We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: PARIS 2011  (Read 3297 times)

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
PARIS 2011
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
Dear fellow plantsmen,

The flowering season of Paris has begun and in my opinion this is the most exciting time of the year. Hopefully we will see lots of Paris pictures from you all. A few to start with:

Paris thibetica form 1 (white ovary)
Paris thibetica form 2 (pubescent)
Paris thibetica form 3 (pink ovary)
Paris axialis
Paris polyphylla x cronquistii
Paris marmorata hybrid
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

manicbotanic

Re: PARIS 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:36:10 PM »
amazing all of them .
love the marmorata hybrid

Ezeiza

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:45:40 AM »
Robin, Paris bears corms, tubers or bulbs?
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »
Paris have creeping rhizomes, but those "lumpy underground storage organs" are included in our very broad definition of "bulbs" in the forum!  ;D

If the taxonomists can change their minds and the definitions then so can we!  ;D ;) ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

PeterT

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:24:59 PM »
I would have said rhizomes, but nicely put Maggie  ;D
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

manicbotanic

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 08:57:19 PM »
hi everyone.
i bought this paris today.it could be quadrifolia but the flower is pale whiteish green.it was collected as seed from arunchal pradesh apparently!!!what do you think??
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:11:13 PM by manicbotanic »

PeterT

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:50:22 PM »
very nice Shaun, been a good weekend then?  ;)
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:33:22 PM »
A few more species of this amazing genus:

Paris japonica
Paris polyphylla alba
Paris polyphylla (early form)
Paris polyphylla var. chinensis
Paris polyphylla var. stenophylla
Paris lancifolia x delavayi
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:50:05 PM »
Dear me! I love them all... I find them very attractive plants.
Mind you, who could resist a plant with stems the colour of  "parispolyphyllaearlyform.JPG " ?
Superb!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »
The weather here this summer has been cool, foggy, grey and wet.  I noticed this curious behaviour today in 2 pots of Paris quadrifolia.  Usually this plant is sluggish but appears to be sending out stout shoots above ground. Is the soil mix not to its liking? Or has the medium been too wet causing above ground development? Or is all just normal?  I have no luck with the other species.

johnw
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:39:44 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

arisaema

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »
I'd say it looks, well, ecstatic, the rhizomes on the wild species are usually much thinner... It's a runner, so I'm guessing it's just hit the edge of the pot and pushed upwards, Smilacina japonica tends to do the same here.

Same bad luck as you with other species, I'm not sure if it's due to my mistreatment, a lack of hardiness or bad rhizomes... I've somehow managed to keep Paris luquanensis alive for two seasons in a pot, but this year it decided to turn stemless (like Tr. decumbens) ???

johnw

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »
Same bad luck as you with other species, I'm not sure if it's due to my mistreatment, a lack of hardiness or bad rhizomes... I've somehow managed to keep Paris luquanensis alive for two seasons in a pot, but this year it decided to turn stemless (like Tr. decumbens) ???

Arisaema -  Thry seem to be very confused here, wanting to come up when they should be dormant and vice-versa. Sometimes they could come up twice in a year but never lasted long.

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 04:23:56 AM »
The weather here this summer has been cool, foggy, grey and wet.  

We seem not to have an active weather thread at present so I'm using this space to hope all our North American and Canadian friends, especially on the eastern seaboard, will be safe and their properties undamaged by Hurricane Irene which sounds to be a real terror. I wish you all well through what must be a really frightening time.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 02:24:15 PM »
The weather here this summer has been cool, foggy, grey and wet.  

We seem not to have an active weather thread at present so I'm using this space to hope all our North American and Canadian friends, especially on the eastern seaboard, will be safe and their properties undamaged by Hurricane Irene which sounds to be a real terror. I wish you all well through what must be a really frightening time.

Lesley - A bit of rain fell over night, just enough to wet the streets and it is just starting again now as the Hurricane approaches NYC.  NYC is a 1.5 hour flight from here so this storm is huge, at one point it was larger than Europe!  What I don't feel is the heat and high humidty being pushed in from the Caribbean.  Also no dead (silent too as all wildlife goes for cover) calm which is an umistakable sign a Hurricane is approaching.   Still we have to move more pots inside and batten down the hatches.

10-15 inches of rain expected to the west of Irene's path. Mainly wind on the way here.

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »
It sounds as if NYC may have missed the worst but still the flooding seems bad. The more southern states have had the worst time with lives lost.

I was interested that the subway was closed in NYC as thinking of the underground in London during the war, it was used as an air-raid shelter. People went down there for safety, whereas in New York, it must be avoided because of probable flooding. London not right on the sea of course.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal