We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus break  (Read 2908 times)

scatigaz

Galanthus break
« on: April 07, 2011, 10:10:23 PM »
The snowdrop season is over in the uk or almost over. Do people wish there were snowdrops in flower all year round or is it better to have a break and look forward to the first snowdrops of the autumn? Personally i think it is better to have that break. Just wondered about other peoples thoughts on the subject.
gary lee

Paddy Tobin

Re: Galanthus break
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:11:56 PM »
Gary,

Without the break we would not have the enjoyment of their return each year.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:13:24 PM »
Have to have a break Gary to fit in the lifting, dividing and swapping in.  Besides which there are other things in the garden  (said very quietly)  ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
I'm very happy that snowdrops fade away while Narcissus come up and they in turn fade away as tulips come.

I just wish it wasnt so warm because spring bulbs are not lasting long
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

scatigaz

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:27:23 PM »
I totally agree. Something to look forward to. I wish it was a little cooler as the narcissus are coming and going too quickly. tulips are now abundant but wont last too long in this warm weather. I think most people will welcome the break but at the same time wanting to extend the snowdrop season at both ends.
gary lee

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 10:50:53 PM »
With the 'drop season getting under way in Canada and Russia I find the Forum is a delight for extending the season... then the Australians and New Zealanders will begin...  in fact with the Forum I find the seasons just roll around beautifully for all the plants... if we haven't got them  in flower ourselves we can enjoy them in someone elses' garden on the other side of the world.... it's great, I think, to have this extra dimension to our own  plants.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 07:24:38 AM »
I find that snowdrops don't present themselves well when contrasted against other showier bulbs like daffodils.  I think a snowdrop flowering in my garden now would just look lost.  Perhaps that's also why the rather similar but later-flowering snowflake doesn't enjoy anything like the same popularity that the snowdrop does.  The particular charm of snowdrops, reflected in much of the poetry about them, is their hardiness against the worst of the winter weather and the fact that they are one of the first heralds of spring. 

That said, I find any autumn-flowering bulb to be a plus because it is nice to have something new and fresh appearing when most else is fading away.  And as a galanthophile, I would be happy to have more snowdrops that flower in November and December to whet my appetite for the main season.       
Almost in Scotland.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 10:00:04 AM »
The particular charm of snowdrops, reflected in much of the poetry about them, is their hardiness against the worst of the winter weather and the fact that they are one of the first heralds of spring. 

that pretty much sums up my feelings, I really don't enjoy the run up to xmas but the first drops always cheer me up & I would miss that if they were present all year.

I do have autumn plants but they really aren't the same  ;)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:49:30 AM »
With the 'drop season getting under way in Canada and Russia I find the Forum is a delight for extending the season... then the Australians and New Zealanders will begin...  

The autumn 'drops were out when we returned home from Europe and now Galanthus elwesii is starting
301542-0

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 08:59:38 AM »
Great, I have just started re-potting so it is good to have something to spur me on!

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »
Yes Brian, the silence between the two seasons every year is good. Now it is time to repotting or twinscaling. I did it last weekend too. And had a big smile on my lips when I counted the daughterbulbs.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 05:02:08 PM »
Yes Brian, the silence between the two seasons every year is good. Now it is time to repotting or twinscaling. I did it last weekend too. And had a big smile on my lips when I counted the daughterbulbs.
What a pleasant way to spend the weekend and to have the reward of the daughterbulbs too ;D ;D

Mavers

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »
I love seeing the healthy fat bulbs too Hagen & Brian as I knock the snowdrops I bought this year at galanthus events out of their pots to plant in the garden.......& daughter bulbs are a real bonus!
Mike
Somerset, UK

Sean Fox

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »
I love seeing the healthy fat bulbs too Hagen & Brian as I knock the snowdrops I bought this year at galanthus events out of their pots to plant in the garden.......& daughter bulbs are a real bonus!

I'm not sure what to do with my aquired potted bulbs. Do I leave them until in growth and plant them out where I can see how they'll fit in or plant now while dormant? What's the best way?
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 06:18:26 PM »
Personally I would prefer to plant them out now so there is no chance of damaging the roots, of course you do need to know what you are putting where.  Some of the best sites with photos to remind you what your plants look like in flower are
http://www.judyssnowdrops.co.uk/index.html
http://www.snowdropinfo.com/
http://www.galanthus-online.de/index.html
http://www.engelmannii.de/galanthus.htm

Hope that helps

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal