We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris and some Irids 2009  (Read 36134 times)

arillady

Re: Iris and some Irids 2009
« Reply #390 on: October 15, 2009, 12:32:14 PM »
I have a few clumps which I would have to check the species in the morning as they are part of the scenery nowadays. The ones I have are about a foot to 18" high. Tough as nails too.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #391 on: October 15, 2009, 10:27:30 PM »
Pat,

That's what I love about the spurias, although they do seem to prefer a bit of water don't they?  I know they'll grow happily in bog conditions, but have had them growing in quite dry normal garden conditions as well.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #392 on: October 15, 2009, 11:31:44 PM »
Are any thugs Pat? I haven't found that though I haven't had well established clumps for long at a time. Paul they like some water while actively growing, before blooming but they will also take extreme drought when established. The roots can grow very long and some have been recorded at over 20 ft deep. Iris lactea (not a spuria) has been recorded at 30 ft, the roots still present when wells were sunk to that depth.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #393 on: October 16, 2009, 01:12:55 AM »
Lesley,

Some of them can spread pretty healthily.  I had 6 of them at my old place, and I am hoping that I have pieces of them in pots here. I tried to dig bits from what was each clump when my sister sold her place a few years ago, but they had all well and truly grown together so I don't know whether I was successful.  My favourite that I had was Mahogany Lord, which was a wonderful chocolate mahogany colour with yellow signals.  It ended up at least 2m wide as it spread so well.  I am hoping that at least one of the ones in my pots is that one, as it was the one I really wanted to keep.  I must find somewhere to plant them, but the space is the problem. ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #394 on: October 16, 2009, 06:28:18 AM »
I guess that explains it, you're talking tall hybrids whereas I have mostly only species, and shorter ones at that.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #395 on: October 16, 2009, 06:31:58 AM »
Lesley,

My experiences with species were ochroleuca and crocea (I think?), both of which were as tall as the hybrids.  That's why I didn't realise there were shorter ones.  I'll definitely have to try to source some, as I love the spurias but am concerned about the space (which is why I still have them in pots). ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #396 on: October 16, 2009, 06:55:01 AM »
Try some of these Paul, most available from SRGC and AGS seed lists if you can't souce the plants, and they germinate well. Graminea (scented of greengages, yum yum), sintenisii, kerneriana, maritima, musulmanica, carthaliniae and Fermi's halophila. Some of these are listed in Mathew as subspecies of spuria itself but all are distinct and shorter plants, very beautiful and in a variety of colours and forms. Kerneriana is a butter yellow and has twisted, spidery petals, one of my favourites. Brandzae is listed by Mathew as a ssp of sintenisii and says it doesn't seem worth cultivating, though he hadn't seen living material. My mother grew this many years ago and it was about 40cms high and extraordinarily slim, with fine, elegant flowers in violet and blue. I though it was very beautiful and I'm hoping the plant I currently have as brandzae, turns out to be the same, when it flowers.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #397 on: October 16, 2009, 09:21:41 AM »
Thanks Lesley,

I currently have graminea coming along from seed (but to be honest didn't realise it was a spuria), and have grown sintensii in the past (also didn't know it was a spuria).  I had quite a few species some years ago, but lost over time as so often happens.  ::)  The sintensii was a rather nice little plant from memory.  I might have to see about finding some of these again.  Thanks for the info. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #398 on: October 17, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »
If memory serves me right, in the past both sintenisii and graminea have been listed as in no group especially, but on their own. However Mathew (The Iris) lists both as spurias. Who am I to argue? :)

arillady

« Reply #399 on: October 17, 2009, 11:35:23 PM »
I. graminea is one that I have tried a few times and have not got past seedling stage. I. sintenisii needs a cool root run too.
As Paul has said some of the taller ones can grow very wide in thick clumps - losing the centre as they circle out.
I think of ochroleuca as a medium size Paul - well the ones I grow here are. I. crocea is very tall. I like the SIGNA and BIS lists as they have them listed in order of size usually. Paul I will send you some of my smaller ones when I check the best time to dig and post.
There was a publication The Illustrated Checklist of Spuria Irises compiled by Robert Pries for the Spuria Society a Section of the American Iris Society 2005. NOt sure if it is still available through Robert. I could check. Photos throughout but a heavy ringbound publication. US A4 size. Mahogany Lord is a 1993 Blyth creation. The best source for spurias (named) in Australia I think is Coleen at Impressive Irises - but they are trying to sell the business as they are moving.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arilnut

« Reply #400 on: October 18, 2009, 12:12:24 AM »
Hello. I have checked and the Spuria checklist is not available at all.

John
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #401 on: October 23, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »
Just a note to suggest that you might enjoy seeing this page:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4382.msg116659#msg116659
.... to see some wonderful scenery and flowers in  the grasslands of Brasil. 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #402 on: November 02, 2009, 08:36:48 AM »
Hi Folks, I mentioned before, that I am really getting interested in the Irises, but hate when people give/swap me bulbs or rhizomes with no names.
Could someone please identify these irises? Thanks, Bill
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #403 on: November 02, 2009, 10:47:25 AM »
Bill,

They both look like they could be forms of foetidissima I think.  Are they both evergreen, shiny green leaves, grow in either shade or sun?  I have one that is I think a blend of the two, although closer to the yellow than the mauve in colour, which is why I am thinking they may both be forms.  The first one I'm more confident with than the second one, as the second one seems to have thinner leaves.  I quite like the colour of both of them.  Very nice.

Anyway, there be experts here who will be far more confident in ID than me.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #404 on: November 02, 2009, 07:13:51 PM »
Yes, both forms of I. foetidissima. The seeds are highly poisonour so keep children away from them. The poisons centre in Dunedin say they have more enquiries about this plant than any other.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal