We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris and some Irids 2010  (Read 39561 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #315 on: October 28, 2010, 07:53:26 AM »
Fermi,

That Iris filifolia is striking.  Flowers look like a dutch iris, but on bearded foliage?  Or is that just an effect in the pic?  Rather fascinating, and unlike any iris I've seen before if so. :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #316 on: October 28, 2010, 10:52:39 PM »
Iris filifolia, belongs to the same series as the Dutch and English irises. According to Kohlein, its flowers are a vibrant purple-red and the falls have a decorative orange spot and an irregular dark blue band on the margins. The leaves are "narrow-linear, but not as narrow as its name suggests."

You will, of course, be collecting seed from yours Fermi? whatever it actually is? ;D (I. halophila finally starting to germinate!)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:02:36 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #317 on: October 29, 2010, 03:25:43 AM »
Fermi,

That Iris filifolia is striking.  Flowers look like a dutch iris, but on bearded foliage?  Or is that just an effect in the pic?  Rather fascinating, and unlike any iris I've seen before if so. :o
Paul,
the iris filifolia is growing through some TBI!
Lesley,
it's never set seed before so it might need to be pollinated; I'll see if I egt a chance today - we're expecting a major rain event again soon! Probably before I can get home.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #318 on: October 29, 2010, 04:07:02 AM »
Paul,
the iris filifolia is growing through some TBI!

Ah, that explains everything. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #319 on: October 29, 2010, 11:43:08 AM »
Some beautiful Irises being shown from Australia and New Zealand in the Iris threads so I must show my minor triumph.

Iris unguicularis has flowered for me (at last!) and I think it was 2007 when it last flowered. So far only one flower but I'll settle for that. It's a lost label so if anyone can hazard a guess at a name that would be a double bonus.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #320 on: November 01, 2010, 11:51:06 PM »
A couple more in our garden,
Dutch iris "Thunderbolt"
251167-0

The first flower on Iris virginica is just about faded but a second is about to open
251169-1

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

arillady

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #321 on: November 02, 2010, 09:20:19 AM »
Ferni you just stole my thunder ;)
Plus a couple of shots of Iris pallida ssp pallida illyrica
And lastly what is known as Manon in South Australia but may be Iris sweertii??????
It is a miniature tall bearded.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:30:26 AM by arillady »
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #322 on: November 02, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »
Pat,

Can I please ask the definition of Miniature Tall Bearded?  That looks like it is rather tall to be called a miniature, isn't it?  Or is this just a category within "tall" and there are miniature, medium and tall tall beardeds?

I have a sinking feeling that I may have asked this question before? ???
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:23:07 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #323 on: November 02, 2010, 01:38:40 PM »
Pat , this Iris came from you a few years ago . Unfortunately I lost the label , but I remember that you sent me I .purpureobracteata .
 Could this be it ?

Also flowering yesterday is a favourite of mine : Iris verna , which enjoys morning sun in my garden .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #324 on: November 02, 2010, 07:30:21 PM »
Iris verna is a real favourite here too but has finished now, the result of some hot, dry winds at the end of last week. A friend down the road has the white verna just out.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #325 on: November 02, 2010, 07:34:11 PM »
Paul I may have this wrong but I think a miniature tall bearded is just that, like a tall bearded but everything smaller in proportion, size of flower, height and the clump generally. It is classed with the talls because it flowers at the same time whereas other, smaller beardeds are earlier, generally, the smaller, the earlier. Min TBs are also called "Table" irises and are certainly very attractive for table or vase decoration where the true talls would be too big.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #326 on: November 02, 2010, 08:18:57 PM »
Pat,

Can I please ask the definition of Miniature Tall Bearded?  That looks like it is rather tall to be called a miniature, isn't it?  Or is this just a category within "tall" and there are miniature, medium and tall tall beardeds?

I have a sinking feeling that I may have asked this question before? ???

Paul, does this help......... or hinder?

http://www.irises.org/growing.htm#Classification_Information:
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

arillady

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #327 on: November 02, 2010, 08:57:37 PM »
Otto yes you are correct. It is a funny species in that the flowers seem to be tucked into the foliage on some flower but others rise about it. I have a big clump of the yellow and the blue flowering now too.

Lesley and David have given the correct info on the MTB. I like them as they are dainty. There are not many in Australia. I would like to try more from seed. One of the iris species that I put in the SA Iris show caused a bit of a stir between members. It was a species that is in the beginning of the MTB class and someone thought it should have been entered in another class but another judge said it could be in either so I was fine where I had put it - in the species section. Guess you can tell that the name is not coming to me.
Been trying to get the definiative name of what "Manon" is for years. Photos of sweertii show a similar flower but not the size!!
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #328 on: November 02, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »
Thanks for the info Lesley.

Thanks for the link David.  I had come across the other classes, just not the miniature tall bearded.

Pat,

Could you give some dimensions of your plant?  It sounds interesting, but I'm still trying to work out the differences.  So they're nearly the size of a tall bearded iris in spike, but the flowers are much smaller and stems are much thinner?  They sound quite interesting.  I've not to my knowledge ever seen one, but your comment on there not being many in Australia would likely account for that.  ;D

Thanks for the info everyone.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

PeterT

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #329 on: November 03, 2010, 12:00:27 AM »
MTBs are a quite a bit smaller than TBs Paul, they can involve Iris lutescens and I think I aphylla, they are the same proportions as a TB but about half the height, therefore they are now bred with spreading falls because they are viewed from above.
The Dwarf Bearded (DBs), Border Bearded (BBs), and Intermediate Bearded (IBs) have much chunkier flowers and resemble TB flowers on short stems I think they usually involve I pumila. Each of these catagories is defined by the height the stem is supposed to reach, sometimes a plant has to have its registration changed if it consistantly produces stems too high or short for its catagory - eg reclassified from IB to TB.
There is also another catagory called the Miniature  Dwarf Bearded (MDBs) and they may involve species such as I attica and suaveolens They are even shorter than the DBs and usually shown in pots rather than cut in vases
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal