We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: May 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 23098 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: May 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2011, 08:06:14 PM »

Cohan;

Very healthy looking plant! It does stay like that all thru summer, or at least it does here in Norway. No idea about other requirements, but it seems happy here in my wet garden, so maybe avoid keeping it too dry?

Both of you: Did the Corydalis seed germinate? If not there's plenty more, and judging by the amount of seedlings popping up I'll have to collect them or the entire border will turn blue!

Tks, for the input on the Tarax, Stephen also.. from this and a comment from McMark on NARGS forum, sounds like I better keep it moist! I put it in a gravelly loamy/clay soil in a pot, and it seems fine.. may put a saucer under to keep it moist till it goes in ground eventually :)

Corys have come up nicely--starting several weeks ago or more, in quite chilly weather, thanks! If you have seed to get rid of, I'd happily take more, want to try some naturalising, but if there are other takers, no urgency  ;D

On a related note, I think I am finally seeing some action on a pot of Trillium seed sown in fall '09!

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2011, 07:01:32 PM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is Scilla bifolia.

Edit
I think it looks like Scilla litardierei.

I checked my records and you are absolutely correct Gunilla   ;D

Scilla litardierei it is
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:27:08 PM by fredg »
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

Gunilla

« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »
I think it looks like Scilla litardierei.
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Knud

« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2011, 10:42:43 PM »
Love the wedding cake tree! Wish it was a little bit hardier, had to settle for C. alternifolia here.

I too liked the Cornus controversa Christine showed, a very nice tree. Is it specifically the variegata that is not hardy to zone 7, or controversa generally? We have a few three year old seedlings of "plain" controversa that have spent the last two quite cold winters (minimum -15C, but a long cold period) outside in small pots, and they are still fine.

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2011, 10:57:48 PM »
Arisaema, you musn't judge any Ran semiverticillatus you may get by how mine behaves. After all, there have been a couple shown in flower either on the (old?) Forum or at AGS shows. Mine is a big plant now with up to a dozen noses but I am sure it is the cold, or lack of it which is the problem. To start with, it comes up far too early in late winter instead of late October/November as it does in the wild. And it grows into a looser plant than those we've seen in the AGS Bulletin. If it were possible I would pass it along to someone with a really cold, snow covered winter but as its roots must now fill the quite large trough, that's not an option. I could divide it of course but that could be fatal to the whole lot and I think it would be impossible to dig. I'd have to smash the trough off from around it. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2011, 06:13:29 AM »
Arisaema, you musn't judge any Ran semiverticillatus you may get by how mine behaves. After all, there have been a couple shown in flower either on the (old?) Forum or at AGS shows. Mine is a big plant now with up to a dozen noses but I am sure it is the cold, or lack of it which is the problem. To start with, it comes up far too early in late winter instead of late October/November as it does in the wild. And it grows into a looser plant than those we've seen in the AGS Bulletin. If it were possible I would pass it along to someone with a really cold, snow covered winter but as its roots must now fill the quite large trough, that's not an option. I could divide it of course but that could be fatal to the whole lot and I think it would be impossible to dig. I'd have to smash the trough off from around it. ???

Patience my dear Lesley, patience!!!  So worth the wait!   :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2011, 06:53:17 AM »
Some shoots of flowering now.

My selection of Epimedium colchicum 'Toplenoe moloko' (Baked Milk)

Phlox kelseyi with unknown phlox

Townsendia leptotes

Pulsatilla vulgaris Perlen Glocke

Spring flowering beds
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

arisaema

« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2011, 08:00:24 AM »
I too liked the Cornus controversa Christine showed, a very nice tree. Is it specifically the variegata that is not hardy to zone 7, or controversa generally? We have a few three year old seedlings of "plain" controversa that have spent the last two quite cold winters (minimum -15C, but a long cold period) outside in small pots, and they are still fine.

The variegated form is supposedly a (Swedish/Norwegian) zone or two more tender, H1/2 compared to H2/3 for the plain species. It shouldn't matter for you in tropical Stavanger, but I wasn't tempted to try it here in H2/3 with the last winter fresh in memory, C. alternifolia 'Argentea' was the safer bet.

Lesley;

To be honest I'm not sure my climate would suit it either, probably a little too wet and cold? That said, if I do come across fresh seeds again I'll probably give in to temptation... ;)

Ranunculus;

How many years are we talking about here?

Olga;

Stunning pictures as always! I really like that pale form of Epimedium colchicum.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2011, 08:10:46 AM »
Olga, your garden looks terrific! And lovely plants too ;D

Here are a selection of peonies flowering in my garden now. Many are seedlings without a name.

Paeonia lutea ludlowii - aiming for the roof, almost 4m tall!

295156-0   295158-1  

Paeonia mlokosewitschii
. In the cool weather we have now, the flowers stay like this for a couple weeks.

295160-2  

Paeonia Rockii group. From seed several years ago. This year it is 40+ buds.  

295162-3   295164-4  

Unnamed peonies.

295166-5   295168-6   295170-7   295172-8   295174-9  
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
. . . and some non-peonies ;D

One of the many unnamed anemones -

295176-0

And an unnamed Arisaema

295178-1   295180-2   

This shrub is always very floriferous at this time of the year - Enkianthus campanulatus 'Palibini'

295182-3   295184-4   
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ArnoldT

« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2011, 02:38:08 PM »
Clematis integrifolia
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »
isn't it amazing the range of things in flower in the northern hemisphere at this time, depending on where one lives?  My C. integrifolia will not be in bloom for ages yet, and my epimedium flowers have all gone over now except for one.  Lovely paeonies too!  Wow.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »
Spring flowering beds

Olga  - Is that a bamboo I see in the right rear of this photo? I'd be interested in the name.  It's seems to have had a rough time but no doubt will re-grow from the roots.  A lovely garden you have.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »
John
That Bamboo at the left rear of the photo is Sasa tsuboana. It has grown at my garden about 7 years. Now it's really big plant with 1.5 m diameter. Sometimes it loose it's leaves after low snow winters. But re-grow. I like very much song of it's leaves in summer, it rustles at the wind.  :)

johnw, Hoy, arisaema, thank you!
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

ArnoldT

« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2011, 08:41:04 PM »
Russian Medlar
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal