We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: May 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 23670 times)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
Re: May 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2011, 09:58:36 AM »
I thought Vancouveria hexandra had white flowers Wim, perhaps yours is chrysantha ?

Nicole,

you're right of course, it is chrysantha
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

arisaema

« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2011, 10:02:15 AM »
I thought Vancouveria hexandra had white flowers Wim, perhaps yours is chrysantha ?

Nicole,

Keep a very close eye on it, V. hexandra is perhaps the worst weed I've ever introduced in my garden - and I've grown Aegopodium 'Variegata'...

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08:37 AM »

Nicole,

Keep a very close eye on it, V. hexandra is perhaps the worst weed I've ever introduced in my garden - and I've grown Aegopodium 'Variegata'...

Really  :o :o. Thanks for the heads up, Bjørnar. If this species get's invasive too I'll have to find a solution for it, cause I want to keep, maybe in a pot.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

arisaema

« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2011, 11:33:40 AM »
Watch out for seedlings as well, it's one genus that will never be allowed back into my garden! (...and unlike the aforementioned Aegopodium it's fairly Roundup-resistant :P)

A few odds and ends below;

Clematis hirsutissima flowering at last! Not sure it was worth the 9 year wait...
Anemone nemorosa 'Green Fingers'
Trillium hybrid
Trillium camchatscense (or something like that)
Uvularia grandiflora 'Pallida'
Disporum megalanthum
Anemonella 'Diamant'
Corydalis sp. in sect. Mucronatae, or maybe a hybrid with Elatae
Trillium sulcatum

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2011, 04:41:14 PM »
Trillium kurabayashi and thThe Trillium cuneatum that I posted sometime ago is still in flower.

Epimedium wumengense wushanense.

Glaucidium palmatum.

johnw
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:22:52 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2011, 07:15:06 PM »
Trond-- I hope not, I have not yet seen any sign of anything disturbing seed pots so far--my only loss was a culinary dandelion in a pot eaten to the root by something--rabbit, squirrel, mouse, vole....lol

Wim, yes, finally starting, and now the wildflowers are going to come quickly...

Luc--lovely rock garden plants!

Bjørnar and John--great woodlanders, love the Trilliums and that Cory!  :o
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:17:51 PM by cohan »

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2011, 08:42:22 PM »
What a great display from everyone - but Wim's red polygonatum is my absolute favourite!
Vancouveria hexandra is quite vigorous here, but I wouldn't be without it, and it can be controlled. V. chrysantha seems not as hardy, as it didn't survive a winter with me.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »
I have two tiny phloxes I don't know the name of. Both  look similar to the phloxes shown by Luk (Phlox hoodii and sileniflora). Any suggestions?
in Moscow

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2011, 09:37:19 PM »
I would definitely say the second picture is sileniflora Oleg - I'm not so sure for the first picture, but it very well could be P. hoodii ...  :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
You've been waiting 9 years for your Clematis hirsutissima, Arisaema? I've been waiting more than 20 and STILL no flower!

Trond, Dicentra 'Ivory Hearts' and I think also 'Burning Hearts' are hybrids of D. peregrina so perhaps can be expected to be a little more difficult than some other dicentras. I have a beautiful book sent to me many years ago written by the aurthor, Kazuo Mori. The photos are superb but all the text except for botanical names, is in Japanese characters. But the pictures speak for themselves and there are several of D. peregrina in the wild, where it is growing in harsh, rocky scree similar to the scree where Ranunculus haastii would grow in New Zealand.

I've lost 'Ivory Hearts' twice but find it does well in a really gritty, gravelly compost. Fortunately, both times I had a few seeds so could carry on.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2011, 11:43:01 PM »
Ashley,does your Dicentra 'Burning Hearts' set seed? My 'Ivory Hearts' does and it comes true. Looks exactly like yours in flower and foliage except for flower colour of course. Maybe we could swap sometime?

Unfortunately none so far Lesley, I assumed because it's a hybrid.  However should any set then of course they're yours.

Wonderful plants everyone, both alpines and woodlanders. 
Like Anne, I find Wim's red polygonatum hard to resist.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2011, 07:30:35 AM »
Bjørnar, love those 'green fingers'.

John, Epimedium wumengense??? I've never heard of a species called like that. Is it newly named or is it Epimedium wushanense?
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2011, 07:52:55 AM »
I would definitely say the second picture is sileniflora Oleg - I'm not so sure for the first picture, but it very well could be P. hoodii ...  :-\
Thank you so much, Luc for the ID
in Moscow

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
Luit, was your Raoulia tenuicaulis from a NZ source? I ask because you seem to have a nice little Craspedia coming up through the mat.

No Lesley, it is grown here in Holland for many years, but was never a good selling plant.
I had it more than 30 years ago already and got it from a friend in those days. It is the most hardy Raoulia here without cover in winter!
The grey leaved seedling is a Hieracium which I always thought to be H. villosum, but maybe it is a H. bombycinum.
I will pull it out before it gets to big and I might loose the Raoulia ::)
Here a picture of a bigger plant with some seedlings and a picture of it together with a seedling of Campanula portenschlagiana Major.

Hieracium ? villosum 2x
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Knud

« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »
You've been waiting 9 years for your Clematis hirsutissima, Arisaema? I've been waiting more than 20 and STILL no flower!

Well worth waiting for, Lesley, I hope it will bloom for you. Ours is clearly a different variety than Ariseama's, we got the seed as Clematis hirsutissima var. hirsutissima. It first bloomed after 6-8 years, and since then offers its single flower each year, early June, normally. A highlight of my gardening year. It is in bud now, but I have included a picture from last year.

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal