We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris and some Irids 2010  (Read 40575 times)

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2010, 07:12:12 PM »
I have not done a test to see what happens if you only do one standard. You probably only have seed in that third of the pod. Anyone know for sure???

Pat,
If you place pollen on one stigma it is enough for creating a pod full with seeds. There are two more stigmas in the flower in order to increase the chances for pollination\fertilization in nature.There is no need to place pollen on 3 sides (3 stigmas). However, you can place on 2 stigmas to be completely sure.
Rehovot, Israel

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2010, 07:51:32 PM »
I have not done a test to see what happens if you only do one standard. You probably only have seed in that third of the pod. Anyone know for sure???

Pat,
If you place pollen on one stigma it is enough for creating a pod full with seeds. There are two more stigmas in the flower in order to increase the chances for pollination\fertilization in nature.There is no need to place pollen on 3 sides (3 stigmas). However, you can place on 2 stigmas to be completely sure.

Oh, Miriam, you have stopped all my thoughts of promiscuous fun with some Iris next spring!  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2010, 10:02:51 PM »
Well you could put three different pollens on the 3 lips and hope for the best. There surely would be a CHANCE of 3 different batches of seed. It would be a race to the finish line to see which pollen turned out to be dominant. ;D

A (late and unattached) friend always said he wasn't interested in sex per se, there was plenty in the garden to keep him occupied. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »
Kees just get some tweezers and grab a stamen and then hold a standard between thumb and forefinger of other hand and there should be a bit of a lip just down from the outer edge of the standard. Wipe the stamen - if it has pollen - against the lip on each standard. I have not done a test to see what happens if you only do one standard. You probably only have seed in that third of the pod. Anyone know for sure???

Sorry to go on about this, but it is not the STANDARD that has the stigmatic lip (stigma) attached but the style arm. (See above) Putting pollen on the standard will produce nothing but a messy standard. I know that Pat knows this, so just a slight (far from) senior moment. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arillady

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2010, 10:59:44 PM »
Yes yes yes a very senior moment.  ::) :P :-[ :-X
I should have looked up a diagram before replying - when I don't I sometimes do make stupid mistakes.
Thanks all for correcting my posting.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Kees Green

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #230 on: June 28, 2010, 08:42:26 AM »
Thanks for the advise, I will do my best and advise of the outcomes.
That picture really helps Maggi.
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2010, 09:24:24 AM »
Yes yes yes a very senior moment.  ::) :P :-[ :-X
I should have looked up a diagram before replying - when I don't I sometimes do make stupid mistakes.
Thanks all for correcting my posting.
Ian and I are in the same boat, Pat! I don't know why we have always had these problems with Iris!  :-X :-[ ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2010, 07:32:46 PM »
I had a piece of gionocarpa from the Wallaces about four years ago, it has not flowerd for me but too dry is definately not a good idea,  I speak from the experiance of nearly loosing it, there is almost no rhizome to hold a reserve of food or water. It is in growth now,

As far as Iris goniocarpa is concerned I'm flummoxed about mine. I bought it last year, around early August, and it had a couple of straggly green shoots about 3" long. I potted it up and gave it a drop of water every so often and it kept the short straggly growth and quite frankly it hasn't changed. Where am I going wrong

Nobody going to put me right on Iris goniocarpa ???
ie spring/ summer. will try to post some more on it. what does your gionocarpa look like David?
Roma, thanks for info on Gerald Darby - It has let me identify it and it is in bud.
The clay idea has worked for me too Jamie, when I have had plants in pure grit -to sprout them or for whatever reason, and need to get something round the roots for them to grow on.

Hi Peter,

Sorry about the delay in replying to this it had quite slipped my mind. Here's a pic of my Iris goniocarpa today.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 07:34:38 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2010, 09:55:24 PM »
Pat, I said (far from) senior moment, because somehow senior sounded less objectionale than middle-aged moment. You surely haven't reached Senior status yet. ;D

Maggi if you have problems with Iris it's because you spend too much time with Erythroniums. If only we could be quite sure of an afterlife, and lived as we would like, we could devote whole lifetimes to erys in the sure and certain knowledge that there will be time for irises later. Personally, I feel it's important to cram as much in as possible now because I suspect that later there will be....Nothing!

PeterT

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2010, 10:30:02 PM »
Maggi if you have problems with Iris it's because you spend too much time with Erythroniums. If only we could be quite sure of an afterlife, and lived as we would like, we could devote whole lifetimes to erys in the sure and certain knowledge that there will be time for irises later. Personally, I feel it's important to cram as much in as possible now because I suspect that later there will be....Nothing!

Thus spake Andrew Marvell, only it wasn't Erythroniums on HIS mind, nor even sex with an Iris, at least I don't think her name was  Iris :-\

Thanks for getting back with that David, I'll try to picture mine, where did you get your gionocarpa?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:43:59 PM by Maggi Young »
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Hristo

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2010, 06:41:23 AM »
Lesley, maybe one should stipulate burial under / scattering of ashes over a rare iris?
Can't get much more involved in their growth than that eh? ;)
Personally I'm getting scattrered over a mountain top wick with Nigretella, or maybe
a slope of Iris reichenbachii, so many species, so little ash  :D :D
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2010, 09:32:48 AM »

Thanks for getting back with that David, I'll try to picture mine, where did you get your gionocarpa?

..... from Rannveig last year. Peter, we have a spelling issue ;D You refer to 'gionocarpa' my plant is 'goniocarpa'. The only reference I can find to 'gionocarpa' is in the SIGNA Database and relates to Iris attica?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:43:37 AM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Graham Catlow

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »
Hi,
Could someone please put this iris into a particular group for me please. (I had no idea there were so many types of iris until I joined the forum). It is bulbous if thats the correct term for an iris and the coating is very fibrous. I has masses of grass like foliage which is very flacid and begins to die down as the flowers appear.
Hope thats enough information. I don't expect a name but would be very pleased if someone knows.

As you will have gathered from various posts in a variety of threads I went through a stage of not retaining plant names and now wish I hadn't.

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2010, 08:28:42 PM »
Iris latifolia would be my guess and a lovely colour form!

See http://www.avonbulbs.co.uk/iris-latifolia-king-of-the-blues_1273_1265.htm
- though their photo looks more purplish
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Graham Catlow

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2010, 08:35:27 PM »
Iris latifolia would be my guess and a lovely colour form!

See http://www.avonbulbs.co.uk/iris-latifolia-king-of-the-blues_1273_1265.htm
- though their photo looks more purplish
Wow Gail that was a quick response. Thanks.
Mine is a true blue. The Avon Bulbs photo is as you say more purple but that I suppose could be the just the photo.

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal