We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Roscoea 2011  (Read 6306 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: Roscoea 2011
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »
Very nice Fred have they all multiplied for you since buying them,did they come from edrom?
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »
I've had the R. alpina for quite a few years Dave.
Not sure where it came from but it wasn't Edrom.
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

greenspan

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 10:08:46 PM »
The clear white was too much for my poor camera to cope with....

the same problem ;D...when i saw this wonderful Roscoea humeana 'Snowy Owl' the first time on a foto i was electrified...a must have. a very good guy from netherland gave me a few with some other roscoeas of his collection. it flowered this year in my garden the first time and i was so happy 8).
the second one is also a nice white species...Roscoea nepalensis (also from the kind netherland guy; many thanks if he reads here ;))

South Germany/Northern Bavaria/Z6b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 10:12:51 PM »
...when i saw this wonderful Roscoea humeana 'Snowy Owl' the first time on a foto i was electrified...a must have. a very good guy from netherland gave me a few with some other roscoeas of his collection. it flowered this year in my garden the first time and i was so happy 8).
the second one is also a nice white species...Roscoea nepalensis (also from the kind netherland guy; many thanks if he reads here ;))

You are a lucky man... beautiful white Roscoeas  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2011, 04:16:28 AM »
Somehow I've managed to miss this thread entirely. Some wonderful Roscoes all.  The Snow Owl and nepalensis are real eye-catchers.  I wonder about the hardiness of these Roscoeas.  A few friends gorw some but haven't had them through a really severe winter yet, one day they'll find out as we are long overdue for one.

johnw
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:38:38 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

arisaema

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2011, 06:02:25 AM »
I've given up over-wintering R. cautleyoides here, and R. humeana passed away this winter as well. R. schneideriana seems fully hardy down to -20C, and R. alpina scillifolia should also be fully hardy, although it's so ugly and small flowered that I decided to remove it last year.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:02:05 AM by arisaema »

greenspan

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »
yes the hardiness might be a problem in some species. to grow them outside while the winter is walking a fine line. full hardy over years here in my zone6b are cautleyoides 'Jeffry Thomas', tibetica, purpurea, scillifolia, scillifolia var. atropurpurea. good to hear that schneideriana is hard in norway (with snowcover?). i'll let them stay outside next winter. humeana is borderline...i lost some but also some survived (normal form). but i don't make experiments with such precious species like the white humeana + nepalensis or the lovely pastel yellow flowering humeana 'Long Acre Sunrise' till i haven't enough copies grown from seed.

not an eyecatcher but worth to grow in my mind even though the flower is small and short living (in sunny places)...Roscoea scillifolia f. atropurpurea
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:51:58 AM by greenspan »
South Germany/Northern Bavaria/Z6b

arisaema

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
Without snowcover. R. tibetica was also hardy here for years, but it was overgrown by a Hosta and I think it's gone now. I've only seen R. cautleyoides grow at relatively low altitudes in Lijiang and around Baoshan, at higher altitudes it's gradually replaced by R. humeana, and further north in yet higher altitudes it's replaced by R. tibetica and R. schneideriana.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
Roscoea humeana alba has one of the largest flowers of the genus, I think. It is, without doubt, THE most beautiful  8) I have loved it since I first saw it in a slide from Ron McBeath and it was one of the most exciting days for our garden when we obtained it!  It's not up yet this year.... hope it is okay.  :o

All is well, our R. humeana alba is up and flowering.
Ian reminds me that our first glimpse of this plant was in a photo in the SRGC Journal by the late George Kirkpatrick.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2011, 02:23:35 PM »
Thanks, this helps a great deal everyone. I will have to try some seed from the seedex next time.

johnw
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:35:03 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »
I'm thinking of re-locating my small collection of Roscoea to a more shady position, at present they are in full sun. When's the best time to do it please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 07:51:03 PM »
Anyone?????????????
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2011, 08:14:19 PM »
David
the ideal time would be just as they are about to start into growth but it would be difficult to locate them then and searching may cause unnecessary damage.
I would opt to move them as the leaves start to yellow they start to go down at the end of this season.
I have moved a number of ours successfully at that time before.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2011, 08:16:08 PM »
Many thanks for that Ian.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 07:40:16 AM »
'Greenspan', wonderfull white Roscoea!
I have only the more common ones:
1. Roscoea auriculata var. beesiana at its best
2. Roscoea humeana has just started flowering

Poul
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:11:02 AM by pehe »
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal