We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris and some Irids 2010  (Read 39565 times)

arillady

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #270 on: July 23, 2010, 10:37:46 AM »
In Irises for New Zealand by Karen Glasgow she says: "Irises are occasionally attacked in a wet season by bacterial leaf spot, which is easily distinquished by brown to black spots or streaks on the leaves. A general rose spray should deal with the leaf spot, along with any aphids, which are rather fond of the bulbous irises."
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

angie

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #271 on: July 23, 2010, 11:14:24 AM »
Pat thanks for the advice. I shall go and give it a spray.
Thank you

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #272 on: July 23, 2010, 07:12:17 PM »
Iris Leaf Spot is a problem down here too Angie.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #273 on: July 24, 2010, 10:59:48 PM »
The brown spotting we get on all bearded irises is unsightly but doesn't seem to weaken or do much harm to the plant. But your spots look to me like a rust of some kind Angie. We get that too sometimes. A good general purpose anti-fungal spray should stop further spread. When growing a lot of beardeds it's a good idea to spray with a systemic fungicide/insecticide before bud set, say early spring and another followup a fortnight later.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

PeterT

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2010, 07:41:34 AM »
I'm sure its rust too Angie, rose clear is supposed to work, very common  in beds of tall bearded. the spores will have got around now so fungicide next year too and if you can- achange of location,
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Kees Green

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #275 on: July 25, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »
Any idea of this Iris, seems to do well under trees, the foliage is always well higher that the flowers.
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

PeterT

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #276 on: July 25, 2010, 02:19:24 PM »
Hi Kees It looks like Iris lazica, an unguicularis which enjoys a cooler position.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #277 on: July 25, 2010, 10:49:32 PM »
Agree, in general. I don't have lazica as such but yours is very much as expected.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

angie

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #278 on: July 26, 2010, 12:06:10 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice...its had its spray, funny how it was the only one that had the brown spots.

Angie T.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #279 on: July 26, 2010, 09:44:46 PM »
Some vareties or species are more prone than others Angie but overall, I'd give the same spray to all bearded forms as once it gets a hold it can spread and go on year to year. It's best to remove old, dead leaves and burn them and also trim back badly affected leaves as much as possible. But cut those, don't pull them unless they're quite dead.

angie

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #280 on: July 27, 2010, 08:33:47 AM »
Thanks Lesley , will do.

Angie T.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #281 on: August 06, 2010, 08:42:24 PM »
Purely by chance I came across 2009 discussion in these pages as to whether Lesley's Iris barbatula was really Iris goniocarpa but no firm conclusion was reached (I think). See Replies 811-818. Since I have Iris goniocarpa (I think!) and am growing Iris barbatula from seed that Lesley kindly sent me this discussion interested me-why did I miss it last year?

I did find a picture of I goniocarpa by Harry Jans and this seemed to me to be somewhat different to Lesley's I barbatula particularly in the leaf size and shape. What do others think?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jansalpines.com/gallery/main.php%3Fg2_view%3Dcore.DownloadItem%26g2_itemId%3D10780%26g2_serialNumber%3D2&imgrefurl=http://www.jansalpines.com/gallery/main.php%3Fg2_itemId%3D10537&usg=__yxv0sJpOORa9QUItw5K9uTTsCZw=&h=150&w=150&sz=32&hl=en&start=6&itbs=1&tbnid=tIbXOHfAdOhhlM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Diris%2Bgoniocarpa%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_en-GBGB353GB353%26tbs%3Disch:1
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

PeterT

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #282 on: August 06, 2010, 09:02:24 PM »
Magnificent research David! I have faith that The Wallises is the real gionicarpa, I think I Barbatula is in series nepalensis, related to Junos and with a root stock similar to a roscoea, That fits with my I barbatula from Crug.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2010, 11:29:34 PM »
I've not looked back at previous pictures on the thread David mentions but I'm sure the Harry Jans' picture/plant is quite different from mine and that mine IS barbatula. Two main differences are that Harry's leaves are rounded at the tips and the plant has flowers on quite lengthy stems (proportionately). In barbatula there are no stems at all, not even on the maturing pods and Harry's seems to have some mottling on the falls, which would fit, to my mind with it being in the Pseudoregelia section, along with hookeriana and kemaonensis. The rounded leaf tips would be right for that too. The leaf tips on my hookeriana are rounded.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2010, 11:36:43 PM »
Yes, having looked back - and back further to Cliff's posting - I'm very sure yours and mine David, ARE barbatula, not goniocarpa. Goniocarpa has been in seedlists recently a few times but has turned out to be bulleyana, if I remember rightly. Harry's picture is right.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal