We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 6486 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
April 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:34:34 PM »
Howdy All,

I'm back!!  I haven't visited in over 3 weeks, just been too busy.  I'm preparing some photos at the moment and will post some here shortly I hope.  I'll include pics I've taken in the last week or so as long as they're still in flower today at the commencement of April.  I've also got heaps of pics from March which I'll post in the March topic.

Even more amazingly, I didn't even turn my computer on for a week.  I have been having withdrawal symptoms from these forums.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: April 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 12:37:37 AM »
Welcome back Paul. I know about busy. I've sown over 400 pots of seed this last week. Today is cold so I'm catching up with the dishes on the bench. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:24:16 AM »
Welcome back Paul. I know about busy. I've sown over 400 pots of seed this last week. Today is cold so I'm catching up with the dishes on the bench. :D
What do you sow in dishes? ???  ;D

Sternbergia sicula is looking nice at the moment,
280557-0

280559-1

The first autumn crocus are finally out!
Crocus speciosus "Albus"
280561-2

280563-3

Crocus kotchyanus
280565-4

cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 02:27:27 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:30:06 AM »
Mould if they wait much longer. :o
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 12:29:43 PM »
OK, finally some of the pics I promised.

For starters....

Cyclamen rohlfsianum is blooming very well for me this year.  Nothing like some of the wonderful pics I've seen here on the forums where people are growing them in glasshouses etc, but I don't think I'm doing too bad for out on my back non-covered verandah.  This one has 9 flowers on it this year, with 2 others sending up flowers as well.  Cross pollinating has already been undertaken.  ;D

Biarum ochridense

This is a Crocus banaticus that originated from Otto.  Thanks Otto!!  8)

Arisarum vulgare has commenced it's little hooded gems.  It wanders about a bit, and I never get a good clump flowering but rather just the odd flower here and there.  I still love it though.  ;D

Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 12:35:56 PM »
One of the Amaryllis belladonna varieties I have flowering at present.

Euonymus alata 'Compacta' has never set seed like this before.  Obviously the extra rain we've had has been ideal for fruit set.  They look brilliant!!  Such a great surprise to find them there the other day.

A red Gallardia.

One of the Sternbergia lutea that are flowering now.  I only ever get a few flowers, while a neighbour has them flowering en mass every year next to their driveway.  ::)  I wish. :-\
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:38:54 PM »
And lastly for tonight....

Not exactly flowering now, but a couple of images of a wind farm in the distance, about a half hour north of here.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
I very much like wind farms and there was an open day at the new Lake Mahinerangi wind farm near Dunedin yesterday. It's fully commissioned now. Unfortunately I couldn't go as I had to work.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »
Lesley,

Yeah, it's frustrating working weekends.  So many things you can't attend!  ::)  That's the one thing I don't like about working every weekend...... otherwise it is just another day and doesn't bother me at all.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:54:16 AM »
Good to have you back posting Paul.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »
Thanks David.  It's good to BE back posting.  ;D

As it is, I've only managed to catch up with maybe 10 topics so far, so I've missed lots and lots.  As I prepare more pics to post I'll probably wander further afield finding places to post them, or sticking my nose in here and there where it isn't wanted.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 11:13:28 PM »
There should be heaps happening at present in the southern hemisphere but not a post since April 4th. With Otto and Fermi away, things may be sparse for a while yet.

Today, the 12th, is the day that Roger officially becomes an OAP!

Apart from that, I thought I would show my saffron crop, all two flowers of it. There will be a couple more but not soon enough to photograph with these two. More flowers than I've ever had before, perhaps due to deeper planting (15cms) or to the very damp summer we've had. As you see, I've done some weeding between the two pics. The weeds weren't there a week ago, but it's been wet and cold then wet and warm the last few days so up they come in double quick time.

Crocus sativus x 2
284956-0

284958-1

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:18:30 PM by Lesley Cox »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 11:26:33 PM »
It's a great autumn for colour this year, again, perhaps, because of the damp summer. These three are Sorbus reducta, Acer rubrum which I have as 'Columnare' and Rhus typhina. I was thrilled to find this in a garden centre last weekend as I've wanted it for years and as I have plenty space, was looking forward to it suckering all over the place. Wasn't until I got it home that I realized it has been grafted on a standard of something else, expressly to STOP it suckering. It will still be gorgeous but just singly. These reds are as red as my car!

284962-0

284964-1

284966-2

284968-3

Ezeiza

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 11:57:51 PM »
Lesley, I have grown saffron for over twenty years and it likes this climate very much. Corms that are in a raised bed in gritty soil bury themselves deeply, some 30,some 40 cm. deep. These make huge corms. Corms planted at "normal" deep will not flower until they go really deep. Flowering is during this month.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 01:04:08 AM »
Lesley - Yours autumn colours are as good as you ever see in the northeast of North America in a great year. Well done.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal