AM »
Nothing showing above ground here yet - but this year they will have a fighting chance as I have actually remembered to move the potted palm that sits in the spot during the summer!  ::)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:45:25 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2009, 10:16:18 AM »
Mine will be late this year - they're all still in plastic bags waiting to be re-potted or planted out (along with a few thousand other snowdrops, crocus, etc)   :(
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2009, 10:50:37 AM »
Mine will be late this year - they're all still in plastic bags waiting to be re-potted or planted out (along with a few thousand other snowdrops, crocus, etc)   :(
Martin
I thought plastic bags could result in bulb losses and have preferred to use paper bags. 
Sympathise with your repotting state - I still have Crocus and others to do.  Snowdrops were a priority this year - none showing so far.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2009, 11:10:57 AM »
I have them in plastic bags with plenty of bone-dry fine composted bark, which absorbs any surplus moisture and keeps them perfectly dry. The bark does need to be very, very dry though. Also they are mostly seedlings and small bulbs from chipping, so don't give off a lot of moisture. Must get on with repotting and planting out, though.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

michael broadhurst

« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2009, 09:30:16 PM »
Hello everybody
I'm new to this forum but people might like to know that we have had G. reginae-olgae in flower for about a week in our Suffolk garden. They seem a bit earlier than normal. Many have small green lines on the outer petals, about one third up from the apex. I have not seen this before.
I grew the bulbs from seed a few years ago. Would post a picture but haven't worked out how to do this yet.
The first G elwesii are also just showing. One flowered on 30th September last year so these may be a bit later this year!
We have not had rain for weeks and the soil is dry and cracked but it has been warm. What controls the exact flowering time seems a bit of a mystery

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal