We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bee Orchid for filming  (Read 1113 times)

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Bee Orchid for filming
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:58:23 PM »
Hi,
I received this message today:

"Dear Maren,

I am looking to find for a bee orchid in flower that I could film in 4 weeks time as part of a documentary I’m working on with David Attenborough. Do you know who or where I might be able to get a flowering bee orchid from around this time? Any help you are able to give me with this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Will Benson "

If you know where to find a bee orchid (I expect he means Ophrys apifera) in flower around the 12th May, would you please contact:
willb at atlanticproductions dot co dot uk.

I can't promise that you will be on our TV screens with the great man, but it would be nice to help. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Pieter

Re: Bee Orchid for filming
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
Wow Maren, you have some very special contacts.  :o
To bad I don't have any bee orchids, it would probably be great to see your own plant in a documentary of David Attenborough.

Greetings

Pieter
Pieter
Oedelem, Belgium

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:32:22 PM »
Lots of bee orchids in the verges around us and I've got several self-sown in the garden but I don't think they usually flower till end of May/beginning June - you might want to try one of the hardy orchid nurseries which will have potted specimens and they might be able to manipulate flowering times.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:18:13 AM »
Agreed, Gail. Actually the request came via such a plant nursery, so I have my doubts whether they would be able to manipulate the flowering time exactly and at such short notice. I have passed on the request to my friends at the Hardy Orchid Society and hope they come up with something. :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal