We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Strongylodon macrobotrys  (Read 3935 times)

meanie

Re: Strongylodon macrobotrys
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
Arisaema - I'll stick to the lottery win plan on this one! It would depress me comparing my efforts to the specimen at the botanic gardens. Plus, I'm rapidly running out of space indoors - I joined the SRGC forum to get inspiration for outdoors!
I've just bought a large Tacca (Bat Flower) that was heavily reduced as it's bloom was over - do you have any advice on this? A little cheeky, I know.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

arisaema

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 08:52:39 AM »
Sadly no, unless you want to know how to kill it quickly? The power outages in my nursery were a blessing in disguise, no more finicky tropicals, although I do wish i hadn't proptly stuffed it to the brim with tenderish perennials...

meanie

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 09:05:34 AM »
As a hobby, growing the things that you shouldn't is great fun - not the greatest business plan though.....

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »
John Grimshaw is asking on his blog for a source for Myddleton House
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

meanie

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
This is the only listing that I've seen in the UK................

http://oldwalledgarden.com/climbers/strongylodon/strongylodon-macrobotrys-2/

I'll send him the link.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »
Jade Vine is absolutely amazing.  I remember a few years ago going up to Cairns in far north Queensland (Australia) and seeing it a few places there.  My biggest memory is a pergola across a path, where you had to part the racemes of flowers to walk through.  It covered the whole free-standing pergola, with the flowers hanging down below.  It showed it off beautifully.  The colour is just glorious, and very other-worldly as mentioned earlier in the topic.  I may manage to grow Beaugainvillea here in Canberra, but I am doubting that I could even attempt a Jade Vine.  I do grow the Snail Vine here though, which I think many would likely be surprised at.  It's in flower now.... heavenly perfume.

Thanks for starting this topic.  Great to be reminded of this plant.  Brilliant! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

meanie

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 12:44:57 PM »
Jade Vine is absolutely amazing. 

It's one of those plants where you see photos and think wow, but when you see it in the flesh you are still blown away by it!

I do grow the Snail Vine here though, which I think many would likely be surprised at.  It's in flower now.... heavenly perfume.

Thanks for starting this topic.  Great to be reminded of this plant.  Brilliant! 8)

By Snail vine do you mean Vigna caracalla (Phaseolus caracalla)? I have three that I grew from seed last year which became good sized tubers over the summer. I lifted them in the autumn and put them in pots in the conservatory for the winter, where they are leafing up really nicely now. Hopefully they should bloom this year.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal